Week 2: Elder(1-0) vs Pickerington Central(1-0)

Only time will tell how good Pick Central actually is, but that is the best Elder defensive performance in recent memory. Elder’s D shut them out. The PC qb was bad but they have athletes and speed all over the place. Props to the Panthers!

Good win. But PC might not be the Harbin bellcow they normally would be if they have a down year.
They’re likely going to win at least 7 games, 8 if they beat Wayne next week. Looking at their schedule, the only likely loss looks like Pick North.

My memory isn't what it used to be, but it seems like it's been a while since Elder won a big time game in The Pit without needing some late game offensive heroics to secure the win. As everyone has said, the defense and special teams were outstanding tonight.
Agree. When has Elder ever had a defensive shutout against a quality opponent?

Good win. But PC might not be the Harbin bellcow they normally would be if they have a down year.
They have Wayne (1-1), Pickerington North (2-0), and Gahanna Lincoln (2-0) the next three weeks, but they finish the season with 3 games against teams that are currently 0-2 with a few other teams currently at 1-1 in between. The Tigers have been the champions for their division of the OCC every year since 2006. Unless they fall of a cliff this season, they'll provide Elder with a nice cache of Harbin points.

PC should still win 6-7-8 games. Not that you really need a big Harbin Cow anymore since 16 make the playoffs, but definitely will help in the quest for securing a top 8 seed.

Defense was excellent all night. I think the team speed on defense really caught PC off guard. They played with really good leverage and angles all night long. There were a lot of 1v1 tackles in the open field as well.

Offense did a good job hanging onto the ball, wearing down the PC defense. The pick-6 happened right in front of us and it almost looked like a choice route or a misread between QB and the intended WR. WR sat, QB thought he would keep coming inside. That was really the only blemish offensively.

This year’s schedule doesn’t get any easier. Every future opponent Elder will face is also currently 2-0 except for St. X.

Only time will tell how good Pick Central actually is, but that is the best Elder defensive performance in recent memory. Elder’s D shut them out. The PC qb was bad but they have athletes and speed all over the place. Props to the Panthers!
Yeah PC has a problem with decision making in their backfield. Looked like slow motion offense. I’m doubting they win OCC with that kind of issue at critical position.
The Elder QBs touch was amazing, perfect loft on TD 1 and bullet on #2. I was very impressed.

Nice of you to say. the Elder qb has certainly had two nice games when asked to throw the ball. We get spoiled watching qb’s at Elder and expect them to all be good.

Elder has great respect for your coach and program. How was your experience watching a game at The PIt? We will be pulling for PC from here on out.

This year’s schedule doesn’t get any easier. Every future opponent Elder will face is also currently 2-0 except for St. X.
Interesting to see what happens to Springboro after next week. Their schedule following Elder is brutal.

The Pit is fantastic. The entire experience I had last night was akin to seeing the Cubs at home on an April Saturday. Worlds different than a big school environment up near Columbus. That’s not a knock on my area — just a sharp contrast in atmosphere and ambience. It was worth every minute and mile to take part in the privilege. I loved it, and am thankful.

PC should still win 6-7-8 games. Not that you really need a big Harbin Cow anymore since 16 make the playoffs, but definitely will help in the quest for securing a top 8 seed.
With 16 out of 18 making the playoffs the Harbins have become a three tier system.

Tier 3 win about 3 games and you are in the top 16 and make the playoffs. I looked over JoeEitel for several years and found that if you get three wins you should make the top 16 and make the playoffs.

Tier 2 Win enough games to get into the top 8. This is harder to put a number on but you want to be in this tier to get one more home game.

Tier 1 Win enough games to get into the top 4 Again really hard to predict the number of wins you need, but if you make it here and win the first round of the playoffs you get a second home game.

Not a big difference between spots 9-16
Not a big difference between spots 5-8
Not a big difference between spots 1-4.

Hopefully this is a sign of how good this defense can be and they will continue to get better. It's been a long time since I've seen an Elder team swarm to the ball like that and make really good tackles.

Hopefully this is a sign of how good this defense can be and they will continue to get better. It's been a long time since I've seen an Elder team swarm to the ball like that and make really good tackles.
The Front 7 is no joke. There’s a lot of talent & depth across the board. PC’s OL is huge and Elder’s DL was getting pressure all night.

I’m still concerned about the Secondary outside of Gutenkust. PC had WRs getting separation and a a better QB would’ve been able to make those throws for big plays

The Pit is fantastic. The entire experience I had last night was akin to seeing the Cubs at home on an April Saturday. Worlds different than a big school environment up near Columbus. That’s not a knock on my area — just a sharp contrast in atmosphere and ambience. It was worth every minute and mile to take part in the privilege. I loved it, and am thankful.
Really glad you enjoyed your trip!

I understand wanting to keep Flowers healthy, but he’s too big of a weapon to not be returning kicks.