Week 5: Elder(2-2) vs. Louisville St. Xavier(2-1)

David Montgomery, from Mt Healthy who was teammates with an Elder player, is someone Elder should be able to attract. The facilities and opportunity to play in the Pit should be a huge selling point. And maybe he still decides Elder isn’t for him, that’s fine, but they need to raise awareness of these opportunities.

They can pull kids in from all over Hamilton County and it should be a goal to do so. And Eds is not a difft type of school. This is the s*** that drives me insane. You just accept that Elder isn’t supposed to be as good as those schools, so you’re ok when they come into the Pit and kick their teeth in. No, that’s horses***. Elder shouldn’t be ok with being second fiddle to anyone. It’s ok to have down yrs, but this idea they shouldn’t be as good as Eds or X is garbage.
I’d have to 100% agree with pboy here. These fake walls that people say exist are crap.

Your right, my fault. What was I thinking with an all state DE at 6'0 180lb. How silly. He was huge. Or All SW Ohio LB at 5'6" 165. That was just my last year as a DC. Both started in college for 3 years. Neither of them got taller. But you are right, size is paramount and clearly small guys never really succeed in football.
Tried to tell you Pboy clueless about athletics.
David Montgomery, from Mt Healthy who was teammates with an Elder player, is someone Elder should be able to attract. The facilities and opportunity to play in the Pit should be a huge selling point. And maybe he still decides Elder isn’t for him, that’s fine, but they need to raise awareness of these opportunities.
Elder never had a chance of David Montgomery. Pboy bs thinks because Montgomery had a Teammate who attended Elder that Elder may have had a shot. This is just pboys latest bs. I’m friends with a few of Montgomery’s old Youth and HS Coaches and mentors one of which is a former Mt. Healthy QB himself.

Pboy also doesn’t comprehend that there is more to Ed’s,X and Elder than Football. Pboy why don’t you ever act stupid and talk crazy for the swim team or bowling team?

Last edited:
“There’s more to Elder than football” ONLY comes out in years with bad records.

I agree there’s much more to Elder than football, but it’s only used sparingly.

Elder never had a chance of David Montgomery. Pboy bs thinks because Montgomery had a Teammate who attended Elder that Elder may have had a shot. This is just pboys latest bs. I’m friends with a few of Montgomery’s old Youth and HS Coaches and mentors one of which is a former Mt. Healthy QB himself.

Pboy also doesn’t comprehend that there is more to Ed’s,X and Elder than Football. Pboy why don’t you ever act stupid and talk crazy for the swim team or bowling team?
Why don’t you ever talk about the swim team or bowling team? And Montgomery was just one example. The bottom line is Elder needs more talent. Make being located in Price Hill an advantage. The Feeders will always be the foundation of the program but they need to fill in the gaps from outside.

I’m tired of the Elder fans looking for excuses as to why they should never beat Eds or X. To be clear, I’m not saying they should beat these teams every year, but Elder shouldn’t be the Washington Generals to their Harlem Globetrotters.

I was at the Eds game (I’m allowed back), and as the game was getting out of hand, there were Elder fans laughing at how badly Elder was getting beaten. It made me sick to my stomach seeing that crap. That’s not how things should be.

Again, this lackadaisical attitude some fans have, like the game is secondary to the tailgating and socializing, doesn’t sit well with me at all. I know it’s not most fans, but there’s more like this than there should be.

Last edited:

Well said sir.

Well said sir.
I could give you many other examples: Spencer Ware, Adolphous Washington, Chris Oates, Corey Kiner. All had some connection to guys who played at Elder. I don’t think it’s an exaggeration at all to say Elder wins a state title in ‘08 & ‘09 with Ware and they win 2 yrs ago with Kiner.

You don’t build the type of weight room Elder did without the intention of being a premier program in the state.

That weight room is for west side kids with a “dream”.

There’s a reason they don’t go after those kids, and we all know that reason. Little Johnny doesn’t play if they go get those kids. Can’t have that.

Same reason they don’t open up tryouts at a younger age in their select affiliated programs. Can’t have outsiders taking spots. Have to keep Johnny control in-house.

X, Moe, and LaSalle all have advantages that Elder doesnt, especially X and Moe. Location, location, location. Getting to and from Elder is difficult at best. While i think Elder needs to expand their profile to outsiders its not something they can successfully do with kids from all over the city like X and Moe can. Elder needs to concentrate on the Price Hill, Westwood, Cheviot, Fairmont areas to attract more talent. Kind of in the same way LaSalle has done with Colerain. I dont agree with LaSalle tactics for the most part but the way they recruit from areas around the school is exactly the model Elder should cooy.

X, Moe, and LaSalle all have advantages that Elder doesnt, especially X and Moe. Location, location, location. Getting to and from Elder is difficult at best. While i think Elder needs to expand their profile to outsiders its not something they can successfully do with kids from all over the city like X and Moe can. Elder needs to concentrate on the Price Hill, Westwood, Cheviot, Fairmont areas to attract more talent. Kind of in the same way LaSalle has done with Colerain. I dont agree with LaSalle tactics for the most part but the way they recruit from areas around the school is exactly the model Elder should cooy.
I wouldn’t say they need to copy that model, as much as sample it. They only need 1-2 high level athletes to supplement each class. That’s where the advantage of having a relatively loyal feeder system kicks in. MOST years, you’re going to be able to fill out the Lines, QB, TE, and to a lesser extent LB and S with solid players from the feeders. What you don’t have is a WR that’s a legit vertical threat, an All Purpose RB (run & catch ball as Receiver) and a shutdown Corner.

I’m not advocating comping tuition just bc they’re athletes. Just get as many kids as possible, on campus touring the weight room & the Pit. Hopefully, a few of them come away interested in Elder. All easier said than done, but it’s the only way to really compete at a high level on a more frequent basis.

Shocking response.

Amazing how all of these Catholic schools can be diverse and recruit broadly out of sheer choice, yet for Elder, it’s always “different”.

The difference is the attitude and world view of the people. That’s what’s different.
You didn't explain how Elder accomplishes that without selling their soul like another local GCL school I won't mention by name.

I didn't go to school at Elder and I didn't send my sons to Elder because their football team was good. I'd imagine most parents considering sending their sons to Elder don't care if the football team is good.

They can pull kids in from all over Hamilton County and it should be a goal to do so. And Eds is not a difft type of school. This is the s*** that drives me insane. You just accept that Elder isn’t supposed to be as good as those schools, so you’re ok when they come into the Pit and kick their teeth in. No, that’s horses***. Elder shouldn’t be ok with being second fiddle to anyone. It’s ok to have down yrs, but this idea they shouldn’t be as good as Eds or X is garbage.
Your obsession with teenagers playing football is not healthy.

“There’s more to Elder than football” ONLY comes out in years with bad records.

I agree there’s much more to Elder than football, but it’s only used sparingly.
From this comment I'm going to guess you didn't attend Elder.

Kevin Espelage said at the first Dad's Club this year that 49% of Elder students are participate in at least one sport.
I find that difficult to believe, but if it's true most of them are standing on the sidelines watching their teammates play football.

You didn't explain how Elder accomplishes that without selling their soul like another local GCL school I won't mention by name.

I didn't go to school at Elder and I didn't send my sons to Elder because their football team was good. I'd imagine most parents considering sending their sons to Elder don't care if the football team is good.
No, but why not have the football team be as good as they possibly can be? And I don’t believe athletic success has long term enrollment benefits, but I could guarantee you, it generates a hell of a lot more donation $. The old days of just the Feeder System are over. Half of the schools don’t even have a football team anymore. It’s time to get with reality.

See, there’s a middle ground bw Trey’s idiocy and E82 being stuck in a time warp. No free rides for athletes but also no special treatment for feeder kids.

I don't know what gives me a bigger headache, watching the news in the morning or reading a couple idiots on here crying 10 pages full about how elder is some stone age evil empire. I mean geeze, with some of the people on here (2) it's just cry cry cry, worse than my little nieces. I'm not one to block or mute somebody, but hell I might have to.

Reactions: E82
I don't know what gives me a bigger headache, watching the news in the morning or reading a couple idiots on here crying 10 pages full about how elder is some stone age evil empire. I mean geeze, with some of the people on here (2) it's just cry cry cry, worse than my little nieces. I'm not one to block or mute somebody, but hell I might have to.
I’m not crying, I’m laying out what I believe Elder can do to have more sustained success at a high level. I’m not out trying to get anyone fired or saying they need to break any rules.

I don’t understand what’s so offensive about what I’m saying. I think I’ve been pretty fair in identifying the advantages and disadvantages facing Elder. I also openly admit, I don’t know more than the coaches, and I know I couldn’t do their job. I’m just here giving my opinion on what I believe can be done to close the gap.

Last edited:
The bs from the 2 Clowns on here will not stop until you put them on Ignore list. I actually think after Elder loses this week to X Pboys non sense and bs will actually get worse. Never seen anyone lie like Trey about a School, very weird!

The bs from the 2 Clowns on here will not stop until you put them on Ignore list. I actually think after Elder loses this week to X Pboys non sense and bs will actually get worse. Never seen anyone lie like Trey about a School, very weird!
I expect them to get blown out this week. And I’m not sure what non sense you think I’m spewing. I’ve been consistent all year in what I’ve said about this team. If you had your way, they’d be 0-5 bc they’d be playing the hardest schedule possible.

Every last one of you can put me on ignore - I couldn’t care less. I’m going to continue to tell the truth.

The fact is - the constant excuses about not being willing or able to expand their recruiting reach is complete and utter BS. There are millions of ways to do it ethically and legally. It’s being done every day by most schools.

By certain people, for certain people.

I agree with this. It probably is somewhat unrealistic to target the whole city. The kids from the northern suburbs are probably never going to entertain Elder because it’s simply too far away.

But the areas JElder mentioned are not really being touched. I would also add the downtown areas and some of the areas pboy has mentioned over the years (areas around Roger Bacon).

The damn whole Cincinnati Catholic model is about to massively contract and people will still say “well these kids aren’t Catholic” - WHO CARES!!!!

If you just want the dwindling Catholic westside kid, then just go D2 or D3 and be done with it.

Last edited:
Nobody who matters cares about that. It's not an issue.
That’s good to know, but It comes up on here as an excuse constantly. “So we’re a Catholic school and we’re supposed to go recruit non Catholics, it will ruin the culture of the school”.

As I’ve said, it will be really hard to change the hearts and minds of the deep rooted ideological thinking of the westside brain. That’s the biggest hurdle, and it’s a huge one, because people feel you’re changing their way of life with these type of changes.

You beat me to it. Pull up a map. St. Xavier is in the middle able to draw from entire city. Move Elder to a more central location and they could draw better from around the city.

That weight room is for west side kids with a “dream”.

There’s a reason they don’t go after those kids, and we all know that reason. Little Johnny doesn’t play if they go get those kids. Can’t have that.

Same reason they don’t open up tryouts at a younger age in their select affiliated programs. Can’t have outsiders taking spots. Have to keep Johnny control in-house.
Jesus Christ, dude. I gave a response to this rhetoric last week, that I guarantee you most Elder parents would agree with, and you ignored it. Then someone here says about half the student body plays sports, meaning a crap ton of "Little Johnnys" aren't getting playing time. The audience you continue to speak about keeps shrinking, but you won't let this go. The fact that you let such a small minority of the Elder base influence your thinking is sad.

Jesus Christ, dude. I gave a response to this rhetoric last week, that I guarantee you most Elder parents would agree with, and you ignored it. Then someone here says about half the student body plays sports, meaning a crap ton of "Little Johnnys" aren't getting playing time. The audience you continue to speak about keeps shrinking, but you won't let this go. The fact that you let such a small minority of the Elder base influence your thinking is sad.
We disagree - sorry.