Week 3 Bishop Hartley (1-1) @ Canal Winchester (2-0)

Who will

• Bishop Hartley

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • Canal Winchester

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters

This is an opportunity for Hartley to bounce back (yes, I'm saying "bounce back" because getting into a 4-quarter war with Harvest Prep immediately after the 62-spot by Ursuline are both two atypical performances in a row below BH's standards & expectations) vs Canal. I don't see how these last two weeks are acceptable in the eyes of Burchfield and staff.

Canal is good, but they don't seem all that great. If Canal wins then it's probably a result of "chalk holding." I suspect its going to be an intense week of practice and preparation on Zettler. CW and then Benedictine is walking into the fire. If the Hawks go 0-2 in that stretch, 1-3 into week five vs Norwalk (probably a lay-up) then they're staring down a possible 2-4 after DeSales. Need a win this week.

Coordinators need to get the plays signaled in more clearly and quickly. Seeing 11 (sometimes 12) kids out there confused has been normal in the early season for a few years, but this year seems a little worse. Execution has been spotty too. Probably better matchups with speed this week. Interesting to see if new Indians coach has installed decent strength program.

I don't know enough about CW, but Hartley seems to be a little down from where they have been... what seems to be the difference this year and last?

Hartleys offense took Ursuline by surprise that’s forsure, Ursuline shored it up big time last week, it looks like Hartley got better defensively as well

After seeing Hartley play the last two weeks, I have to say that I (even as a fan) am not impressed with the Hawks. They seem disoriented and lackluster in their performances. I know the Hawks scored 58 in game 1 but Ursuline scored 62.
Remember that CW is 2-0 and Benedictine is also 2-0 and a favourite over Cleveland CC this week. DeSales is coming soon and probably with a rejuvenated offense if Johnathan Thomson (sp) is back......also looming in the future is Akron St.V-St.M.....I have to agree with The Dock that a 2-4 record could be looming. I hate to see that happen, but something needs to change. Hartley is big and brawny but we really do not have the star runners of yesteryear. Here's a tip of a gin and tonic to my being incorrect and that Hartley is 5-1 after 6 games. Yes, we Catholics do drink sometimes.

Will be very interesting to see how they come out against Ursuline. Harvest Prep is good but I did not expect them to ball with Hartley like they did.

I'll be a homer and stick with the CCL on the pick, but the confidence is shaky.

Will be very interesting to see how they come out against Ursuline. Harvest Prep is good but I did not expect them to ball with Hartley like they did.

I'll be a homer and stick with the CCL on the pick, but the confidence is shaky.
TBH one thing that I hadn’t considered was a difference between URS/HP vs CW — coaching.

Dan Reardon (URS) and Milan Smith (HP) are really two of the best private school coaches in the state. Contrast that with Jake Kuhner at CW, who may or may not be a “great” coach (too early to tell, just not a built-up reputation just yet.)

If all other things equal between BH and CW, I gotta think Burch & crew has the edge with preparation and X’s/O’s.

TBH one thing that I hadn’t considered was a difference between URS/HP vs CW — coaching.

Dan Reardon (URS) and Milan Smith (HP) are really two of the best private school coaches in the state. Contrast that with Jake Kuhner at CW, who may or may not be a “great” coach (too early to tell, just not a built-up reputation just yet.)

If all other things equal between BH and CW, I gotta think Burch & crew has the edge with preparation and X’s/O’s.
I agree with this statement. I do think that Ursuline had a ton of talent in the program, I don't necessarily feel the same way about HP. Maybe this is their once in a decade team, but any other year for the past 10 I have a hard time seeing them really challenge Hartley.

Hartley usually gets better throughout the year but it will be interesting to see.

I would love to see Thompson back for DeSales when they have to travel to Hartley. I think it will be a great matchup regardless, but obviously want to see both teams at full strength

Hartley just doesn't seem like the old Hartley. I think Canal has too much talent, and nobody on that defense is holding Byrd. OCC vs CCL, I will take the OCC. Canal just has too much talent and a good senior class. Hartley let HP hang around, and almost got beat. No way Hartley wins.

Hartley just doesn't seem like the old Hartley. I think Canal has too much talent, and nobody on that defense is holding Byrd. OCC vs CCL, I will take the OCC. Canal just has too much talent and a good senior class. Hartley let HP hang around, and almost got beat. No way Hartley wins.
The jury still seems out on what BH actually is: a team that looks like a major player for a state title, or a team whose fate is regional finals at best.

If it’s the latter: that undeniably hurts to accept for some Zettler fans. Or, at least seeing through that a possible 2-4 start could equate to 4-5 regular season. All wins would be chalk in that scenario — HP, Norwalk, BW and St. Charles. And I think that is what has some Hartley folks feeling… anxious. It’s a program where the past-decade has been filled with winning lots of 50/50 games and matchups where the “Under-Hawks” soar out on top against a bigger/more talented team. It has state rings, plural.

Don’t think I’m stepping too far out-of-bounds when I say a 4-5/5-4 season (even against the loaded schedule) possibly hurts the heart of East Side. My flaming hot, 5-alarm fire take is that going 1-1 between Canal/Benedictine helps quell that anxiety… and that 2-0 against CW/Benedictine is a shot-in-the-arm that gets the machine back in gear on the field, on the sidelines, in the stands, at TAT, at Murph’s, at Plank’s and on Yappi. Watch out if that happens.

Last edited:
Alright, Hawkeyes, tell the truth: which game so far is the one that is harder reflect on, or at least gives the bigger impression of BH this year? The heartbreaker to Ursuline, or the four-quarter dogfight with Prep?

Third game of the season and Hartley may surprise people. They will begin to hit their stride and play teams harder each week. Hartley should be closer to normal this game and each game that follows. Hartley usually blooms after a couple games under their belts.

The jury still seems out on what BH actually is: a team that looks like a major player for a state title, or a team whose fate is regional finals at best.

If it’s the latter: that undeniably hurts to accept for some Zettler fans. Or, at least seeing through that a possible 2-4 start could equate to 4-5 regular season. All wins would be chalk in that scenario — HP, Norwalk, BW and St. Charles. And I think that is what has some Hartley folks feeling… anxious. It’s a program where the past-decade has been filled with winning lots of 50/50 games and matchups where the “Under-Hawks” soar out on top against a bigger/more talented team. It has state rings, plural.

Don’t think I’m stepping too far out-of-bounds when I say a 4-5/5-4 season (even against the loaded schedule) possibly hurts the heart of East Side. My flaming hot, 5-alarm fire take is that going 1-1 between Canal/Benedictine helps quell that anxiety… and that 2-0 against CW/Benedictine is a shot-in-the-arm that gets the machine back in gear on the field, on the sidelines, in the stands, at TAT, at Murph’s, at Plank’s and on Yappi. Watch out if that happens.
Third game of the season and Hartley may surprise people. They will begin to hit their stride and play teams harder each week. Hartley should be closer to normal this game and each game that follows. Hartley usually blooms after a couple games under their belts.

Alright, Hawkeyes, tell the truth: which game so far is the one that is harder reflect on, or at least gives the bigger impression of BH this year? The heartbreaker to Ursuline, or the four-quarter dogfight with Prep?
2018 Hartley opened the season away against Toledo Central Catholic. I went to the game. The final score did not reflect the reality on the field. The Irish could have scored 100 points easily, and it's a wonder they didn't. Hartley looked utterly shambolic and unprepared. They almost always start slow. I discount the Ursuline game since it was the first and they have a pretty solid offense. Against Harvest Prep, the Hartley players looked exhausted early on. A lot of that was the heat. The HP defense was just blowing up every play. And there was a lot of miscommunication happening. They were lucky to pull out the win. Just like in business, there's no magic recipe for making a team gel. I ain't hitting the panic button just yet. There's a ton of talent on the team and sideline. It's a tough schedule, but that's what's needed to make a deep run. Looking forward to seeing the Byrd kid and my friend's kids.

Burch, what is the game plan?
Run up the middle and then toss sweep to the short side. If I were a special version of Burch who could tell Chris what to do, I'd say toss in a trick play to get the kids excited. Line up little January in the backfield as a tailback and have him throw a pass or something.

Canal having too much talent, that’s what happens when all that talent is in one player. Byrd is a difference maker, might have been a different game if he doesn’t go down. Hope he makes a full a speedy recovery from the ankle injury.

I, like most sports fans, hate to see an injury to any player......CW's Byrd is wished, by any sensible fan, to have a speedy recovery......Hartley must really prepare for 3-0 Benedictine next week. The Bengals ripped Cleveland Central Catholic tonight.......Good luck to CW in future games.