Week 5: Lakota West (4-0) at Princeton (4-0)

Parker's state title is so far in history, and the game has evolved so much since he won it, that it isn't even remotely relevant to this discussion. Look back 5 years and let's talk about what he's been doing recently.

Parker is a wonderful recruiter and a terrible coach. His teams win in spite of him rather than because of him. I have never seen a more poorly coached defense full of such exceptional athletes as his recent WW teams were.

Nobody gives a flying F if you are able to shutout .500 and below football teams, those games are meaningless. What happens against the true top 10 teams when they finally play?

Parkers recent record his last few years at WW and continuing last year was a legacy of NEVER winning games he wasn't supposed to on paper, and sometimes losing ones he should definitely have won. Miyan Williams was a once-in-a-generation, sure fire pro RB and was surrounded by plenty of other kids playing in college. That any of those teams only made 1 final (where they were absolutely crushed) is a damning indictment of his ability to coach.

This Princeton team is loaded with talent, no one denies it. And a win here will FINALLY be a recent win for Parker that on paper he was supposed to not win. But unless he backs it up with anything other than a regional title, I'm not sure why anyone should change their opinions about his current ability to coach football.

If you want to talk about who can coach football right now, look at the game they played last year, not this state title from over a decade ago BS.
Didn't Parker make the State title game in 2017? And the final 4 the next year? Also we're the warriors expected to beat elder Moeller LaSalle etc all the multiple times they've beaten each team?

The common comments in this thread were:
  1. Lakota West Defense can't handle Princeton.
  2. RJ West would be equal or better than Bolden.
  3. You can use stats to determine how certain players will play against good teams.
  4. Parker is a better coach than Bolden.
I think Princeton is a good team, but they didn't play assignment football, were out schemed on the coaching side and shot themselves in the foot with penalties.

Princeton hasn't made the jump to the top level yet. They have the talent to beat inferior teams, which is evident by their 11-2 record last year and their start this year. But they aren't necessarily ready to compete against the Top 2-3 in the City. Need more discipline and game planning.

Didn't Parker make the State title game in 2017? And the final 4 the next year? Also we're the warriors expected to beat elder Moeller LaSalle etc all the multiple times they've beaten each team?

Yep, with a team full of talent that should have won the title both of those years, and would have with proper coaching.

Coach Parkers' recent teams always underperform in big games. Period.

Yet another example tonight.

He is not a good coach. His teams regularly give up 30+ points in important games, like tonight.

But hey, at least the loud-mouth Princeton fans in this thread can look back at the fond memories of three shutouts against tomato cans and a state title that Parker won with a completely different school a decade ago, and try to pretend that any of that doesn't have 1/10th the meaning that last year's and tonight's games meant.

Yep, with a team full of talent that should have won the title both of those years, and would have with proper coaching.

He is not a good coach. His teams regularly give up 30+ points in important games, like tonight.

But hey, at least the loud-mouth Princeton fans in this thread can look back at the fond memories of three shutouts against tomato cans and a state title that Parker won with a completely different school a decade ago, and try to pretend that any of that doesn't have 1/10th the meaning that last year's and tonight's games meant.
Hats off to West , but you better win something besides the GMC if you think your that good .

-I thought the punt returner was down for Princeton.

-Penalties were pretty bad for Princeton but LW had their fair share.

-RJ West held onto the ball too long on about four or five plays and from then on out, Princetons play calling was as if they expected to bust the 70 yard run the rest of the game. Down 17-0 at the half and they get the ball first just to go three and out on three straight read options. Ballgame. You have to put more faith in your receivers to go make plays. Absolutely no urgency from the Vikings offense and that is in no part an indictment on the players.

-Mitch Bolden didn't exactly kill it.

-Very impressed with Minich. I don't know if he's impact player at Notre Dame good, but he was great tonight.

-Weird game. No flow. Lots of whistles. No juice in the stadium despite enormous crowd.

What loud mouthing?

What loud mouthing?
I think this was directed at Kapernick for his comments re: Parker. When someone posted West will win for Coaching, he went into a diatribe about how good of a coach he was and incorrectly stating that Parker has more State Titles.

I think Parker is a good coach and knows how to coach with talent, but he's not there yet to compete against the best at all levels....discipline, game planning, adjustments and game management. In the local area, there's definitely a tier of like 3-4 coaches that are above the rest and it only is evident when the best teams play each other.

Are you serious right now? I'm celebrating a win, but I'll collect up all the posts for you tomorrow from this thread and earlier GMC threads so you can see the ignorance on full display.
Yes I'm serious. It's been reasonable discussion in here.

-I thought the punt returner was down for Princeton.

-Penalties were pretty bad for Princeton but LW had their fair share.

-RJ West held onto the ball too long on about four or five plays and from then on out, Princetons play calling was as if they expected to bust the 70 yard run the rest of the game. Down 17-0 at the half and they get the ball first just to go three and out on three straight read options. Ballgame. You have to put more faith in your receivers to go make plays. Absolutely no urgency from the Vikings offense and that is in no part an indictment on the players.

-Mitch Bolden didn't exactly kill it.

-Very impressed with Minich. I don't know if he's impact player at Notre Dame good, but he was great tonight.

-Weird game. No flow. Lots of whistles. No juice in the stadium despite enormous crowd.
I agree with a lot of what you said here.

Crazy that LW actually had 50 yards more in penalties than Princeton. At least 30 of those were on change of possession, so it didn't affect the down and distance. LW did a better job of getting chunks of yards back to make it 3rd and manageable and was able to hit 2 3rd and 20+ passes.

Mitch didn't kill it, but he definitely performed at a high level. 200 Total Yards. 131 passing on a respectable 8/15 for a 8.3 Avg per attempt. He worked his way around the pocket and kept his eyes down field to make plays. He had 2 drops and 1 or 2 batted down on screens. Other than that he was on-target outside the 3 terrible throws in a row on the same possession in the 3rd.

I was baffled by Princeton's offense. Yes, West is good, but Princeton didn't even do anything to challenge them. The power running game was effective, but you can't drive all the way down the field that way because West's Dline will break through one out of every 4 runs or a penalty will get you off schedule. Is this all on the OC? Is he new? Experience? This is where Princeton was exposed. They obviously just out talented and athleted everyone thus far.

Defensively, Princeton showed flashes. If they have a good DC or Parker is actually a good X's and O's coach, I'd expect them to make adjustments in a future match-up. They brought a lot of pressure and I think Mitch's experience helped LW bc he didn't get rattled into bad plays. Think Princeton fairs well against 95% of other schools with that D.

I like the high powered offense of Princeton. Princeton will light up LW like a Christmas tree.
Christmas Tree Vintage GIF

I was baffled by Princeton's offense. Yes, West is good, but Princeton didn't even do anything to challenge them. The power running game was effective, but you can't drive all the way down the field that way because West's Dline will break through one out of every 4 runs or a penalty will get you off schedule. Is this all on the OC?
I was too. And yes I put it on the OC. Princeton threw the ball 13 times. And the only only shot they took resulted in a defensive PI. He didn’t put his team in a position to compete. Too much talent in the receiver group to only throw it 13 times. When is this offense going to open up? Princeton has only thrown it 71 times this season. Congrats to West. Best of luck the rest of the season.

I will say this again Bolden>RJ West

People saying why didn’t Princeton throw more are you joking? You can’t throw on West, they ran the ball like they was supposed too. West is just too good on Defense it was men amongst boys tonight.

We need to lay to rest the Lakota West has no offense takes. They always score plenty when they need too. Team is solid, they can win in so many different ways.