Week 1: Covington Catholic (KY)

ElderHSfan02

The season is here this Friday night. Elder opens with a home game vs. Cov Cath at the Pit 7pm Friday night.

For those not familiar with Cov Cath recently, they are 54-3 over the last 4 seasons that includes 2 state titles, a state runner-up, and a state final 4(last season).

Elder will find out how good they are week 1. This is not an easy opponent with Elder being the underdog at home. It's not often Elder is not favored at home, but Cov Cath has been very good recently and they return a lot from last season.

“We have a decent amount of experience in out upcoming seniors and juniors but we are replacing key positions and statistical leaders,” head coach Eddie Eviston states.

The first half of the schedule is extremely challenging. A couple of early season wins will do plenty to booster the younger players confidence. Once Covington Catholic gels it will be a load to handle.

Eviston’s teams rarely disappoint and are always well-prepared. His squads have averaged 11.4 wins per year with four state titles in his nine seasons as a head coach. Even though there will be plenty of new faces on the field for the Colonels, expect another deep playoff run from them, this fall.

Class 5A, District 5
2020 RECORD: 10-2, 4-0 Class 5A, District 5
COACH: Eddie Eviston (68-15 at Covington Catholic, six years; 103-23 overall, nine years)

TOP RETURNEES
Trevor Wilson, Sr, DL – Despite having his junior season cut short, Wilson was still named First Team All-NKY (DL). The 6-foot-4, 235-pound pass rusher has 12.0 career sacks. He has an offer from Middle Tennessee State University.

Peyton Dietz, Sr, OL – One of the best offensive linemen in northern Kentucky. Dietz was a First Team All-NKY (OL) selection, as a junior.

Aiden Jones, Jr, TE/DE – The Colonels are looking for Jones to be the general on defense. He had 53 total tackles, a sack and a scoop-and-score, as a sophomore. Jones has an offer from Eastern Kentucky University.

Adam Holtz, Sr, QB/OLB – A returning starter on defense. Holtz had 28 total tackles, four tackles for losses and a fumble recovery in 2020. He will also compete for the starting quarterback job. Holtz has three rushing touchdowns in his career.

Brayden Collins, Sr, RB – The Colonels top returning rusher. Collns had 230 yards and five touchdowns rushing, as a junior.

Garrett Benke, Jr, WR – Will play a key role in the passing game. Benke had 16 receptions for 172 yards and a touchdown in seven games, as a sophomore.

NEWCOMERS
Juniors slot/DB Zion Mason and DB Oliver Bent are expected to bolster the secondary. Mason had two interceptions including a pick six in just three games in 2020. He will also play receiver.

2021 SCHEDULE
Fri – 08/20/21 – vs. Elder (5-4 in 2020) – 7:00 PM
Fri – 08/27/21 – at Belfry (8-4) – 8:30 PM*
Fri – 09/03/21 – LEXINGTON CATHOLIC (5-3) – 7:00 PM
Fri – 09/10/21 – DIXIE HEIGHTS (6-4) – 7:00 PM
Fri – 09/17/21 – at Beechwood (10-2) – 7:00 PM
Fri – 09/24/21 – COOPER (2-3) – 7:00 PM
Fri – 10/01/21 – BOONE COUNTY (2-7) – 7:00 PM
Fri – 10/08/21 – BYE
Fri – 10/15/21 – at Highlands (5-6) – 7:00 PM
Fri – 10/22/21 – CONNER (3-4) – 7:00 PM
Fri – 10/29/21 – RYLE (6-4) – 7:00 PM
*Pike County Bowl

Elder is not an underdog in this game, even though I know the purple clan likes to consistently play that role.

Cmon man, Elder has one of the best offenses in the state at the highest level of Ohio football. Yes, it could be a competitive game, but there’s no way they’re the underdog.

Have the WR positions been finalized? I’ve heard Flowers has looked really good at RB.

Elder is not an underdog in this game, even though I know the purple clan likes to consistently play that role.

Cmon man, Elder has one of the best offenses in the state at the highest level of Ohio football. Yes, it could be a competitive game, but there’s no way they’re the underdog.

Have the WR positions been finalized? I’ve heard Flowers has looked really good at RB.

The offense will keep them in most games this season. The defense is just too much of a question mark.

i think trey would argue with someone if they said the sky was blue.....geesh.

who really cares who the underdog is. i would be willing to bet that covcath has more d1 players on their roster than elder. cov cath is also well coached. they basically get the best players in northern kentucky. so yes there is a good chance they could be the underdog.

jtk
()

i think trey would argue with someone if they said the sky was blue.....geesh.

who really cares who the underdog is. i would be willing to bet that covcath has more d1 players on their roster than elder. cov cath is also well coached. they basically get the best players in northern kentucky. so yes there is a good chance they could be the underdog.

jtk
()
I’d pushback on that. They don’t have a team like they did 2 yrs ago with Mayer. Elder has at least 3 D1 players, Ramsey, Carson Browne and the Freshman LB, who ironically enough would be starting for Cov Cath if he didn’t fall in love with Elder. Hambleton & Thomas are borderline. Dugan, Schorsch and James will also probably get D1 looks.

Last edited:
Elder should be able to move the ball, the game will be determined on how many stops they can get on D.

I expect the game to be a lot like the Highlands games of past seasons, where it’s close all the way throughout but Elder just makes 1 more play late to get the win.

I’d pushback on that. They don’t have a team like they did 2 yrs ago with Mayer. Elder has at least 3 D1 players, Ramsey, Carson Browne and the Freshman LB, who ironically enough would be starting for Cov Cath if he didn’t fall in love with Elder. Hambleton & Thomas are borderline. Dugan, Schorsch and James will also probably get D1 looks.
you know what i meant. trey acts like elder just has to show up. this isnt the same cov cath teams that elder used to play.

jtk
()

That team was one of the best in the nation that season. They won't be as good as that team but they will still be very good and a great test for Elder.

you know what i meant. trey acts like elder just has to show up. this isnt the same cov cath teams that elder used to play.

jtk
()
I didn’t say that AT ALL. I said they’re not the underdog, because they’re not. That’s all I said. I also said it would probably be a competitive game that they should win.

But keep going on mischaracterizing my posts.

Elder 42
Cov Cath - 21

Last edited:

jtk
()
I added trey to the ignore list, so I can’t read his posts. Elder most definitely cannot take this game lightly. Cov Cath is good enough to win, they just don’t have a dominant player like Mayer, who kinda beat LS by himself a few yrs back.

That team was one of the best in the nation that season. They won't be as good as that team but they will still be very good and a great test for Elder.
Again, pump the breaks on that. They weren’t even the best team in KY. I give credit to CC for beating LS, but there’s a lot of evidence LS did not take that game seriously. Which again, isn’t CC’s fault, but they weren’t 3 TDs better than LS.

Again, pump the breaks on that. They weren’t even the best team in KY. I give credit to CC for beating LS, but there’s a lot of evidence LS did not take that game seriously. Which again, isn’t CC’s fault, but they weren’t 3 TDs better than LS.

Maybe, maybe not but they did go undefeated with a 3 TD win over the GCL champs and Ohio D2 state champs.

One thing about Cov Cath is they will have their best players playing both ways. This early in the season they might not be in shape for that especially if it's a warm summer night Friday. That should be in Elder's advantage.

From Cincinnati.com

Covington Catholic at Elder

Perhaps the best Northern Kentucky-Cincinnati clash of the fall goes down on the West Side, as part of the second Friday night Skyline Chili Crosstown Showdown game.

Elder was in the Division I state title game in 2019, then reached the regional semifinals last season, falling to St. Xavier. Covington Catholic has won a pair of state championships in the last four seasons and reached the state semifinals in 2020.

The Colonels have had great success crossing the river in recent years, winning five straight against Cincinnati clubs dating to 2016. Elder is 5-0 all-time against Covington Catholic and this will be the first time they match up since 2008.

Is Schorsch starting varsity?

Is Schorsch starting varsity?

This is what I was referring to saying there are a lot of unknowns heading into week 1, specifically who is starting. Yes Omar, we know the offense is going to be good and the defense has not looked good so far. What I'm wondering is who are the 5 olineman(James, Singler, Bass?, Conners?, Schorsch?), who are the defensive ends(???, ???), who are the 4 linebackers(Spinney, Paff, Georges?, Schaerer?, Dugan?, Arnold?), who are the safeties(Summers?, ???) who are the wide receivers(Ramsey, Harp, Kirch TE, ???, ???)

Last edited:
Maybe, maybe not but they did go undefeated with a 3 TD win over the GCL champs and Ohio D2 state champs.
Cov Cath was the best team in KY in 2019. The only team that could possibly give them a game was Trinity and Trinity lost two games that year. One to Indy Cathedral by 3 tds...

Cov Cath was the best team in KY in 2019. The only team that could possibly give them a game was Trinity and Trinity lost two games that year. One to Indy Cathedral by 3 tds...
Trinity would still have beaten them, I feel confident in saying that.

Trinity would still have beaten them, I feel confident in saying that.

50/50 probably. It was 2 seasons ago pointless argument. My point was only that they were very good and one of the better teams in the nation.(top 50 I would say is safe bet).

50/50 probably. It was 2 seasons ago pointless argument. My point was only that they were very good and one of the better teams in the nation.(top 50 I would say is safe bet).
You’re right, doesn’t matter. This is not going to be a cake walk, in fact, I don’t think there’s a cake walk on the schedule all year. Even Football North has played them tough in the past.

This is what I was referring to saying there are a lot of unknowns heading into week 1, specifically who is starting. Yes Omar, we know the offense is going to be good and the defense has not looked good so far. What I'm wondering is who are the 5 olineman(James, Singler, Bass?, Conners?, Schorsch?), who are the defensive ends(???, ???), who are the 4 linebackers(Spinney, Paff, Georges?, Dugan?, Arnold?), who are the safeties(Summers?, ???) who are the wide receivers(Ramsey, Harp, Kirch TE, ???, ???)
I believe Safeties are set: Gutenkust and Flowers. WRs are pretty well set, some question on the 3rd WR and who will be the TE. Browne was at the Springboro scrimmage but didn’t play.
The one big advantage Elder has it at QB. Hambleton looked very sharp in both scrimmages and CC wasn’t sure who their QB was going into camp.

I believe Safeties are set: Gutenkust and Flowers. WRs are pretty well set, some question on the 3rd WR and who will be the TE. Browne was at the Springboro scrimmage but didn’t play.
The one big advantage Elder has it at QB. Hambleton looked very sharp in both scrimmages and CC wasn’t sure who their QB was going into camp.

Flowers starting both ways then? Are him and Paff splitting carries at RB?