Week 4 Benedictine (3-0) @ Bishop Hartley (2-1)

Who will Win

• Benedictine

Votes: 25 65.8%
  • Bishop Hartley

Votes: 13 34.2%

• Total voters
In addition, the DBs play man. And they’re fast and coached to be handsey. Seem to always be a little short though. They can be beat with precision QBs throwing to tallish receivers. LBs are always very physical and tend to be very game smart with experience.
The DBs might struggle with Benedictine who has 3 6’1 receivers. 2 of which ran track and finished in the top 3 on 2 separate relays.

This was the overtime winner against Walsh.

I have always liked contrasting style games and this appears to be one along that line. Looks like good weather for Friday so the Bengals high octane passing game should have decent conditions, Hartley will need to get a pass rush going because once Benny gets a rhythm going they are tough to defend. The key for Benny on defense will be the DL, they have played lights out so far this year but this week discipline and assignment integrity will be key and sometime that is a tough thing for a young aggressive group. From what I have seen on tape I am not sure they have the LB depth to keep a strong rushing team in check if the RBs are running free past the LOS.

Also of note, logistically for Benedictine this is their first coach bus game of the season so it brings a new game day schedule. I like when they have these games in season because as you go deep into the playoffs these are the distances that will start becoming more frequent. It's also refreshing to see different names on the schedule and a trip to Columbus which is a fertile ground for Benny alums, for a while it was Watterson but they have fallen on hard times and Benny never really got a series going with DeSales. Maybe Hartley will continue for a while as scheduling for a good Independent is challenging to say the least.

Benedictine came in at 6th in the Cleveland.com Division II rankings and Hartley came in at 3rd in Division III.
Should be a good one!

My thoughts on this game:
Benny is clearly the more talented team in my opinion. BUT I do not see them winning this game.
  • Benny will probably have a fast start and be up 1 or 2 TD at the half
  • But I don't think they have the depth in the front 7 to go 4 quarters with this Bishop Hartley running game. Those big boys that go both ways were sucking wind against TCC
  • Also, I think that Benny OL will finally get exposed. Especially that right side. From what I've seen this OL is average at best with the only saving grace being the Center and LT.
  • With all this being said I still think this Benny team is loaded but they have holes and I loved what I saw from Bishop Hartley's run game
  • Final Score prediction: Hartley: 31 Benny: 27
  • Hoping for a great game this week
  • Also, Hartley fans I don't know much about your team who are some players to watch
  • Should be a great one I love a good ole trip to Columbus then wake up and watch the buckeyes the next day

My thoughts on this game:
Benny is clearly the more talented team in my opinion. BUT I do not see them winning this game.
  • Benny will probably have a fast start and be up 1 or 2 TD at the half
  • But I don't think they have the depth in the front 7 to go 4 quarters with this Bishop Hartley running game. Those big boys that go both ways were sucking wind against TCC
  • Also, I think that Benny OL will finally get exposed. Especially that right side. From what I've seen this OL is average at best with the only saving grace being the Center and LT.
  • With all this being said I still think this Benny team is loaded but they have holes and I loved what I saw from Bishop Hartley's run game
  • Final Score prediction: Hartley: 31 Benny: 27
  • Hoping for a great game this week
  • Also, Hartley fans I don't know much about your team who are some players to watch
  • Should be a great one I love a good ole trip to Columbus then wake up and watch the buckeyes the next day
I agree with a lot of the above takes but not sure on the out come. While the Benny linemen may get pounded a bit the Hartley skills will be chasing those track guys all over the field all game long, could be a wash on conditioning. I really agree with the OL observation. I understand there is a lot of youth and it may take time to round into form but it seems to be a weakness the past few years. After all the hype going into last year the OL really fell flat and I was underwhelmed. I miss Pat Conochan.

Benedictine will need to be active on defense. Blitzing when Hartley does not expect it. Sitting in coverage when they do. The size of Hartley's offensive line can be neutralized by Benedictine's overall speed. Watch for Hartley to throw screens to both wideouts & running backs trying to negate Benedictine's speed. Again. Benedictine needs to stay active on defense. I think Benedictine's offense can play with most.
Should be a good game.

I agree with a lot of the above takes but not sure on the out come. While the Benny linemen may get pounded a bit the Hartley skills will be chasing those track guys all over the field all game long, could be a wash on conditioning. I really agree with the OL observation. I understand there is a lot of youth and it may take time to round into form but it seems to be a weakness the past few years. After all the hype going into last year the OL really fell flat and I was underwhelmed. I miss Pat Conochan.
Hartley’s skill guys may be chasing but it won’t be because of lack of speed, probably more to the fact that they show bad technique at times. But if you are concerned about your OL hope the QB makes great presnap reads and gets the ball out quick. Hartley has a couple Dlinemen that can definitely get after it. Should be another great game this week and as always GO HAWKS!!

Any last minute thoughts before the game?

I’m thinking Marvin Conkle has a big game out of the slot and the Bengals win

Any last minute thoughts before the game?

I’m thinking Marvin Conkle has a big game out of the slot and the Bengals win

HS football seems to be a game of match ups, here are the key ones for this game>

• Benny LBs v Hartley run game. Probably the single most important match up of this game. Benny will need to limit the yards gained, especially the long home run for TD type gains, and keep the Hartley offense on the sidelines to lengthen the game.
  • Hartley DL v Benny OL. This might be the best match up for Hartley in this game and their best chance to limit the Benny passing game would be pressuring the QB.
  • Special teams. When teams are close in talent many times special teams can be the difference. A big return, blocked kick, or points off of a longish FG could be the difference between a W and a L.

Late to this one, but as much as I want to take Hartley, I think Benedictine is the better team.

Benedictine 34
Hartley 24

Although I love seeing them on the schedule of another CCL team.

I didn't see this one coming, most impressive W for Benny since the last time they beat Hoban.

Did notice a change in the Benny OL, it made a difference.

HS football seems to be a game of match ups, here are the key ones for this game>

• Benny LBs v Hartley run game. Probably the single most important match up of this game. Benny will need to limit the yards gained, especially the long home run for TD type gains, and keep the Hartley offense on the sidelines to lengthen the game.
  • Hartley DL v Benny OL. This might be the best match up for Hartley in this game and their best chance to limit the Benny passing game would be pressuring the QB.
  • Special teams. When teams are close in talent many times special teams can be the difference. A big return, blocked kick, or points off of a longish FG could be the difference between a W and a L.
This needs to happen in every game Benedictine plays. Thanks.

I miss Augie Bossu & Tony Russ. Need to look forward & not backwards veteran.