Week 13: Division III Region 9 Semifinal #3 Ursuline Fighting Irish (10-2) vs #2 Canfield Cardinals (10-1)

Is Canfield going to get a chance to avenge their loss to Chardon last year or will the Irish get a

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yeah weather is definitely going to be a factor tonight. Though it appears by kickoff the rain should be letting up and moving out by possibly half. Even then, the field and balls are going to be wet

Less than 800 tickets sold as of yesterday.
If fans were waiting to decide whether or not to go based on the weather, there's going to be less than 1,200 in attendance tonight.
Likely see a similar crowd, if not smaller, for South Range-Mooney.

I wonder if Ursuline fans would be bothered if the game was played at Canfield in front of a decent size crowd because I wouldn't care if they played at Stambaugh.

I wonder if Ursuline fans would be bothered if the game was played at Canfield in front of a decent size crowd because I wouldn't care if they played at Stambaugh.
If Canfield fans can't travel a straight 12 miles down the road for a third-round game against a local opponent in a much-hyped game, they're just not interested enough in this team. Period!!! Enough with this already! It's not like the game is being played in Siberia. It's almost as though Canfield fans have been making excuses all week long for tonight's poor showing. Apparently there just isn't much interest in Canfield football based on your weeklong posts. If there are, say, 1,000 Canfield fans at the game tonight, NO WAY would that number even double to 2,000 if the game was played at Canfield. This notion that Canfield fans can't make the trip ALLLLLL THE WAY TO NILES is absurd. Clearly, the interest simply is not there.

If Canfield fans can't travel a straight 12 miles down the road for a third-round game against a local opponent in a much-hyped game, they're just not interested enough in this team. Period!!! Enough with this already! It's not like the game is being played in Siberia. It's almost as though Canfield fans have been making excuses all week long for tonight's poor showing. Apparently there just isn't much interest in Canfield football based on your weeklong posts. If there are, say, 1,000 Canfield fans at the game tonight, NO WAY would that number even double to 2,000 if the game was played at Canfield. This notion that Canfield fans can't make the trip ALLLLLL THE WAY TO NILES is absurd. Clearly, the interest simply is not there.
No they would have showed up if it was in Austintown or Boardman and the weather was decent. The trouble is ever since Covid, people live much differently now, attendance is down for most schools/communities. I was at every Canfield playoff game in 2005, and we will never see crowds like that ever again and it was freezing and snow ❄️ and ice 🧊 and really windy the last 3 weeks I think.

No they would have showed up if it was in Austintown or Boardman and the weather was decent. The trouble is ever since Covid, people live much differently now, attendance is down for most schools/communities. I was at every Canfield playoff game in 2005, and we will never see crowds like that ever again and it was freezing and snow ❄️ and ice 🧊 and really windy the last 3 weeks I think.
I call BS on your first sentence. You act like Niles is 200 miles further than Boardman or Austintown. Believe me, there isn't much difference

I get it now, Niles is the COVID capital of the United States. Austintown and Boardman, because it's closer to home, is considered safe travel and immune to COVID for the football crowds. :D:D... Hell if I were in Canfield I'd almost rather travel to Niles than to fight the 224 traffic into Boardman. In all seriousness, these "If this game was played in Mahoning County the crowd would be........." posts are pure silliness. Canfield fans in your opinion just aren't interested. Come out and say it! The excuses of why Canfield fans won't travel 12 miles for a third-round game are foolish.

I call BS on your first sentence. You act like Niles is 200 miles further than Boardman or Austintown. Believe me, there isn't much difference
Anything that requires slightly more time or effort basically is a non-starter. I am basing my remarks off of what other spectators at the game last Friday night told me. That they wouldn't bother to go if the game was not home or not extremely close/convenient.

Anything that requires slightly more time or effort basically is a non-starter. I am basing my remarks off of what other spectators at the game last Friday night told me. That they wouldn't bother to go if the game was not home or not extremely close/convenient.
So you're just telling me Canfield has just a bunch of fair weather fans, and Canfield high school football is not really that important

So you're just telling me Canfield has just a bunch of fair weather fans, and Canfield high school football is not really that important
I am telling you it is a different time, when I grew up I used to see lots of kids playing outside, people sitting on their porch, people at the park, people have different priorities now and use their time a lot differently then they formerly did.
Also since Covid a lot of people stopped going to church for the same reason. People have a different type of lifestyle now. The people in the community are supportive of the team but they won't change their lifestyle to go to the game. A lot of fans with younger kids left early last Friday, that was not the case for many years. Times have changed, and very few communities prioritize football games as much as they did formerly. Some people stopped going when Covid started and never returned and never will.

Oh wow clear fumble, Ursuline with a gift call. Be interesting to see if that has any impact on the game. If Ursuline punches it in here and gets the ball to start the second half. If they got that fumble call correct we could be talking a blowout 34-6 halftime score and game over.

Ursuline scores before half. 27-12 Canfield. Not sure why Canfield just ran the last 2 minutes off and not tried to get more points.

Ursuline capitalizes on the gift fumble call, this is going to be super interesting just based on that. I’m not confident in Ursuline finding a way to stop Lowry but this game is undoubtedly over by half otherwise.

Ursuline capitalizes on the gift fumble call, this is going to be super interesting just based on that. I’m not confident in Ursuline finding a way to stop Lowry but this game is undoubtedly over by half otherwise.
Yeah if Canfield was up 34-6, they could just run clock in the 2nd half and play keep away, there would be no way Ursuline could make up a 4 score deficit

Erickson at least gives them the ability to throw it. Ursuline is losing the up front battle so going heavier focus on run w/ Ferrell doesn’t seem like the answer.

Ursuline is lucky to only be down 15