Week 5: Elder(2-2) vs. Louisville St. Xavier(2-1)

ElderHSfan02

Elder next travels south to take on Louisville St. Xavier. This will be another tough game for the Panthers. X is coming off a bye week and the previous week lost to Louisville Male 28-21. Last year, X made it to the 6A state semi-finals in Kentucky losing to the eventual champs Trinity 31-0.

HUGE harbin points are up for grabs for Elder. This is a winnable game and one they really need to win if they want to have a home playoff game in October. Kentucky has an RPI system and will be big points available for X too.

I'm expecting a high scoring game.

Elder 35
Louisville X 28

Louisville St. Xavier
Week 1 Owensboro 51-38
Week 2 Louisville Central 30-6
Week 3 Louisville Male Lost 21-28
Week 4 Bye
Week 6 Louisville Trinity
Week 7 Ryle
Week 8 DuPont Manual
Week 9 Louisville Butler
Week 10 Pleasure Ridge Park
Week 11 Bowling Green (game does not count in Harbins)

6,000 seat Brother Thomas Moore Stadium in Louisville.

7Yz5bKceZMucDsh1EohCiTIBjW_Xj_lVV7oP1IZo8dWX3AO9drmWkg2Qrg5kVKP88Wo_y-9PHvbCZxEV6Z_lRkJkeMZmhLDi3Odvz6X6QkA6pLo5cxphdhhsqXIBhwW8-g

6,000 seat Brother Thomas Moore Stadium in Louisville.

7Yz5bKceZMucDsh1EohCiTIBjW_Xj_lVV7oP1IZo8dWX3AO9drmWkg2Qrg5kVKP88Wo_y-9PHvbCZxEV6Z_lRkJkeMZmhLDi3Odvz6X6QkA6pLo5cxphdhhsqXIBhwW8-g
Very nice facility and gracious hosts. My family went down this past Sat for Moe JV and Frosh games. I saw Elder JV and Frosh had X Louisville at home earlier this season. Is this a home and home for varsity this year and next?

i dont see Elder winning this one there offensive line is way to small.

Is the offensive line as good as 2019? No. They were one of the best offensive lines in Elder history. This year's offensive line returned only 2 starters. This is only Week 5. They will get better. They are playing hard.

The Elder defense has another dual threat QB to try to stop. Louisville X has a good one Jack Sivori.

This game will be available live stream on NFHS according to this link.

I do not recommend paying for NFHS to watch the game. The feed is terrible (cuts in and out constantly) and the camera man rarely follows the ball. I subscribed and watched the Pickerington Central game on this and I deeply regretted it. Ended up just listing to the game on the elder app the second half.

I do not recommend paying for NFHS to watch the game. The feed is terrible (cuts in and out constantly) and the camera man rarely follows the ball. I subscribed and watched the Pickerington Central game on this and I deeply regretted it. Ended up just listing to the game on the elder app the second half.
Louisville St. Xavier doesn't charge to watch their streams through NFHS. It looks like an alum of their school is underwriting the cost. https://www.saintx.com/athletics/tickets-broadcasts/live-streaming

You can watch an on demand version of their game against Louisville Male: https://www.nfhsnetwork.com/events/saint-xavier-high-school-louisville-ky/gama5612343b6

Last edited:
A few things of note that I wanted to mention to anyone traveling to Louisville Friday.

1 The game is a 7:30 kick off. Just noticed it on my ticket, so it will give you 30 extra minutes to get down there.
2 U of L is playing UCF Friday night also with a 7:30 kick off. Cardinal Stadium is only 2.7 miles from Louisville St X, so you might hit some of that traffic.
3 Do a google map search to see where parking is available.
4 I highly suggest getting some Hometown Pizza while in Louisville. The closest location to Cincy is in Warsaw, Kentucky. They have a few locations along 71 on the way down in Warsaw, Carrllton, LaGrane and a few other locations. Really good pizza.

Is the offensive line as good as 2019? No. They were one of the best offensive lines in Elder history. This year's offensive line returned only 2 starters. This is only Week 5. They will get better. They are playing hard.

The Elder defense has another dual threat QB to try to stop. Louisville X has a good one Jack Sivori.
They’re not going to get much better unless they magically grow 3 inches and add 30 lbs of muscle. That’s just the reality, we saw this same scenario play out in 2016.

And I agree, they’re playing hard, but that doesn’t make up for being so vastly outmatched in terms of size. As I said before, I wish there was a good solution, but there just isn’t.

They’re not going to get much better unless they magically grow 3 inches and add 30 lbs of muscle. That’s just the reality, we saw this same scenario play out in 2016.

And I agree, they’re playing hard, but that doesn’t make up for being so vastly outmatched in terms of size. As I said before, I wish there was a good solution, but there just isn’t.

The game vs. Ed's had more problems than the offensive line. The oline is an easy target, but the blame should go around to the whole team.

Man, there is quite the obsession with the size of Elder's O-Line. Size doesn't really mean jack squat at the high school level, unless you have that freak of nature man-child out there..... think Tommy Kraemer. O-Line is all about technique and coaching. How are they moving their feet? Are they getting leverage? What is their hand placement? If the opposing D-Line is faster, what are you doing to adjust. You can scheme your blocking for an O-Line that is not physically strong.... think Wing-T..... lots of pullers, combo blocks & traps. Your passing game should either be slide protection with sprint outs, quick passes & screens, and the waggle off of your outside run game. When all else fails, your O-Line should get really good at cut-blocking.

Now, I watched the stream of Cov Cath & Pic. Central. O-Line definitely needs coaching up on technique; however, you won't face too many Defensive fronts as aggressive and talented as Pic. Central was. I'm sure Ed's was the same way. Everyone take a deep breath and relax as those 2 are top of the top. You have time to improve before you potentially see either one of them again. Keep improving.

Lastly, from the 2 games I saw which was a little disappointing to me, was Ramsey getting too cute & predictable with play-calling. Not a lot of "set up" to help your O-line and playmakers out. That also has to change to help out your O-Line.

Now everyone get off the "O-Line is too small" train, as it's the biggest lie in high school football. Most "big" O-Lines are sloppy and full of garbage players that get abused as soon as they play against a disciplined defense.

The game vs. Ed's had more problems than the offensive line. The oline is an easy target, but the blame should go around to the whole team.

I’m not “targeting” them, but facts are facts. Right now, that’s the biggest issue with this team.

You’d be right to say the D didn’t play particularly well. Giving up the Hail Mary at the end of the half was inexcusable. The tackling was also pretty poor. That said, this was the first game all year they struggled, and they do have enough depth where they can change around personnel.

Man, there is quite the obsession with the size of Elder's O-Line. Size doesn't really mean jack squat at the high school level, unless you have that freak of nature man-child out there..... think Tommy Kraemer. O-Line is all about technique and coaching. How are they moving their feet? Are they getting leverage? What is their hand placement? If the opposing D-Line is faster, what are you doing to adjust. You can scheme your blocking for an O-Line that is not physically strong.... think Wing-T..... lots of pullers, combo blocks & traps. Your passing game should either be slide protection with sprint outs, quick passes & screens, and the waggle off of your outside run game. When all else fails, your O-Line should get really good at cut-blocking.

Now, I watched the stream of Cov Cath & Pic. Central. O-Line definitely needs coaching up on technique; however, you won't face too many Defensive fronts as aggressive and talented as Pic. Central was. I'm sure Ed's was the same way. Everyone take a deep breath and relax as those 2 are top of the top. You have time to improve before you potentially see either one of them again. Keep improving.

Lastly, from the 2 games I saw which was a little disappointing to me, was Ramsey getting too cute & predictable with play-calling. Not a lot of "set up" to help your O-line and playmakers out. That also has to change to help out your O-Line.

Now everyone get off the "O-Line is too small" train, as it's the biggest lie in high school football. Most "big" O-Lines are sloppy and full of garbage players that get abused as soon as they play against a disciplined defense.
This is flat out false. Look at the OL Elder had 2 years ago when they went to State. They had 3 D1 players. The Line is too small and it’s been proven when they go up against big fronts. There’s no technique that will help a linemen who is barely 200 lbs block a 260 lbs DL. And again, the kids are playing hard, but there’s just not much they can do.

The reason Ramsey has been so limited in his Offensive play calling is bc the Line can’t hold their blocks very long and that’s bc they don’t have the size.

I have to ask again, does nobody remember 2016? It was only 5 yrs ago. Elder had a relatively decent season, but lost a playoff game to Mason, mostly bc the OL couldn’t protect Nieman. I remember very distinctly, Elder driving to go ahead in that game late 4th qtr and Nieman getting sacked twice before he could even scan the field.

There’s no technique that will help a linemen who is barely 200 lbs block a 260 lbs DL. And again, the kids are playing hard, but there’s just not much they can do.
A 200lb lineman can certainly block a 260lb DL, and teams do it all the time. And last time I looked, Elder didn't have any 200lb O-Lineman starting.

What you are talking about 2 years ago is a statistical anomaly. There are not too many teams that have 3 D1 guys out of 5 on the O-Line. This is on the O-line coach and the play calling if it's truly an issue..... I really don't think it is as bad as many are saying. The 2 "bad" games were against the top 3-4 teams in the state. As I said, everyone needs to calm down.

Again, quit with all this "too small nonsense." Most teams would kill for an O-line the size of Elder's.

A 200lb lineman can certainly block a 260lb DL, and teams do it all the time. And last time I looked, Elder didn't have any 200lb O-Lineman starting.

What you are talking about 2 years ago is a statistical anomaly. There are not too many teams that have 3 D1 guys out of 5 on the O-Line. This is on the O-line coach and the play calling if it's truly an issue..... I really don't think it is as bad as many are saying. The 2 "bad" games were against the top 3-4 teams in the state. As I said, everyone needs to calm down.

Again, quit with all this "too small nonsense." Most teams would kill for an O-line the size of Elder's.
They’re too small to compete against the top dogs in D1. That’s just reality. Yeah smaller OL might work in a Wing T offense, but this isn’t 1950. Elder’s been a Spread offense for 20 years

They’re too small to compete against the top dogs in D1. That’s just reality. Yeah smaller OL might work in a Wing T offense, but this isn’t 1950. Elder’s been a Spread offense for 20 years
I'm well aware this isn't 1950 and also aware that Elder has been spread for almost 20 years. But you can still combo block, sprint out, cut block, and have quick hitting passes to get around all of that.

They are not too small. Yes, it would be great to have 3 players going to D1 football like in 2019, but this is high school football. You might get that once a decade.

LT 6'1" 270
LG 6'1" 245
C 5'10" 260
RG 6'3" 215
RT 6'2" 275

I'm well aware this isn't 1950 and also aware that Elder has been spread for almost 20 years. But you can still combo block, sprint out, cut block, and have quick hitting passes to get around all of that.

I think they do some of that. A big problem against Ed's is they didn't pick up the blitz correctly and Ed's had guys rushing the QB without getting touched. They didn't try running the ball enough to get an opinion on the run blocking. They could use a bigger fullback to stay in pass protection or lead block on runs.

why are you arguing with someone who has never played or coached? you should know the best coaches are the ones behind keyboards and in the stands.

jtk
()

They are not too small. Yes, it would be great to have 3 players going to D1 football like in 2019, but this is high school football. You might get that once a decade.

LT 6'1" 270
LG 6'1" 245
C 5'10" 260
RG 6'3" 215
RT 6'2" 275
You nailed it, definitely NOT too small with an average height of 6'1" and an average weight of 253!!!!

why are you arguing with someone who has never played or coached? you should know the best coaches are the ones behind keyboards and in the stands.

jtk
()
I did play and I know football well enough to understand 6’1’’ 250 is too small for a D1 Ohio OL. I don’t understand why that’s controversial. It’s nobody’s fault, it’s just reality.

I did play and I know football well enough to understand 6’1’’ 250 is too small for a D1 Ohio OL. I don’t understand why that’s controversial. It’s nobody’s fault, it’s just reality.
It's not at all; but to each his own

You played in grade school. Slow your roll, short stuff.