Week 6: Elder(2-3) vs. St. Xavier(5-0)

ElderHSfan02

I don't think much needs to be said. Elder is up against it this week against defending state champs St. X. They return 17 starters from last year's team. This was one everyone assumed would be an L on the schedule.

St. X 49
Elder 21

Will be interesting to see if X dominates and then runs the score up! Pay back for the lopsided score in 2018 when Elder beat X 51-26 and racked up almost 600 yards of offense against a decent St. X defense.

I see everyone is taking the 2-3 record this year well. What a dumpster fire this thread has turned into. Everyone makes the playoffs now and anything can happen in the playoffs. Get better every week, let the cards fall and see what can happen in the playoffs. Beat X.

Will be interesting to see if X dominates and then runs the score up! Pay back for the lopsided score in 2018 when Elder beat X 51-26 and racked up almost 600 yards of offense against a decent St. X defense.

In very lopsided games, most HS teams will play their starters and score every chance they get for the 1st half. You might see a team up 49-0 at halftime, but then they will sub and running clock will keep game moving. Final score might end up 56-14 when they could have won 80-0 if they wanted.

I see this playing out similar to Moeller game last week. It will be competitive. This isn't Elder vs. West Hi, but over the course of 4 quarters X offensive line will wear Elder down. I think Elder can keep it respectable.

I don't see Specht blatantly running up score. They haven't done that to any other teams after the running clock has started.

In very lopsided games, most HS teams will play their starters and score every chance they get for the 1st half. You might see a team up 49-0 at halftime, but then they will sub and running clock will keep game moving. Final score might end up 56-14 when they could have won 80-0 if they wanted.

I see this playing out similar to Moeller game last week. It will be competitive. This isn't Elder vs. West Hi, but over the course of 4 quarters X offensive line will wear Elder down. I think Elder can keep it respectable.

I don't see Specht blatantly running up score. They haven't done that to any other teams after the running clock has started.
The X vs Moe game wasn’t competitive. This game won’t be either. E has no chance to move the ball. The OL played a little better last week, but they were going up against a much weaker D. Elder will try to move the pocket and everything will be covered. The Elder D gave up big plays in the air and that Offense wasn’t nearly as good as X.

E 10

I see everyone is taking the 2-3 record this year well. What a dumpster fire this thread has turned into. Everyone makes the playoffs now and anything can happen in the playoffs. Get better every week, let the cards fall and see what can happen in the playoffs. Beat X.
I think when you see the team struggle, you’re asking “why” - and when you play the schedule Elder plays, you see a difference in talent level and athleticism.

So the story turns to that and getting better athletes. It’s not everything, but it’s a glaring difference they’re going to have to figure out one way or the other (attracting more talent or developing better internally).

This only really becomes evident when they play the schedule they play, but at the same time, these are teams you need to beat to compete at the highest level of the state.

anything can happen in the playoffs. Get better every week, let the cards fall and see what can happen in the playoffs. Beat X
Not really. You can pretty much guarantee X is going to be in the Regional Final and it’ll probably be vs West.

And while there were definitely some improvements vs Ville X, Cincy X is a far better team and Elder isn’t close to the level of play they need to be to even make the game close vs Cincy X.

Sanity is not welcome here. Please take note. ?

Sanity is not welcome here. Please take note. ?
Don’t mistake blind optimism with sanity. Elder is not a “bad” team by any stretch. However, they’re nowhere near X’s level. I don’t enjoy saying that, I hate it in fact, but I’m not going to lie and blow smoke.

There’s no logical reason for Elder to be in this game.

Elder obviously needs a couple breaks to go its way. X will focus on Ramsey...can anyone else on the Elder offense step up? Can Coach Ramsey design plays for others and can the o-line give the QB enough time to execute?

Unfortunately, so many things need to go Elder's way, and it's just not likely to happen over the course of the entire game.

Elder obviously needs a couple breaks to go its way. X will focus on Ramsey...can anyone else on the Elder offense step up? Can Coach Ramsey design plays for others and can the o-line give the QB enough time to execute?

Unfortunately, so many things need to go Elder's way, and it's just not likely to happen over the course of the entire game.
They have to have the opportunity to step up. More weapons need to be utilized.

Like I said before, I’m sure they’ll try to roll out Hambleton and move the pocket, but X is just going to drop a LB in the flat and cut off that quarter of the field. I really don’t see any way they move the ball. Maybe similar some quick screens out to the field to get Ramsey or Flowers the ball in space?

Defensively, I’m not as high on the secondary as I was to start the year. A few busted Cvg last week and getting burnt on a deep ball makes me think they’re not going to be able to cover X vertically.

You already know the more Elder loses the more Pboy will piss,moan and spew non sense. I feel sorry for the folks that will be sitting next to this moron at RDI Stadium. Can you imagine paying 10-15$ sitting next to that jack wagon?

You already know the more Elder loses the more Pboy will piss,moan and spew non sense. I feel sorry for the folks that will be sitting next to this moron at RDI Stadium. Can you imagine paying 10-15$ sitting next to that jack wagon?
I stand. And again, you’re obsession with me is weird.

You may not like his delivery, but is he really wrong about his main message? I don’t think so, in fact, I’ve never thought so.

there’s no reason elder can’t do everything in their power to raise their athletic and academic profile By trying to seek out the best band members, AP scholars, football players, volleyball players, drama student, debate team members, etc. etc.

Football is just as important to some students as grades or mastering the trumpet is to other students.

Admittedly, I haven't seen an entire game from start to finish this season, which is very rare for me, so the "blind optimism" is all I have. Elder has won plenty of games they had no business winning. I'll never say they have zero shot. It does seem that they'll need several bounces to go their way. All is not lost, the sun will come up tomorrow. Everyone just needs to relax a little bit.

there’s no reason elder can’t do everything in their power to raise their athletic and academic profile By trying to seek out the best band members, AP scholars, football players, volleyball players, drama student, debate team members, etc. etc.

Get ready for another thread to be debates on this.

You may not like his delivery, but is he really wrong about his main message? I don’t think so, in fact, I’ve never thought so.

Football is just as important to some students as grades or mastering the trumpet is to other students.
A non Elder grad infatuated with how Elder runs their business.... Weird.

Elder is having a sub par season by Elder standards and X is loaded.... Not a good combination. Best of luck to the Panthers but I don't see this one ending well.

Maybe if Elder could just crack the Columbus, Louisville or Indianapolis markets and get a few stud players we'd have a better chance.

Elder is having a sub par season by Elder standards and X is loaded.... Not a good combination. Best of luck to the Panthers but I don't see this one ending well.

Maybe if Elder could just crack the Columbus, Louisville or Indianapolis markets and get a few stud players we'd have a better chance.
I’m glad this is funny to you, but some of us actually care about the success of the team.

Admittedly, I haven't seen an entire game from start to finish this season, which is very rare for me, so the "blind optimism" is all I have. Elder has won plenty of games they had no business winning. I'll never say they have zero shot.
When is the last time that happened? 2014 when they beat Eds?

I’m glad this is funny to you, but some of us actually care about the success of the team.
No, I find you and the UC guy funny.... Still living life like you're 17 years old. Grow up and stop getting your jollies off someone else's teenage kids.

What exactly is pboy wrong about? Elder people may not WANT to do the things he says, but there is evidence of success all over the place using the model he’s proposing.

So who’s asking the wrong questions here?

This is obvious every week, but more so when a team is a big underdog. They have to win the turnover battle or keep it at 0. Ball control will be key this week. Easier said than done, but to have a chance no turnovers is a must. The St. Ed's game got out of hand, because of turnovers and not scoring on a couple chances in St. Ed's territory.

St. X seems to take what the defense gives them. They are very comfortable running the ball for 5-6 yards a carry, and then they will pass extremely effectively when teams put more in the box. Disguising the defense presnap could help.

With the weather cooling off, will we see Ramsey on defense more this Friday? I'm not a fan of moral victories, but if Elder plays this close on the road it would be big for the team's confidence.

No, I find you and the UC guy funny.... Still living life like you're 17 years old. Grow up and stop getting your jollies off someone else's teenage kids.
I care about Elder, he doesn’t. Why are the other GCL schools allowed to take football seriously but in your eyes it’s some badge of honor to not care?