Week 2 West Jefferson @ Paint Valley

Getting beat down in week 1 could have been the best thing that happen or just a sign of a long season. Either way, I stand by the Riders!!!

Hopefully we can play some defense this week, across the board.....................and maybe do a little run blocking.

For Paint Valley, they are the expected league favorite in the Scioto Valley Conference. They were able to put up points against Blanchester. As for their offense the skill they have is Cooper which is their best offensive threat and Robertson a transfer from Waverly who is always on the field that makes and impact. Should be a good one

I was a bit surprised at last year's game, and actually thought it would be a closer game. However, this year could be just the opposite outcome especially with WJ traveling down to PV.

PV a balanced attack or are they run heavy??? WJ did not seem to stop either last week, so that could be key to the game.

On offense, I would also like to see WJ drop the QB platoon and just go with what seems to be the future QB in #3. Nothing against the senior kid, and I know Coach B is extremely loyal to his upperclassman, but I would find other ways to get the senior the ball. He is athletic and does well in open space catching and running the ball.

The other key to the game is what kind of intensity WJ brings to PV. If they don't I am sure PV will not miss the chance to put a whipping on them.

Any concession stand specialties I should look for at PV???

Looking forward to another Friday night HS football night!!!!

Last years game, I try to forget about it. WJ jumped on us early and we could not defend their passing game at all. I hope we don't give up 375 yds passing again this year or it will be another long night for PV. We are supposed to be a run heavy offense with 2 very capable RB's and an athletic QB with good speed, however last Friday's game showed me that the coaching staff is implementing a decent little passing attack. I do expect a much closer game this time, as far as concessions go I recommend the fish sandwich. I think this will be a very physical game and hope that neither team has any injury, we are a bit dinged up already so early in the season. Being the smallest D6 school in Ohio our depth is not a strength of ours.

Head football coach Shawn Buescher entered this season as his 21st season as skipper of the roughriders.
He is just 5 wins from having the most wins as a head coach in West Jefferson history.
Gene Tiger Keel (Who passed away this year) sets at the top with 157 wins in 22 years and this year Buescher has 153 wins starting his 21st season at West Jefferson.
The way things looked last Friday night, the Riders might have to wait till next season to have a shot at coach Keels record.

The defense for was Wj did not look really good at all at times.
The tackling was horrible, 4,5 & 6 missed tackles on one play.
This was a defense that we hadn’t seen in many years.
At times, the defense didn’t come through but they were very exhausted.
The team look tired by the end of the first quarter.
That is something we haven’t seen of West Jeff in several years as well.
On offense, the Roughriders looked really good at times.
But they could not run the ball consistently at all.
Paint valley returns a very good team loaded top to bottom.
Hopefully, West Jefferson took a look at tape and they are able to work on a lot of the issues that they have.
Start with tackling and blocking!
If not, they will start off 0-2 and have themselves dug in a hole really deep for this season.
The season is long and there is a lot of improvement that they can do and they can still make a lot of adjustments and have a good season.

Don’t think I said enough about PV.
Their O-Line should average 280-300
Last year’s game was really hot and wj just went really fast on them and wore them down.
I think they returned at least 9 on both sides of the ball.
Wj returns 1 maybe on both sides.
Big difference this year!
PV should look to line up and pound the ball against our much smaller line.
Might not have to throw the ball except to throw in a play action here or there.

For wj, I’m for leaving #3 Buescher in at QB and using #6 all over the field.
Wj has plenty of weapons at WR, they just got to get the run going.

Game day.................................should be a great match up tonight as WJ heads down south!!!

I am hopeful WJ will strap it up and be prepared to meet what I expect a physical PV football team.

I completely agree w/ roughriderpride....................we have to re-learn how to run block and balance out the attack.

Good luck to both teams!!!

this may be a shootout. what will determine this game is if Paint Valley will be able to play there style and kill the clock to keep the ball from the WJ offense. and i think Paint Valley will run the ball at will tonight between the tackles.

my prediction: Paint Valley: 34 West Jeff: 30

best of luck Riders and enjoy the scenery in Bainbridge- the best in Ohio in my opinion.

RRP- coach Buescher became the WJ all time leader in wins during last season. He now has 166 wins. The fall program needs updated to include last season 13-2 record.

Go Riders!

It will be interesting to see how this WJ team responds to adversity and last weeks loss. They are not the first WJ team to start the season with inexperience, time for the Seniors to lead the way.

Since 1958 WJ has had 7 head football coaches:

Gene Keel
- 22 years, 1958 to 1979
- 157-40-7, 78.68%
- 13 league titles, 2 playoff appearances
- 2 State Titles

John Sines
- 5 years, 1980 to 1984
- 47-8-0, 85.45%
- 4 league titles, 3 playoff appearances
- 1 State Title

Dave Metz
- 13 years, 1985 to 1997
- 102-33-0, 75.56%
- 3 league titles, 5 playoff appearances

Rich Haskins
- 1 year, 1998
- 10-1-0, 90.91%
- 1 league title, 1 playoff appearance

James Masi
- 1 year, 1999
- 6-4-0, 60.00%

Curtis Crager
- 2 years, 2000 to 2001
- 3-17-0, 15.00%

Shawn Beuscher
- 21 years, 2002 to present
- 166-70-0, 70.34%
- 9 league titles, 13 playoff appearances
- 3 Semi-Final appearances

Good luck to the Riders!

It will be interesting to see how this WJ team responds to adversity and last weeks loss. They are not the first WJ team to start the season with inexperience, time for the Seniors to lead the way.

Since 1958 WJ has had 7 head football coaches:

Gene Keel
- 22 years, 1958 to 1979
- 157-40-7, 78.68%
- 13 league titles, 2 playoff appearances
- 2 State Titles

John Sines
- 5 years, 1980 to 1984
- 47-8-0, 85.45%
- 4 league titles, 3 playoff appearances
- 1 State Title

Dave Metz
- 13 years, 1985 to 1997
- 102-33-0, 75.56%
- 3 league titles, 5 playoff appearances

Rich Haskins
- 1 year, 1998
- 10-1-0, 90.91%
- 1 league title, 1 playoff appearance

James Masi
- 1 year, 1999
- 6-4-0, 60.00%

Curtis Crager
- 2 years, 2000 to 2001
- 3-17-0, 15.00%

Shawn Beuscher
- 21 years, 2002 to present
- 166-70-0, 70.34%
- 9 league titles, 13 playoff appearances
- 3 Semi-Final appearances

Good luck to the Riders!
Very impressive resume, glad you shared this

For what it’s worth from Cal Preps
West Jefferson 31
Paint valley 26
And fantastic 50 has Paint Valley wing by 3. We’ll see how it goes

WJ offense has been rolling, only time they haven’t scored was that INT. QB has played very well, the skill also has been impressive.
PV becoming too dependent on Cooper imo, just cannot buy a stop on defense

West Jeff won this game because they prevented Paint Valley from playing there speed. congrats Riders! any word on if they kept the young Buescher in at QB?

What a game, looked like it was going to go the way of a blowout and PV brought it back right before WJ buried them. Best of luck to WJ the rest of the way very skilled offense.

The young Buescher kid had a good night throwing the ball, he went 22 of 30 for 239 yards and threw 4 TD’s with 1 pick.
Buescher spread the ball around to different receivers mixing it up.
They need to stay with him, he will be better then his older brother Tyler, no disrespect to him.

The O-Line was able to open up big holes at times unlike last week but still need work on consistency and protecting the QB.

Spencer George ran 6 times for 164 yards an amazing (27.3) yards per carry with 2 TD’s.

On defense, wj did look better at times but did allow PV to crawl back into the game and make it close.
Keyt had 15 tackles on defense.
PV is and will be a very good team this year running and throwing the ball.

WJ should continue to improve as a team from week to week.
On offense, they need to work on blocking to the whistle blows including the receivers.
Continue to get in better shape!
Work on getting Austin Buescher in the starting rotation more and more.
On defense, continue to work on tackling!
Work on the pass defense and special teams play.
Kicking extra points last night looked a lot better then week 1.
Work on the little things and the fundamentals and they should continue to improve!

Thanks for the stats Mr. Adam’s on
Roughriderfootball.com

What a good football game.........................unless you are a big defensive type guy, which I am!!!!!

WJ came out swinging with sustained drives and big plays.................which it turns out they needed that 14 spot to close the game out. PV could not answer WJ balanced offensive attack and gave up way too many big plays to put themselves in a position to win the game.

PV after going down early, played from behind all night, but scrapped and fought back into the game and was within 7 points late in the 4th quarter, but then gave up another big run for a TD to close the night. As expected, PV did not quit and played hard all 4 quarters and came close to pulling off the comeback win.

Beautiful atmosphere for HS football, great field and facilities, good people and the fish sandwich did not disappoint!!!

Both teams need to work on defense, tackling, and cutting down on mistakes (penalties). I would anticipate both teams doing well during the season if they are able to get these things done.