Week 1- Green Bulldogs @ Ellet Orangemen

Bull GreenDog

This has the potential to be a fun local rivalry. Green and Ellet are only 20 minutes apart, so there should be a good crowd for Friday's game. These two have had some exciting games in basketball over the years, but Green hasn't played football at Ellet since 2002. I'm interested to see the Orangemen's new stadium and what kind of team they have.

Last edited:

Green fans that want to see the game should get there early. First couple of rows are very difficult to see from. Need to be in the back couple of rows to have a clear view of the game. The visitor stands run the length of the field and only 5-6 rows tall. So getting there at the normal time means sitting near the middle of the field in the first few rows or sitting at one end or the other. Getting there late means you sit in the first couple rows at the 20.

Should be a great game to watch for everyone that gets a decent seat. With it being the opener, don't expect to go to the Ellet side to get a seat.

Ellet doesn't get that many fans anymore. It is definitely not the old Ellet neighborhood team. When I went to see them play Tallmadge at Ellet, the Tallmadge side was full but plenty of room on the home Ellet side.

Players to watch for Green include #8 Trevor Van Horn at QB, #3 Trey Martin at receiver and corner, #2 Quinn Simmer at receiver and safety, # 24 Jack Schaal at linebacker, two-way lineman CJ Dawson, as well as #10 at receiver and #6 at corner. Green is definitely a pass-first team and the strength of the defense should be the secondary. Ellet better have some fast DBs if they want to stop the Bulldog wideouts.

Who are the main guys for the Orangemen that Bulldog fans should be worried about on Friday?

Players to watch for Green include #8 Trevor Van Horn at QB, #3 Trey Martin at receiver and corner, #2 Quinn Simmer at receiver and safety, # 24 Jack Schaal at linebacker, two-way lineman CJ Dawson, as well as #10 at receiver and #6 at corner. Green is definitely a pass-first team and the strength of the defense should be the secondary. Ellet better have some fast DBs if they want to stop the Bulldog wideouts.

Who are the main guys for the Orangemen that Bulldog fans should be worried about on Friday?
Did Flynn graduate? He was there running a few years ago. He was little, but hard to bring down. I'm pretty sure that was his name.

After perusing my schedule and maps of first week matchups, looks like I should make it to this one. I'll be quietly rooting on sophomore Keshawn Stephens on Ellet's def line.

I miss Orangeman the poster who used to update us on Ellet athletics. He used to be a nice resource going into games like this.

Green looked really sharp tonight on both sides of the ball. Martin and Simmer especially stood out. Ellet has a star in Huwig, but he can't do it all himself. Bulldogs were by far the more prepared and better conditioned team. Crowd was pretty good on both sides. The Ellet student section and Green band were dominant. On to North Olmstead for week 2!

Congrats to Green. Not totally unexpected with who they played, but winning builds confidence.

I miss Orangeman the poster who used to update us on Ellet athletics. He used to be a nice resource going into games like this.
Im still here, mainly lurking now.
Ive given up on Ellet football until there's some new blood brought in.
Vassalotti, Linger and the principal lost me when they went with Shuman over Martin Poder (Stow asst currently HC at Brecksville).

Nobody is expecting a state title but when you cant at least compete with Green, Tallmadge and D4 schools there is a problem.

Numbers have been down despite continued success at the youth levels, parents are frustrated and the people responsible for change could care less. Ellet was ripe for change 3 years ago, instead they just threw dirt on it.

Vassalotti, Linger and the principal lost me when they went with Shuman over Martin Poder (Stow asst currently HC at Brecksville).

Nobody is expecting a state title but when you cant at least compete with Green, Tallmadge and D4 schools there is a problem.

Numbers have been down despite continued success at the youth levels, parents are frustrated and the people responsible for change could care less. Ellet was ripe for change 3 years ago, instead they just threw dirt on it.
Well in about every other year you could compete well with Green, unfortunately they have one of their best teams in many years this year and definitely their best QB-Rec. duo. Last year I believe they had 8 seniors so the Jrs. and Sophs got plenty of action. They may be fine, its a long season so hang in there. As for Vassalotti, I totally agree, expected much more out of him but he has failed the City Series, imo.

I thought that may be the case. Good to see you on here in any event. I'm confident that the privates appreciate the work of the youth program!