Week 2: Valley View (1-0) @ Milton-Union (1-0)

Who wins?

• Valley View

Votes: 17 63.0%
  • Milton-Union

Votes: 10 37.0%

• Total voters

IRLMN1999

Week 1:
Valley View - 25
Springfield Shawnee - 7

Milton-Union - 51
National Trail - 0

Both coming off week 1 wins, should be a good test for both teams early in the season. Thoughts?

This is a much better team than the 2020 Milton team was. Maybe they'll be able to complete with Valley View this year.
I think it'll be a good, close game.

Valley View has another tough test in Week 2 in Milton Union. I do believe the Dogs are better than last season, will be a league champ, and a playoff team. Valley View is led by their defense right now, and it's pretty strong. Their offense scored on 3 broken coverages that allowed 3 longer TD passes against Shawnee. So the offense is a work in progress but it's not without talent or potential. I think the Spartans win a close, hard fought game.

Valley View 28
Milton Union 14

If history proves here, the Spartans will win... Convincingly. MU has rarely had the juice to beat Valley View since rejoining the SWBL.
I like Milton's chances but they need to play their best game of the year and they need both Blake's to have stellar nights.
I won't dare try to guess a score.

If there was ever a year for MU to jump up and get VV, it’s this year. VV defense is very nice and their offense can score quickly. HOWEVER, VV seemed to have issues running the football last week and if the passing game is off, they might have issues scoring, VV with low #s has to play guys both ways mor than in years prior, and I worry about cramping later in the game that could cause MU to score late and come out with a win.

If history proves here, the Spartans will win... Convincingly. MU has rarely had the juice to beat Valley View since rejoining the SWBL.
I like Milton's chances but they need to play their best game of the year and they need both Blake's to have stellar nights.
I won't dare try to guess a score.

I agree with IRLMN. I gave the Spartans a win, but I expect this one to be close throughout. The offense isn't quite there yet. The defense is sound.

What does MU do offensively this season? I feel like running the ball right at VV will be difficult to do.

Na they mix it up quite a bit. Wing-t of course. Brumbaugh adds a whole dimension to their game. That kid is a baller and he's fairly fast. Returned a punt 90 yards for a TD Friday. Our kicking game is very sound. Kid gets it to the goal line every kick and made a 34 yard FG.
Overall, I fully expect MU to have a lot of revenge on their minds after last year.
If this was 35 years ago, I'd guarantee a Bulldog victory.
Actually, I am guaranteeing a Milton victory here. I know Bret Pearce and he smells blood. New coach, etc. MU has the system in place and now the kids in place. That game Friday night could've been 100-0 Milton-Union. He pulled back the Dogs after the first series of the third quarter.
Blake Neumeier is a load too...

Last edited:
For MU to win this game I feel they have to play really well on both lines, take away the passing game with the D and put pressure on that QB so run.
Offensively they need to have a huge game from Blake Neumeier and Blake Brumbaugh, BOTH. I think Pearce has been a great coach at MU and he seems to know what to do to get the upset. Valley View has had Milton's number the last several times, including an OT affair a couple of years back. These two are rivals and to-date since they started playing again in 2000, the Spartans have owned the series. Milton owned it back from 1975-1981. Wasn't close. But this time around it's a non-league affair and the Spartans are laser-focused with new coaching and a thin roster. They seem to get the best out of their kids every year.
Again, I think Milton has to play exceptionally well on the lines and have great games from Brumbaugh and Neumeier.

I was counting this game a toss up but seeing VW win last week makes me think that again VW may have the edge.

Gonna be a hot one too. How many kids does MU have this year? VV with 47, actually has kids playing both ways. Fatigue and cramping could play a factor.

MU kids always play both ways. I think they have around 60. I'd be shocked if all of the starting O doesn't also start on D. I think Brumbaugh plays both ways and returns punts.

MU kids always play both ways. I think they have around 60. I'd be shocked if all of the starting O doesn't also start on D. I think Brumbaugh plays both ways and returns punts.
How about that? When was the last time VV showed up with less kids that MU? It'll probably happen a few more times this season as well. A bit of a new set of circumstances for The View.

How about that? When was the last time VV showed up with less kids that MU? It'll probably happen a few more times this season as well. A bit of a new set of circumstances for The View.
Milton had over 80 in 2010-11-12 I believe. My son was playing then. Not sure if we played VV those years.

Ppl need to understand Football is changing you will have less kids playing. Hell last year VV 6th grade didn’t even have a team. I don’t think it’s the coach change. Kids just don’t want to play football or they got burned out bc Parents needed Super Bowl rings

Update, Milton has 49 on the roster. 5 play both ways on Friday night. So, this is a very even game. Still, Valley View has the more impressive win.
I'm just feeling a Milton win tonight.

Ppl need to understand Football is changing you will have less kids playing. Hell last year VV 6th grade didn’t even have a team. I don’t think it’s the coach change. Kids just don’t want to play football or they got burned out bc Parents needed Super Bowl rings
Technically the 6th grade hasn't had a team for two years.

Technically the 6th grade hasn't had a team for two years.
The kids who are 8th graders now definitely had a 6th grade team and they were very good. Pretty sure the only team that beat them was an even better group at Clinton Massie that for some reason plays in the SWBL pee wee league.

Milton might see that same Valley View team in the playoffs. Pentalties killed the Spartans. Milton's lines and QB played really well.

Valley View has a very bright future ahead. That QB is an extremely talented youngster. He's fast, athletic and throws a bullet. The pressure MU applied was something he isn't used to. The Spartans would run through the TRC without much resistance. I'm thinking Milton can too if they keep focused and take EVERY team as serious as they did The View.
Looks like computer points will be hard to come-by in the TRC. The league looks very top-heavy which means Milton could finish 10-0 and not get a home game.
Riverside, seems to be the best team outside of Milton with Troy Christian and possibly Northridge following close behind. The rest of the league seems very down this year.