Week 13: Division III Region 9 Semifinal #3 Ursuline Fighting Irish (10-2) vs #2 Canfield Cardinals (10-1)

Is Canfield going to get a chance to avenge their loss to Chardon last year or will the Irish get a

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sorry Simkon. The good news is since Niles is too small for this game (since they are overstating their 9k capacity), the extra long drive down 46 from Mahoning County will prevent a lot of people from coming. Consequently, there should be ample seating Friday night. Genius strategy by the OHSAA!

The problem I have is that by the time I get off work, if it is further than a 10-15 minute drive, then I won't make it on time. And I always have a lot of paperwork to do after work on Fridays so my time is especially dear. My situation is less than ideal but it is what it is. But I am calling it now, Canfield will have a small crowd.

Alright, now can we get a scouting report? Any noteworthy injuries or emerging role players? If it is going to rain hard, how will it affect each team?

If Ursuline stops lowry from running the ball it’s going to be a long night for the cardinals. Easier said then done tho they don’t have a good run defense

Hard to say but things have gotten worse between them since Reardon came back. It's very telling that Boardman is hosting Kenston vs Chardon instead of the 2 biggest local games in the area...
How are they even eligible to host a game between those 2 teams? It turns what would be a 10-15 minute drive for each team into an hour-plus trip that isn't even close to either fanbase. This seems ridiculously petty by Boardman. Not only are they losing money, but it is a huge black eye for them locally. If what Spartan0505 is saying is true, I would stay as far away from all 4 of those teams in future scheduling as possible. They would probably like to earn their "blackballed" status the exciting way.
P.S. Making UHS and CMHS drive to Trumbull County for their PLAYOFF game isn't going to keep your junior high kids from wanting to play for a better program.

Let's be real if you're a propsective Boardman parent why would you even want your kids to go there right now as compared to Ursuline? I know what I'd do if I were in that position right now...

If schools can charge for parking and get most of ther concessions not sure why you'd turn that $$ down.

Let's be real if you're a propsective Boardman parent why would you even want your kids to go there right now as compared to Ursuline? I know what I'd do if I were in that position right now...

If schools can charge for parking and get most of ther concessions not sure why you'd turn that $$ down.
Here is the reality, if you host Canfield vs Ursuline, you probably get about 6,000-8,000 fans, if you host Chardon vs Kenston you probably get about half that at best. You don't have to be very good at math to figure out you would make twice as much money. Canfield has no problem hosting an area parochial (they have JFK vs Southern on Saturday).

Hard to say but things have gotten worse between them since Reardon came back. It's very telling that Boardman is hosting Kenston vs Chardon instead of the 2 biggest local games in the area...
Thing is Reardon, and Dota both worked together as assistants at Warren Harding, under McDaniels.

What a Bunch of whiners ! Driving to Niles, is what, 30 minutes. Look at all,of the other neutral site matchups. Steubenville is driving 1:45 to Zanesville, and I am sure without looking that this is not the longest drive this weekend.

Canfield has no problem hosting the parochial but won't play them.
Doesn't matter where game is ursuline wins.
Canfield actually plays parochials in the regular season they have played Lake Catholic, Notre Dame-Cathedral Latin, and St. Thomas recently and formerly played JFK until the early 90s I think.

What a Bunch of whiners ! Driving to Niles, is what, 30 minutes. Look at all,of the other neutral site matchups. Steubenville is driving 1:45 to Zanesville, and I am sure without looking that this is not the longest drive this weekend.
I sympathize for those that have long drives I have been in that boat before when we played Columbus area schools in Columbus, but there was no reason to take this game or Mooney vs South Range up to Trumbull County. It is not like there wasn't a better venue to choose from...
Unfortunately I have a lot of constraints due to work and could only make it to the game if it was only a 10-15 minute drive. With the game being in Niles, best case scenario I walk in the gate 45 minutes after kickoff, which at that point it is not worth going in my book. Hopefully it is the GOTW and I will watch on the App or on tv.

If all your worried about is football, maybe that’s the case. 99% of parents and kids aren’t selecting a school based on recent football success though. Boardman’s equal or better in just about every other sport currently and historically, arts aren’t even debatable, and academics are better with more options.

I’d have preferred the local matchups at Boardman, but I’d have to assume whatever’s going on with Ursuline is a big enough deal that they’ve taken this stance. I’ve just heard some of it, so not enough to really say Boardman is being petty or not. I’d have to assume there’s something more to it because it’s not like Ursuline coaches haven’t called Boardman kids in the past to try to get hoops or football transfers.

I think people overestimate what schools make for hosting. You can only get 25% cut of 50/50, parking capped at $2, and concessions (at least at boardman are outsourced so it’s a minimal cut. You get nothing from ticket sales other than covering your cost. Maybe you make a few thousand for a good deal of extra work/volunteers needed.

I think people overestimate what schools make for hosting. You can only get 25% cut of 50/50, parking capped at $2, and concessions (at least at boardman are outsourced so it’s a minimal cut. You get nothing from ticket sales other than covering your cost. Maybe you make a few thousand for a good deal of extra work/volunteers neneeded.
I know a kid who is a QB who will be a Freshmen next year who lives in Boardman school district, however he is going to Ursuline.
As far as money goes if you figure $2 a car times 4000 cars that is $8,000 right there if you get a good turnout.

Can anyone comment on the teams, weather, matchups, injuries, etc? Enough with the location please lol
They are calling for a 50% chance for rain on Friday night. Canfield has a few kids out due to injury, I think Cocoa a LB for Canfield is out for the season. The key matchups will be Lowry vs the Ursuline DL and LBs, and if Ursuline has to walk up their SS/DBs to help in run defense then it will open up the passing game. Ursuline will have to look out for the play action pass, sneaking a TE in the middle of the field. Canfield will have to be careful on defense, to not have any blown coverages, to not over pursue, and to not miss tackles.

I know a kid who is a QB who will be a Freshmen next year who lives in Boardman school district, however he is going to Ursuline.
As far as money goes if you figure $2 a car times 4000 cars that is $8,000 right there if you get a good turnout.
There would be lucky to 4,500-5,000 fans let alone that many cars. 1,500 cars maybe in that case = $3k. Crowds just aren’t what they were. Boardman has hosted several good playoff matchups since the new stadium opened and I’ve never seen it even 75% full which for a 7,500 seat stadium is 5,500-6,000 at most.

Ursuline and Mooney both have way, way smaller fan bases than they did. If you get 2,000 from them that’s a great turnout.

There would be lucky to 4,500-5,000 fans let alone that many cars. 1,500 cars maybe in that case = $3k. Crowds just aren’t what they were. Boardman has hosted several good playoff matchups since the new stadium opened and I’ve never seen it even 75% full which for a 7,500 seat stadium is 5,500-6,000 at most.

Ursuline and Mooney both have way, way smaller fan bases than they did. If you get 2,000 from them that’s a great turnout.
I think the Big Red vs Hubbard playoff game was over 75% capacity