Week 2 Elder(1-0) at Pickerington Central(1-0)

Who will win?

• Elder Panthers

Votes: 23 33.8%
  • Pickerington Central Tigers

Votes: 45 66.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I can't wait for Friday night!! I think it'll be a great game. Although Pick Central has played a lot of powerhouse teams, those games have almost always been played at neutral sites or on the road. I've attended Pickerington and PC games for 30 years and I can't remember any really great teams coming here (unless they HAD to... playoffs or OCC league games). Glenville came to Pick (and got beat) a long, long time ago. This year we get Elder and North Allegheny!! Well done PC AD. Thank you Elder!
Wish we had a better stadium to showcase.

I can't wait for Friday night!! I think it'll be a great game. Although Pick Central has played a lot of powerhouse teams, those games have almost always been played at neutral sites or on the road. I've attended Pickerington and PC games for 30 years and I can't remember any really great teams coming here (unless they HAD to... playoffs or OCC league games). Glenville came to Pick (and got beat) a long, long time ago. This year we get Elder and North Allegheny!! Well done PC AD. Thank you Elder!

What's "wrong" with the stadium?

Hopefully you guys can come down to Cincinnati to see the Pit next year or sometime soon.

The Ditch is a fine facility. The above comment you’re replying to is one of many fellas up here that have a lot of program pride and consideration for their guests, to the point they fear the stadium being inadequate (at least in the opposing team’s eyes.)

8175D308-07F6-4A07-8FC7-BC0AFE204FAF.jpeg

Here’s the away side. Just took that a few minutes ago.

The setting is very nice. Visitor stands are newer but have relatively small capacity. There are NO 'real' restrooms on that side, although they do bring in decent port-a-potties. There is a good concession stand though. The field looks great now, but since it sits on a flood plain it's vulnerable anytime we get heavy rains. PC will eventually get a new stadium. The track, lighting, visitor seating, scoreboard, etc are all in place. Now we need a tax levy to pass in order to complete the effort (turf, concessions, parking, home grandstand, rest rooms, et al. It could be a LONG wait.

Facility shortcomings are offset though by the hospitality the fine Pick Central football fans will show you. Very knowledgeable group of dudes (and even moms) that have a high level of respect for the traditions of Ohio’s blue blood programs.

Combustion also has wicked good beer.

The Ditch is a fine facility. The above comment you’re replying to is one of many fellas up here that have a lot of program pride and consideration for their guests, to the point they fear the stadium being inadequate (at least in the opposing team’s eyes.)

View attachment 20536

I love PC's program! It is a solid "10". The stadium is a 6, at best. My old high school - Division 3, located in the middle of nowhere in Virginia, has never won a state championship... but has a new turf field, restrooms on visitor side and first-class locker rooms for home and visitors behind the end zone. I feel like PC deserves better based on the team's accomplishments.

How many does the Visitor section seat? Elder fans have a reputation for getting in early to secure good seats, but with the hot weather maybe they will wait closer to game time.

Hey, PC fans, this was the link I found yesterday for tickets and posted in the game thread in the Elder forum. Is this legit? I ask because an Elder poster ordered his ticket from this site and mentioned that they asked for his date of birth, along with all the other usual information, which seems a bit unusual.

That is just who dresses Varsity. Varsity has 80 listed on the roster. JV has 65(9 are also listed on Varsity). If they dressed all JV and Varsity they would have 136 dressing. The freshman team has a roster of 84.

Elder has 220 football players freshman through senior.
Elder has 84 kids on the freshman team.? That seems like a crazy number to me. Is that just a crazy big freshman class or is that just normal.

I love PC's program! It is a solid "10". The stadium is a 6, at best. My old high school - Division 3, located in the middle of nowhere in Virginia, has never won a state championship... but has a new turf field, restrooms on visitor side and first-class locker rooms for home and visitors behind the end zone. I feel like PC deserves better based on the team's accomplishments.

Where in VA?

Actually it’s lower than past years. Numbers Closer to 100 are not unusual

It's been a long time since Elder has had 100 freshman football players. In the 90s and 2000s I believe they would have close to 100 or a little over and they would try to get some to quit and maybe even make cuts. The landscape has changed a lot since then. The feeder schools are smaller and the feeder football programs once stand alone now combine with multiple other Catholic grade schools to field one team. The other things that have hurt football like negative concussion news and the rise in popularity of soccer and other sports now available year round have hurt the grade school numbers too. Elder still generally has a lot of football players coming out for football though, never below 50 usually between 60 and 80 the last 10 years.

You can go to EHSports to see past freshman rosters but it only goes to around the last 15 years.

www.ehsports.com

View attachment 20536

I was actually hating the fact that this game is on a grass field because typically the grass isn't too well-maintained and is very thick and clunky. But this grass looks really nice! That's what it should look like.

It's been a long time since Elder has had 100 freshman football players. In the 90s and 2000s I believe they would have close to 100 or a little over and they would try to get some to quit and maybe even make cuts. The landscape has changed a lot since then. The feeder schools are smaller and the feeder football programs once stand alone now combine with multiple other Catholic grade schools to field one team. The other things that have hurt football like negative concussion news and the rise in popularity of soccer and other sports now available year round have hurt the grade school numbers too. Elder still generally has a lot of football players coming out for football though, never below 50 usually between 60 and 80 the last 10 years.

You can go to EHSports to see past freshman rosters but it only goes to around the last 15 years.

www.ehsports.com
Most HS programs would be stoked to have 25, let alone 50. 80 is just a blessing. A couple of those kids just statistically get big and strong and boom you have a decent program.

Elder has 84 kids on the freshman team.? That seems like a crazy number to me. Is that just a crazy big freshman class or is that just normal.
Over the past 5 years, it's one of their bigger teams. 10-15 years ago it wasn't uncommon to have 100+.

Over recent years, on average the teams have had roughly:
Freshmen - 65-75
JV - 45-55
Varsity - 75-85

Though it's not uncommon for them to have:
Freshmen - 90-100
JV - 55-65
Varsity - 90+

Last edited:
Over the past 5 years, it's one of their bigger teams. 10-15 years ago it wasn't uncommon to have 100+.

Over recent years, on average the teams have had roughly:
Freshmen - 65-75
JV - 45-55
Varsity - 75-85

Though it's not uncommon for them to have:
Freshmen - 90-100
JV - 55-65
Varsity - 90+
Crazy numbers My perspective as a public school fan with about 900 boys 9-12 is 50 is a HUGE number. 40 is the goal for Frosh class .