Week 3: Penn

ReLoad

The Bombers (2-0) travel to Mishawaka Indiana this Friday to face the Penn Kingsmen (1-2) of the NIC (Northern Indiana Conference)
This is the first meeting between the 2 schools

The Kingsmen opened the season with a 34-14 loss to Valparaiso, bounced back with a 34-6 win over LaPorte, then lost yesterday to Chicago powerhouse Homewood Flossmoor 35-7.

Penn suffered a major setback after their victory over LaPorte when it was learned that QB Ron Powlus Jr. had an ankle injury that would require surgery and sideline him for the remainder of the regular season.

Despite getting hit hard by graduation, Penn head coach Cory Yeoman, was optimistic that his team could win an NIC title.

Junior QB #15 Ron Powlus Jr. (6’4” 231lb) was returning after a solid sophomore season as was his favorite target classmate #8 WR Nick Favilla (6’2” 185lb).

The OLine is anchored by #74 senior center Matt Engdahl (6’0” 260lb) and two way player #77 senior tackle Ryan Williams (6’2” 301lb).
The DLine is led by #94 senior Christian Forsythe (6’5” 215lb) and #95 junior Joe Apata (6’2” 222lb).
The leaders in the secondary are #4 senior CB Nick Hardrict (6’0” 171lb) and #42 senior LB Brenden Toombs (6’1” 220lb)

BigPun is excited to watch the Bombers on the road and then Notre Dame at home.

Go Bombers!

I'm jealous
Give us a full report both from Mishawaka and South Bend.
I checked the Penn HS webpage and could not find anything regarding a video link for the game.
Will have to tune in to Tony and Ralph on the radio.
If someone knows about a video link for the game please post.
Personally I am disappointed that Penn's QB Ron Powlus Jr. is out for the season.
Was looking forward to watching him against this Bomber D.

GO X!

Big Pun is back!!! Ben gone a while. Now for fireworks with ReLoad like Ali-Frazier. for new folks Big Pun had the unique ability to aggravate both Elder and X fans in the same post. Get your popcorn.

I've mellowed in my old age. ?

Live from Mishawaka

St. Xavier - A Lot
Penn - Not So Much

Important win in Mishawaka on multiple fronts

1. The Bombers travelled well and will have to in Weeks 9 (Cleveland) and 10 (Louisville) and hopefully weeks 13 through 15 (Dayton, Columbus and Stark County)

2. Coverdale established the run game early with an 8 rushing play 80 yard drive to open the game with Newman 6 carries for 51 yards and the 8 yard TD run along with Clifford carry for 15 yards and Drew Maier for 14 yards
For the game the Bombers ran the ball 3 out of every 4 plays

3. Backup QB sophomore Max Klare got his first varsity snaps (2 for 2 for 24 yards and 1 carry for 7 yards).
It was not his first varsity action though as he kicks off.

4. New placekicker sophomore Mason Rohmiller got his feet wet.
It was a rocky start as he missed his first XP attempt and first 2 FG attempts (1 was blocked)
But a solid finish hitting the final 6 XPs and 3rd FG attempt from 32 yards.
Specht showed faith in the kid as he stuck with him for the game and his 2nd attempt was from 46 yards.

5. Senior QB Matt Rueve was near perfection hitting 13 of 14 passes for 258 yards and 2 TDs.
His only incompletion was a slight overthrow in the 2nd quarter to a wide open Clifford at the 5 yard line for a sure TD.
He underthrew Clifford twice in the Colerain game but last night after Liam got behind the Penn secondary hit him in stride for an 80 yard TD.
Rueve released the ball on his own 11 yard line as Cliff gathered it in at the Penn 44 and took it to the house.

6. Liam Clifford, in just his junior season, continued his quest to be the best WR in Bomber history with 5 catches for 175 yards and 1 TD and 1 carry for 15 yards.

7. In Marshall Lang’s absence a couple Bombers (Jalen Patterson and Drew Britt) got their first varsity receptions each finishing with 4 catches for a combined 84 yards

8. The versatile Luke Vrsansky once again showed his value as a punt returner... 4 for 66 yards, with all punts fielded preventing yardage loss.

9. In Wiles Dolle’s absence a couple sophomores (Josh Anderson and Ryan Nolan) held down the cornerback spots.

10. The first team defense led by LBs Noah Taylor and Matt Devine (8 tackles each) was stifling limiting Penn to just 4 first downs and about 50 yards total offense.
The lone score came vs the backups when sophomore Eli Kirk had the 1st team Penn RB wrapped in the backfield for a loss but he somehow wiggled away for the 72 yard score.
Taylor also had an interception which he returned 26 yards.
Assist on the INT to nickel back senior Eric Thompson who hit the Penn QB as he released the ball.

11. Tucker Hundley blocked another punt setting up the Bomber’s 2nd score from just 22 yards out.

- The Bomber defense was stiffling. This is my shocked face. ?
- The Bomber offense was sloppier than the score suggested. They could've had 27 or 34 by halftime. They blew 2 of 3 timeouts by the beginning of the 2nd quarter. There were ~5 muffed snaps and handoffs.
- The young Bomber offensive line seems to be coming together. That said, 3.7 yards per rush isn't that great against a dramatically undersized defensive line.
- The Bomber faithful traveled very well. Penn was a pleasant, but not particularly impressive fanbase. The facilities were nice.
- Coverdale impresses.
- I miss the late-90s and early-00s when the Bomber kicking game could be relied on to drill routine touchbacks and long game-winning field goals.

What was the deal with changing the jerseys? Is that an IHSA rule or everywhere?

Also, props to the Penn trainers. My Dad had a pretty rough fall after the game. They did a great job bandaging him and helping him recover. Much appreciated.

- The Bomber defense was stiffling. This is my shocked face. ?
- The Bomber offense was sloppier than the score suggested. They could've had 27 or 34 by halftime. They blew 2 of 3 timeouts by the beginning of the 2nd quarter. There were ~5 muffed snaps and handoffs.
- The young Bomber offensive line seems to be coming together. That said, 3.7 yards per rush isn't that great against a dramatically undersized defensive line.
- The Bomber faithful traveled very well. Penn was a pleasant, but not particularly impressive fanbase. The facilities were nice.
- Coverdale impresses.
- I miss the late-90s and early-00s when the Bomber kicking game could be relied on to drill routine touchbacks and long game-winning field goals.

What was the deal with changing the jerseys? Is that an IHSA rule or everywhere?

Also, props to the Penn trainers. My Dad had a pretty rough fall after the game. They did a great job bandaging him and helping him recover. Much appreciated.

Glad to hear your dad was taken care of after the fall. That can be scary.

How good did the defense have to be when the other team's starting QB was knocked out last week? I have a seen a couple St X games this year and have not really been impressed so far. I'll probably go to the game on Friday vs Cathedral... that will be a good test for them.

Best of luck to your dad.

Glad to hear your dad was taken care of after the fall. That can be scary.

How good did the defense have to be when the other team's starting QB was knocked out last week? I have a seen a couple St X games this year and have not really been impressed so far. I'll probably go to the game on Friday vs Cathedral... that will be a good test for them.

Best of luck to your dad.

I don’t know if the defense is really good or hasn’t been tested yet. Against Brownsburg they gave up the long ball, but against one of Indiana’s top rb’s and a pretty big line, they really shut the run down.

Against Colerain they gave up around 80 yards on the first drive, and then less than 175 the rest of the night. The word is Colerain isn’t up to the reputation they’ve built, but still an impressive feat. The defense was really dominant.

They did what they should have done against Penn.

I’m interested to see how they do against the big lines of Cathedral and Elder. Albanese is tough inside, but they really lack size overall. They’re making up for it with speed and scheme so far, but not sure how long that can hold up.

When the offense is clicking in gear, they have a very high ceiling, and gashed a very good Colerain defense. It’s no surprise that the running game isn’t there, the offensive line isn’t big, and the one side has two sophomores that have decent size, but still have sophomore level strength. The weapons are on the outside, and Rueve has the accuracy to get them the ball. His decision making is making him a much better fit for this offense than Hudepohl, even with a less powerful arm.

The key for X this year is to get up early and force other teams to play catch up.

Overall I can’t decide if this is a really good team, or one that is playing a little over their heads. Cathedral will be a good measuring stick, solid team that took Elder to the limit, and smacked Moeller around. If X puts on a show against them, then it could be an indicator of a very deep postseason.

These guys are coming together as a team. Their appears to be an effort by the team leadership to be inclusive of everyone and they are working hard to get better as a team one week at a time. They are all in the same boat as far as learning Professor Coverdale's offense (1st yr). This allows Coach Specht to concentrate on his defense who i think is playing very good scheme defense. Looking forward to them taking this season one week at a time...

Go Bombers!