Week 6: Elder(2-3) vs. St. Xavier(5-0)

I felt like it would be a blowout, but it’s a little more disheartening after they did legitimately play a solid 1st half. As I said, there’s better days ahead. Sometimes you’ve got to eat that s*** sandwich to appreciate your filet mignon.
I thought Elder played a tough, gutty game for a half tonight; Coach Ramsay showed his usual imaginative offensive play-calling excellence-- changing up both the play selection and the tempo of Elder's offense to throw X's first team defense off-balance (after X had a dominant start to the 1st half)-- and suddenly, mid-way through the 2nd quarter, it was 14-14, and Elder was looking spry.

Then, two things happened:
1) Kemper came out and hit that home run on the kickoff return; and...
2) Specht made his usual defensive adjustments at half-time-- and X suddenly found a way to shut down Elder's offense in the second half.

Kemper's return of the 2nd half kickoff was electrifying-- but. as much as that energized X (and probably demoralized Elder), I think the defensive adjustments that X made at half-time were probably more important to explaining the ultimate result of this game. After the half, X was getting to Hambleton more quickly again, giving him almost no time to throw-- and those "quick hitter" passes to the sideline were not really being executed any more...

Flowers had been so effective on those plays in the first half-- but X pretty much neutralized him as a threat in the second half; i don't think it was unrelated to the fact that Flowers almost got his head separated from his body, on a particularly vicious gang-tackle, on Elder's opening kickoff return of the second half-- and did not look OK for at least 3-4 plays after that (despite which, Elder/Ramsay left him out there hobbling around, looking dazed-- Elder even had him run the ball on the first play after that tackle, and again, he got up not looking "right").

Last edited:
Movin’ on - X is a once every 20 year team. Moeller will be a tough game, and all remaining games are winnable.
I think this is a very accurate statement. St X is starting 18 or 19 Seniors and most of these kids are two year starters and some are even three year starters. Coverdale is playing Chess with St X offense while everyone else is trying to defend them with Checkers.

My biggest concern for StX is they will have to make a run in the playoffs without having to play any tough games. This team is not going to be battle tested like they were last season going into the playoffs. Still not sure why Cathedral wasn't on the schedule. In the end it really may not matter because StX has so many weapons on offense and defense, but time will tell.

So I know this is an Elder forum, but having played both teams now, who has the edge in a St. Ed’s, St. X matchup?

X is a once every 20 yr team,LOL! I’m not sure this Elder Team will Win a GCL Game this year.
Well they’re damn good. I didn’t say Elder was all that great, and you might be right.

Anyone with eyes could see the vast difference in talent, speed and athleticism. St X is on another level. They were better at every position, and that’s not an over reaction.

The difference in talent will continue to widen under the current model. It’s pretty clear what’s happening.

Movin’ on - X is a once every 20 year team. Moeller will be a tough game, and all remaining games are winnable.
I guess you don't remember the X teams in 2005 and 2007 that were both undefeated state champions. The team this year is very good too but the schedule this year isn't that hard compared to previous years as several of St. X's opponents are down this year. I am not ready yet to say that this current St. X team is better than the 05 or 07 teams.

I guess you don't remember the X teams in 2005 and 2007 that were both undefeated state champions. The team this year is very good too but the schedule this year isn't that hard compared to previous years as several of St. X's opponents are down this year. I am not ready yet to say that this current St. X team is better than the 05 or 07 teams.
Ok, 15 years not 20 - the point is, they’re just better and it’s not really all that close.

So I know this is an Elder forum, but having played both teams now, who has the edge in a St. Ed’s, St. X matchup?
Don’t care. We’re not going to turn this into a jock riding thread for both those teams.

Last edited:
Don’t care. We’re not going to turn this into a jock riding thread for both those teams.
So says the Teenage boy “jock riding” Leader. Come on Pboy you know you were the guy on here making Hambleton out to be a D1 prospect and Ramsey the best player Elder has seen in I don’t know how long. Please tell us again what kind of Potential these Players and this Team possess. Will make everyone feel better after last nights beat down.

X and Ed’s maybe a very good game. Both are a step or 2 above the rest in Ohio is my opinion

Ok, 15 years not 20 - the point is, they’re just better and it’s not really all that close.
All of us that truly follow HS Football already know X is best Team around here. You the guy constantly talking sh it and making stuff up. You a lot like Pboy (what a shame) don’t know a whole lot about competitive HS Sports.

All of us that truly follow HS Football already know X is best Team around here. You the guy constantly talking sh it and making stuff up. You a lot like Pboy (what a shame) don’t know a whole lot about competitive HS Sports.
I post what my eyes see.

And my eyes saw a vast difference in talent. Do you disagree?

So says the Teenage boy “jock riding” Leader. Come on Pboy you know you were the guy on here making Hambleton out to be a D1 prospect and Ramsey the best player Elder has seen in I don’t know how long. Please tell us again what kind of Potential these Players and this Team possess. Will make everyone feel better after last nights beat down.

X and Ed’s maybe a very good game. Both are a step or 2 above the rest in Ohio is my opinion
Ramsey is one of the best athletes to ever play at Elder. No player has ever been asked to shoulder as much as him. Hambleton is a really good QB, if you weren’t so completely ignorant of the actual game you’d see that. Do you think Patrick Mahomes sucks bc he had a bad SB where he was running for his life the whole game?

Admission of some true things is very tough for the proud purple guys. Admission is mostly made on here through silence.

Getting in the weight room is great, but the speed, agility and athleticism difference was off the charts across the board.

When Elders second team played, they looked like JV guys, TBH, and most of them were Seniors and Juniors.

I just don’t see the talent across the board, and from what others have said, the feeder classes aren’t strong at all (not surprising as enrollment continues to dwindle).

I think LaSalle and Elder will be battling it out for last place in the foreseeable future. Most of the kids on the field were completely overmatched last night, and it’s only going to get worse with limited recruiting to westside feeder schools.

Scary thing is - we were told this senior class was the chosen class. Perhaps they should stop crowning grade school legends for 4 year careers and start developing talent of more kids when they get there.

People have to start getting real about the real reasons they’re not very good. If if you can’t face the truth, then stop complaining like babies when they lose and people point out the obvious things that your psyche doesn’t allow you to admit.

I don’t think you know a whole lot about anything. I think you just like stirring the pot and saying idiotic things to get a rise out of me.

Smarty knows the truth, he just won’t admit it because it means certain people have been right all along.

This board needs a psychologist for all of the defense mechanisms and inferiority complexes.

Ramsey is one of the best athletes to ever play at Elder. No player has ever been asked to shoulder as much as him. Hambleton is a really good QB, if you weren’t so completely ignorant of the actual game you’d see that. Do you think Patrick Mahomes sucks bc he had a bad SB where he was running for his life the whole game?
There’s no reason he should have to shoulder that much. That’s a choice, not a necessity.

LOL - “You’re stealing my thunder”

Word to the wise pboy, your diatribes will never gain traction here. People are in denial. At least I realize that.

Your insistence of continually trying to take the other side when it comes to me let’s me know I’m right in the money. Everyone else too.

But I bet there was still tailgating, pictures after the game, and families thrilled their Johnny got some minutes in the second half.

As long as everyone had fun.

But I bet there was still tailgating, pictures after the game, and families thrilled their Johnny got some minutes in the second half.

As long as everyone had fun.

You say this like that's not what's actually important. I don't know how Elder does it (sounds like you and pboy are in the minority), but winning should be secondary to personal development. I'm all for a little smack to add some atmosphere, but don't be that old man that freaks out because some 17 year old didn't live up to your expectations. ?

Well they’re damn good. I didn’t say Elder was all that great, and you might be right.

Anyone with eyes could see the vast difference in talent, speed and athleticism. St X is on another level. They were better at every position, and that’s not an over reaction.

The difference in talent will continue to widen under the current model. It’s pretty clear what’s happening.
I have followed football in this area for a long time. The best team that I have ever seen come through was 2004 Colerain. I think this X team, if everything plays out could be on par with that team. For reference, I've included Colerain's playoff scores below. I remember thinking our Crusader's had a shot. What a dumb thought...

11/6H# Elder (7-4)[1:4]
W
38-3
11/13N# Centerville (11-1)[1:4]
W
35-0
11/20N# Archbishop Moeller (10-3)[1:4]
W
34-6
11/27N# Worthington Kilbourne (11-3)[1:3]
W
34-3
12/4N# Canton McKinley (11-4)[1:2]
W
50-10

You say this like that's not what's actually important. I don't know how Elder does it (sounds like you and pboy are in the minority), but winning should be secondary to personal development. I'm all for a little smack to add some atmosphere, but don't be that old man that freaks out because some 17 year old didn't live up to your expectations. ?
The 17-year-olds are awesome, I have zero issue with the kids on the field. The talent gap on the field is not a testament to the kids. It’s a consequence of years of decisions, inaction and lack of broad development.

Last edited:
I have followed football in this area for a long time. The best team that I have ever seen come through was 2004 Colerain. I think this X team, if everything plays out could be on par with that team. For reference, I've included Colerain's playoff scores below. I remember thinking our Crusader's had a shot. What a dumb thought...

11/6H# Elder (7-4)[1:4]
W

38-3

11/13N# Centerville (11-1)[1:4]
W

35-0

11/20N# Archbishop Moeller (10-3)[1:4]
W

34-6

11/27N# Worthington Kilbourne (11-3)[1:3]
W

34-3

12/4N# Canton McKinley (11-4)[1:2]
W

50-10
I agree, this Saint Xavier team has all of the pieces. I would however probably give the edge to Colerain’s defense, they were nasty. Saint X offense is probably better and more balanced.

And have you ever seen an elder versus Saint X game with that big of a talent gap? It was beyond significant.

Admission of some true things is very tough for the proud purple guys. Admission is mostly made on here through silence.

Getting in the weight room is great, but the speed, agility and athleticism difference was off the charts across the board.

When Elders second team played, they looked like JV guys, TBH, and most of them were Seniors and Juniors.

I just don’t see the talent across the board, and from what others have said, the feeder classes aren’t strong at all (not surprising as enrollment continues to dwindle).

I think LaSalle and Elder will be battling it out for last place in the foreseeable future. Most of the kids on the field were completely overmatched last night, and it’s only going to get worse with limited recruiting to westside feeder schools.

Scary thing is - we were told this senior class was the chosen class. Perhaps they should stop crowning grade school legends for 4 year careers and start developing talent of more kids when they get there.

People have to start getting real about the real reasons they’re not very good. If if you can’t face the truth, then stop complaining like babies when they lose and people point out the obvious things that your psyche doesn’t allow you to admit.

Who hurt you?

The first series of offense going backwards and then St. X going right down the field easily for first touchdown you had a feeling this is going to get ugly fast. Big props to this Elder team for fighting back and not letting it get out of hand in the 1st half. The defense had a couple big stops and the offense was able to score twice. They made a game out of it for the first half and hopefully that is a confidence builder the rest of the way. The 2nd half starting with the kickoff return was very disappointing, but I'm not going to let it spoil what was a good 1st half of football to watch. The oline will have to continue to get better to give Hambleton some time to throw. He was pressured too quickly too often.

The player of the game for me for Elder is Ben Hambleton. None of us can know how difficult it is to try and stand in the pocket and make an accurate throw like he did all game constantly with 6'3, 6'4" defensive ends and linebackers in your face all night. He took many hits include a few blatant late hits, but got up every time and ready for next play. He had no turnovers and really gave the team a chance tonight. His receivers came up with a couple big catches to help out, but for this game I thought Hambleton had a gutsy performance.

The last two Elder-X games Specht has found a way to scheme to take Drew Ramsey out of the game. Elder has to figure out how to get the ball in his hands more to make plays. I guess if they're going to double team it's hard, but maybe just take your chances throwing deep to him and let him try and make a play.

The four hardest games on the schedule are now past this team(Pick Central, Ed's, Lou. X, Cin. X). All 4 very good teams with Ed's and X on another level than PC, Lou. X, and Elder. I hope this team can rebound this week, because the team really needs a win for confidence, and I know these kids work their butt off and deserve a win.

The season is not over. Win out and they still have good chance at a home playoff game. Time to move on and get better from this.

The talent level on the top programs in the state has elevated with open borders. You can see it every week. The best programs continue to hoard these athletes and good players.

Elders talent has pretty much remained the same as it’s always been. It’s not bad talent, but it’s impossible to keep up with what’s going on without doing it too. Impossible.

Elder, I believe, at one point recently was the smallest D1 school. So their numbers are lower and they don’t utilize open borders - double whammy.

Just move to D2 or play an easier schedule. The talent gap isn’t going to close, it’s going to widen the longer they continue to operate the same way they did back in 1985.

ElserHsFan02 - if it’s so funny what part of what I say do you disagree with? You people have your damn heads in the sand.