Week 2 Winton Woods v Lasalle

LaSalle will be solid and they are coached to 'expect to win" not just grow or compete...

That may be true. But I'd imagine the coaches and players will be the first to tell you they better grow a helluva lot this week if they even want to compete.

That may be true. But I'd imagine the coaches and players will be the first to tell you they better grow a helluva lot this week if they even want to compete.
So this week I guess you are taking WW at LaSalle...I hope you are not a betting man...

So this week I guess you are taking WW at LaSalle...I hope you are not a betting man...

No, I expect La Salle to look much better this week. This staff always coaches them up. I can think that and think they were lackluster in Week 1 and very lucky to escape with a win.

Teams will key on Spikes & force the supporting cast to beat them. Unfortunately for WW this week Lasalle will play juniors ,and seniors opposed to Trotwood who played sophomores and juniors. I see WW defense created short fields for the offense. The defensive line is fun to watch and they have depth. Watching Lasalle I believe WW will key Payne and force the others to beat them. Warriors have to watch out for the little slot Garrett as well. Special teams will be huge too in a low scoring affair.
I heard Payne is hurt. I don’t know his status for the game.

No, I expect La Salle to look much better this week. This staff always coaches them up. I can think that and think they were lackluster in Week 1 and very lucky to escape with a win.
So they were lack luster because you think Colerain is not the Colerain of the past 20 years and they should have won by more than one score? (BTW, you are correct...Colerain like WW is not what they were or will be over next few years)...
It will be interesting to see if WW can keep it as close as the vaunted Colerain CARDS....

This game will be closer than some think. Jayron Gibson and Jayden Denton combined for like 8 sacks. These 2 dudes are athletic coming off the edge and play the run well. Carlton Grey is 1 of the better defensive coordinators around. He's probably studying this offense right now & is looking for any weaknesses from the quarterback. I seen 4/5 different packages last week. Old staff mainly ran cover 0 which if u spread them out the qb is not accounted for which led to Branam having a huge game. You probably will never see ZERO from WW again. Ijs

Keep Da Woods offense off the field, control the time of possession, pound the rock. I can't see how Payne helped the team when he was in there before he got hurt. Payne ran for 37 yards on 12 carries. He is not the Payne I saw in 2019. I know he scored both touchdowns of 1 yard and 2 yards. .La Salle found other running backs when Payne was on the sidelines. One ran for 105 yards on 14 carries. 7.5 yards per run, a second ran for 81 yards on 8 carries 10,1 ypr, so we have other capable runners to control the time of possession.

Last edited:
Here are tidbits from Salwan Alvi at Tristatefootball.com

#6 WINTON WOODS AT #3 LA SALLE
"A top ten matchup between the best Division II has to offer locally, it does not get better than this. Both teams played well in their debut games. The Warriors pitched a shutout against Trotwood Madison while the Lancers looked impressive in a win against Colerain "

I agree that these are the best two DII teams in R8

"These teams have similar styles as both lean on the run game and on the opposite side of the ball, stopping the run game. The Lancers now look to have a two-headed monster with Gi’Bran Payne and Jaylen Grant. Grant ran for 107 yards on 14 carries in Week 1 and Payne added two rushing touchdowns of his own."

Disagree with this statement. Payne may not even play. The two headed monster is Grant as mentioned above but the second head is Davay Hill who aveaged 10.1 yards per carry with 81 yards on 8 carries. I could see a triple option happening here with Mattingly, Grant, and Hill

"On defense, senior JJ Ruffin led the way with 11 tackles with 3 tackles for loss. This is a team that will get drastically better each with due to their gauntlet of a schedule, so they will be ready week in and week out. The Warriors did it in a unique way in their first game, generating two safeties. With a new head coach, quarterback, and replacing stars on defense, it will take Winton Woods some time to mold into form. Having Tyreke Spike’s big-play ability helps. The Warriors will look to force Lancer quarterback Mason Mattingly to throw the ball. He was an unimpressive 9 for 19 and 72 yards through the air last week. The Lancers will look to take Spikes out of the game and make the other Warrior players beat them. Field position and time of possession will be the deciding factors in this game. La Salle’s experience could ultimately take over this game and put them over the top."

Mattingly runs the ball a lot to keep the defense off balance. Will he run the ball or throw the ball. A defense has to prepare for both. He did average 3.8 yards a run last week. Good luck at getting safeties against the Lancers who certainly have a better offense than Trotwood. I agree this is a good time to get Winton Woods with a new coach and new offense in only their second game of the season. I said it earlier in this thread how important time of possession will be in this game. Last week the Lancers had the ball for nine minutes more than Colerain. I look for similar disparity in TOP this week.

La Salle needs to finish drives this week. They left a lot of points on the table last week for a number of reasons. The QB needs to settle in and cut down on some drastic overthrows. I'm sure he will as the season progresses.

Defensively, 8 is a beast out there. I thought the secondary played very well for replacing everyone. Cope is impressive and Beasley made one of the best plays I've ever seen from a safety.

La Salle needs to finish drives this week. They left a lot of points on the table last week for a number of reasons. The QB needs to settle in and cut down on some drastic overthrows. I'm sure he will as the season progresses.

Defensively, 8 is a beast out there. I thought the secondary played very well for replacing everyone. Cope is impressive and Beasley made one of the best plays I've ever seen from a safety.
Koy Beasley is nice. I’m good friends with his Dad. Great kid.

It's almost a go. Very interested in how this game plays out. This will be a very physical match up. The team tht owns the trenches wins this game. 17-14 WW

In the SWKOS thread WW is favored to win by 3½. So far out of 41 of the Yappi faithful only 4 have picked WW.

In the SWKOS thread WW is favored to win by 3½. So far out of 41 of the Yappi faithful only 4 have picked WW.
Meh. They all picked LS to beat a 6.5 spread against Colerain last week too. They don't know anything. Just hope the Lancers can keep it close.

I think some folks are not sure what to make of this game.
Well I don't either except I'm positive these dudes are gonna bring it tonight.
There will be talent all over the field and serious hittin goin on.
I love the fact that WW and the Lancers are playing in regular season early.

Warriors have some questions that need to be answered and tonight will go a long way to maybe getting that done.
Can't figure some things out playing against scrubs if you want to be a statewide contender.
Go Warriors.

Beasley a sophmore this year too.

WW is definitely the underdog! I am concerned about the Warriors offense tonight. New offensive system and inexperienced O line caused a boatload of mistakes vs TM. WW managed to have a solid week of practice despite the start of the new school year and the finishing up of the school parking lot.

I think some folks are not sure what to make of this game.
Well I don't either except I'm positive these dudes are gonna bring it tonight.
There will be talent all over the field and serious hittin goin on.
I love the fact that WW and the Lancers are playing in regular season early.

Warriors have some questions that need to be answered and tonight will go a long way to maybe getting that done.
Can't figure some things out playing against scrubs if you want to be a statewide contender.
Go Warriors.

Agreed. I love having WW in the region and on the schedule. It's way better than out-of-area teams and a classy program as well.

Go Lancers.

Watch here for free: https://www.golancers.net/live-stream/