Week 2: (1-0) D6 Coldwater @ (0-1) D1 Cincinnati Oak Hills

Who Wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Im in the minority on this thread. I expect this to be a good competitive game. I think the Cavs players and coaches will be significantly challenged. They will need to be locked in and have a great week of practice. Oak Hills doesn't seem like a garbage 0-10 program too me. They have a big roster so kids are wanting to be there and play, decent size players across the board, good athletes. QB is elusive and can make plays... I dont see a lack of discipline; I see good schemes and preparation. Im glad the Cavs have this challenge. Win or lose, this will make them a better team.

Again, I believe the program that has been built at Coldwater is something that most schools can't build. These boys are making reads that most high school kids will never make, they execute flawlessly, they play with urgency and they are in excellent shape.
Oak Hills has one thing going for them, numbers in the hallways.
If that mattered, then Trotwood would never play some of the schools they play being D3.

I would assume Oak Hills loses good football players to La Salle, Elder, and X with them being close by. If they also had players in the district going to Colerain as 4GX alluded too, it’s not to hard to figure out why their athletic teams struggle.
You are right (though to be fair, it is 12 miles and early 30 minutes drive from Oak Hills HS to St. X)-- but that (those Catholic schools drawing some Oak Hills district residents) has been true since Oak Hills was founded-- and Oak Hills had many decades of fair to even good results in all sports-- including football; there is an odd (and probably not random) correlation with Oak Hills' descent into football patheticism and Colerain's rise to football superiority-- both really took hold, with Kerry Coombs ascent to the Colerain head coaching position, some time in the 1990's-- I strongly believe that is/was far more than an interesting coincidence.

Kirtland to Mercer Co. is 3.5 hrs. that is why you won't see a series between K and ML or CW.
Coldwater to Oak Hills is 2.2 hours and over 100 miles-- it's not like THAT's a trip next door... And this is NOT a series-- Coldwater won't be playing Oak Hills regularly-- this is most likely a one off-- which could certainly be done with Kirtland. X and Ig DO play a recurring series, annually for over 25 years now-- and the commute distance is 4 hours and over 250 miles-- there's no reason an occasional game (let alone a series) could not happen, if the teams really wanted to make it happen.

The little guys are dodging the other GIANT little guys-- except, of course, when the MAC teams play each other in their league games-- but there is no reason that schools like Wyoming, Ironton, Kirtland, (and even the "fraidy-cats" of Steubenville) could not get in on some of these fantastic inter-sectional rivalry games with the MAC schools-- logistics is no excuse.

All the more reason a game against a Kirkland-type team makes sense here-- Kirtland probably has the same problem.

Despite your claims that "it would be a good game", there is a reason that when the very good small schools step up to play a Division I or II school, like Ironton (vs. Sycamore last year) and Coldwater (vs. Oak Hills this year), they do NOT do it against the best teams in the top Divisions-- you don't (and probably won't ever) see Coldwater stepping up to play Pickerington Central, or Mentor, or Elder or X, or Ig, or Ed-- despite many of those teams ALSO having a tough time filling their schedules-- all throughout the season-- not just in Week 2. Coldwater (if they truly have 80 players "dressed") will have as many or MORE players on the field as/than nearly all of those schools (except X)-- and more than DOUBLE what Division II Massillon Washington brought to X for a scrimmage last week.

As for Oak Hills being "pasted by Versailles a few years back"-- don't clap anybody on the back about that-- Oak Hills gets "pasted" by just about EVERYBODY they play-- Oak Hills would probably get pasted by St. Rita's School for the Deaf, if they still had a school (and a team). Oak Hills struggles to win one game a year, against the other worst team in their league-- despite being one of the 5 or 10 largest schools in enrollment in the state (once #1), and having a student body drawn from middle class suburbs with plenty of economic advantages-- it is one of the great mysteries of Cincinnati HS sports why Oak Hills is relatively poor in most sports; and it wasn't always thus: Oak Hills USED to be very good in wrestling, pretty good in baseball and basketball, and competitive in football-- but the district and the school have pretty much gone down the drain in athletics over the last 10-20 years... maybe now that Colerain is no longer going to be a dominant power in football, a few of the kids who are decent football players, around the edges of the Oak Hills district, who used to "somehow" find their way to playing for Colerain will now stay at home and play for Oak Hills-- but I'm not holding my breath.
What a load of total garbage. Oak Hills consistently finishes in the middle of the GMC all-sports standings, some years finishing as high as third or fourth. The basketball program is as consistently good as almost any team in the city not named Moeller. The baseball team is almost always very good. Track, swimming, cross country, volleyball all are consistently competitive. I never understand the motivation of some people (mostly GCL fans) to constantly paint Oak Hills as a total failure. Go to the GMC website if you think I’m wrong. It’s all on record.

Kirtland to Mercer Co. is 3.5 hrs. that is why you won't see a series between K and ML or CW.
Speaking of that, my dream come true would be to have a Week 1 matchup against a MAC school for three years or so. Game would take place at a neutral location. Something like Coldwater in ‘23, Marion Local in ‘24, & Minster in ‘25.

I believe MAC plays each other weeks 2-10, so it would have to take place week 1.

Again, easier said than done, but one can dream…that would draw quite the crowd.

Again, I believe the program that has been built at Coldwater is something that most schools can't build. These boys are making reads that most high school kids will never make, they execute flawlessly, they play with urgency and they are in excellent shape.
Oak Hills has one thing going for them, numbers in the hallways.
If that mattered, then Trotwood would never play some of the schools they play being D3.
I'd have to agree. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it...and very few outside of that league in D4-D7 are. The culture of most of the MAC schools isn't something you could replicate at a typical small rural public.

This is going to be a big ole butt whooping if this is close to a typical Coldwater team. The top few MAC teams that are winning state titles regularly would be very competitive against most of D1 most years outside of roughly the top 20 programs that have more top end talent and depth. I'd look for a running clock for most if not all of the second half here.

What a load of total garbage. Oak Hills consistently finishes in the middle of the GMC all-sports standings, some years finishing as high as third or fourth. The basketball program is as consistently good as almost any team in the city not named Moeller. The baseball team is almost always very good. Track, swimming, cross country, volleyball all are consistently competitive. I never understand the motivation of some people (mostly GCL fans) to constantly paint Oak Hills as a total failure. Go to the GMC website if you think I’m wrong. It’s all on record.
I may have misspoken on the total sports program-- I do agree Oak Hills continues to have very strong girls teams-- and that is boosting their results in the GMC all-sports standings.

However, I'd frame the question in terms of the boys sports-- where does Oak Hills come out in the GMC, looking only at the boys sports? I am accustomed to paying attention to their baseball team (which does not seem to be nearly as good as it once was, in the days of Wegman and Klingenbeck)-- Oak Hills used to regularly have guys get drafted by MLB-- they had 11 MLB draft choices, from 1975-2000, and only 4 in the last 20+ years-- with the last one a decade ago (2012)-- this is NOT the Oak Hills baseball team that I remember. I am less up on Oak Hills' basketball team-- but I do remember an era where they were regularly in the top 10 teams in Greater Cincinnati-- and often progressed well into the state basketball tournament-- I don't remember them doing that any time in the last decade.

I also admit to letting the higher profile sports bias my view-- football, basketball, and baseball (and wrestling, at one time) get the most publicity--and I don't know a lot about how well Oak Hills' boys golf, tennis, cross-country, track, swimming, volleyball, lacrosse, and bowling teams have been doing-- perhaps THAT's where all the Oak Hills boys athletes have gravitated.

Im in the minority on this thread. I expect this to be a good competitive game. I think the Cavs players and coaches will be significantly challenged. They will need to be locked in and have a great week of practice. Oak Hills doesn't seem like a garbage 0-10 program too me. They have a big roster so kids are wanting to be there and play, decent size players across the board, good athletes. QB is elusive and can make plays... I dont see a lack of discipline; I see good schemes and preparation. Im glad the Cavs have this challenge. Win or lose, this will make them a better team.
OH played Turpin close 28 - 14 loss, I believe Turpin the last several years has had a good program. Might not be the blow out most posters are predicting. Believe Oak Hills has 23 srs. on their roster.

Last edited:
Some people just don’t understand that OH Football is the worst Sports Program at the School. Your 100% right that OH consistently finishes middle of the pack or higher in almost all the other sports in the GMC.

Home opener this week for OH and they gonna get beat down by Coldwater.

Oak Hills and Middletown don’t need to be in the GMC. They will never beat anyone. No matter what coaches both schools get they’ll never get anywhere with their best players kicked out of school and selling drugs. If they ever want to win anything the GMC is not for them. Best off be independent.

Oak Hills and Middletown don’t need to be in the GMC. They will never beat anyone. No matter what coaches both schools get they’ll never get anywhere with their best players kicked out of school and selling drugs. If they ever want to win anything the GMC is not for them. Best off be independent.
OH has their best players kicked out of school already? Didn’t School just start?

OH has their best players kicked out of school already? Didn’t School just start?
I’m talking about over the years not 1 year. Thru the last 2 decades that’s why OH and MT has sucked so bad. Their best players get kicked out of school for whatever and get in trouble with the law. Ask any Middletown fan and they’ll tell you. Both schools ain’t got much talent since they lose their best players getting caught stealing vandalism drugs whatever.

I’m talking about over the years not 1 year. Thru the last 2 decades that’s why OH and MT has sucked so bad. Their best players get kicked out of school for whatever and get in trouble with the law. Ask any Middletown fan and they’ll tell you. Both schools ain’t got much talent since they lose their best players getting caught stealing vandalism drugs
You smokin the good man. Sounds like you should do more passing than puffing. What sport is Monroe great at?

Coldwater to Oak Hills is 2.2 hours and over 100 miles-- it's not like THAT's a trip next door... And this is NOT a series-- Coldwater won't be playing Oak Hills regularly-- this is most likely a one off-- which could certainly be done with Kirtland. X and Ig DO play a recurring series, annually for over 25 years now-- and the commute distance is 4 hours and over 250 miles-- there's no reason an occasional game (let alone a series) could not happen, if the teams really wanted to make it happen.

The little guys are dodging the other GIANT little guys-- except, of course, when the MAC teams play each other in their league games-- but there is no reason that schools like Wyoming, Ironton, Kirtland, (and even the "fraidy-cats" of Steubenville) could not get in on some of these fantastic inter-sectional rivalry games with the MAC schools-- logistics is no excuse.
It is. Coldwater plays Bellefontaine in 22 and 23 in week 2
Speaking of that, my dream come true would be to have a Week 1 matchup against a MAC school for three years or so. Game would take place at a neutral location. Something like Coldwater in ‘23, Marion Local in ‘24, & Minster in ‘25.

I believe MAC plays each other weeks 2-10, so it would have to take place week 1.

Again, easier said than done, but one can dream…that would draw quite the crowd.
The MAC plays 2 non-conference games

uh nah MAC teams in a D1 league would get killed .Dont judge D1 leagues by Oak Hills. Their kids get recruited by all the top private schools in Cincinnati.STX, Elder, Moeller, and Lassalle are outstanding for a reason. Cincinnati all-star teams.
The 2-3 best MAC teams would probably get drilled by the cream of the crop top privates, Lakota West, Springfield, etc. I think you're in denial if you don't believe they'd be very competitive against the meh D1s like a Miamisburg or a Lebanon. A bad D1 like an Oak Hills or a Beavercreek is going to be roadkill.

Oak Hills is one of the largest districts in the state of Ohio...
With that said...It doesn't mean squat....Oak Hills High are perennial losers in football....(They even struggle vs. the KY teams).

Now Turpin is a very solid program and it was a win for OH to go into halftime tied 7-7...

Here is some game film from the Turpin contest:
It was 21-14 to start the 4th and OH missed a 33 FG.

The 2-3 best MAC teams would probably get drilled by the cream of the crop top privates, Lakota West, Springfield, etc. I think you're in denial if you don't believe they'd be very competitive against the meh D1s like a Miamisburg or a Lebanon. A bad D1 like an Oak Hills or a Beavercreek is going to be roadkill.
bingo. Marion Local wins 5/10 times vs a very middle of the pack team in D1 like Lebanon. top half of MAC would throttle Beavercreek. Oak Hills and Beavercreek are very similar, in my opinion.

Oak Hills showed signs of life last year. it wasn’t as ugly as years past. i still think Coldwater wins by 35ish

you’re underestimating how tough a trip for a game across the state is. it’s unnecessary especially if both teams can find opponents closer to home. i understand some situations- Ironton scheduling Sycamore last year was a great game considering both teams situations. it makes no sense in a normal year. Kirtland to Mercer county or Wyoming to Steubenville just make no sense- STUDENT athletes having to take a day off of school to sit on a bus 2-3 times the amount of time the game will last. would need hotels in many cases. fans won’t travel well 3+ hours away. it’s high schools sports.

It was 21-14 to start the 4th and OH missed a 33 FG.
Oak Hills finished the game with 4 total yards rushing....4 yards on 28 attempts...
If Turpin doesn't get flagged 7X at critical spots they pull away easy.
A bright note Oak Hills, they actually punted the ball 3X with a 51 yard average... (but they still went for it on 4th down four times).
I remember the days when they would not punt then not make it on 4th down either...

you’re underestimating how tough a trip for a game across the state is. it’s unnecessary especially if both teams can find opponents closer to home. i understand some situations- Ironton scheduling Sycamore last year was a great game considering both teams situations. it makes no sense in a normal year. Kirtland to Mercer county or Wyoming to Steubenville just make no sense- STUDENT athletes having to take a day off of school to sit on a bus 2-3 times the amount of time the game will last. would need hotels in many cases. fans won’t travel well 3+ hours away. it’s high schools sports.
Guess you’re unaware of the lengths the D1 Catholic schools are forced to go to fill their schedules.

W
uh dude that is very racist and it is not true . I am sure Middletown and Oak Hills have the same drug problem as every other school in Ohio including Monroe.
hat the hell you talking about? You think I’m racist? It’s the truth. I never said black or whiter Mexican. Never said what race dude. It’s a little bit of both.

You are a clueless troll. Oak Hills is not dropping out of the GMC because of one sport.

Guess you’re unaware of the lengths the D1 Catholic schools are forced to go to fill their schedules.
I would venture to guess the smaller privates run into the same scheduling headaches. In Week 1 we saw Bishop Hartley drive hours north to Youngstown to play Urusline. It made for a great Week 1 game, but was also played on a school day (Thursday). I imagine it gets rather disruptive. Even Cleveland St. Ignatius traveled to Springfield for a Week 1 game. Those are definitely long travel games for the regular season.