Week 1: Clinton Massie (0-0) @ Waynesville (0-0)

Who wins?

• Waynesville (0-0)

Votes: 15 36.6%
  • Clinton Massie (0-0)

Votes: 26 63.4%

• Total voters
Sounds like Massie is going to battle to make the playoffs with their schedule. No one’s said that in two decades. Exciting win for Waynesville!
I agree big win for the Spartans When your defending state champs you will get everybody’s best game. So is there blood in the water and it’s gonna be a very long season for the Falcon ? Or I’m hoping it’s like Bobby Knight at Indiana when he would let his team lose to an opponent they were expected to beat to get them to focus We are getting ready to find out

My two cents.... I believe Massie will struggle with non conference this season. I called a 6-4 season with the arm chair quarterbacks I talk with lol. My biggest take away is the skill positions for the Falcons. In recent years CM has had backs that are explosive with great vision. Meaning in this style of offense the backs are hitting the right hole immediately planting their foot and getting up field. I didn't see that last night! The skill guys are young and hopefully this will get developed over time. With how aggressively Waynesville defense was playing with run blitzing etc... I bet during the CM film session Massie was one explosive back away from taking a few plays to the house! Special Teams for Massie whoaa..... Congrats to the Ville for the W??

Been a lot of talk about Massie’s offensive line leading up to this season. Highly touted. Best line ever.

They were the weak link against Waynesville.

You will not win football games when you can’t fill block or keep the D line from penetrating. You cannot win games when you kill drives with penalties.

Lots of other things that sucked tonight but Massie’s offensive line getting owned by Waynesville Defense was what stood out as the main reason Massie got beat.
I wouldn't say they were the overall problem. Waynesville was bringing 8 to 9 guys every play daring the Falcons to throw the ball. Teams have traditionally tried this type of Defensive scheme against Massie and it didn't work. However, last night it worked for the ville! Why because in years past Massie has had an elusive RB that could take away that aggressiveness. This season I don't see that RB!

I wouldn't say they were the overall problem. Waynesville was bringing 8 to 9 guys every play daring the Falcons to throw the ball. Teams have traditionally tried this type of Defensive scheme against Massie and it didn't work. However, last night it worked for the ville! Why because in years past Massie has had an elusive RB that could take away that aggressiveness. This season I don't see that RB!
Disagree……Listen, when your Offensive line cannot stop A Gap penetration…which is something Massie OLine are taught from 3rd grade….you have a problem. I’ll give it to you…..this backfield is not Vanhoose, Frank, Trampler, and Zantene…..not many ever will be. But…that’s why we run the wishbone. You don’t have to have studs and explosiveness at each of those positions to win games playing the way Massie plays…..it is nice to have though….and I think we will see that improve as some of the younger guys get acclimated. First few drives of the first half for Massie proved that you don’t have to have a Vanhoose to beat Waynesville.

You simply have to finish drives. No penalties and no missed blocking assignments by the line or the backs. Drive killers.

My point in my initial comment is just to say that I was more disappointed in the line play than anything else I saw last night. I could right 4 pages on other factors that contributed to the loss……but despite all of that….it was a one score ballgame late in the second half and when it gets to that point in the game our offensive line has to take over and they simply didn’t.

All I have read and heard leading up to this season is how good this offensive line is.

And rightly so….with the exception of 1 or two kids the majority of the offensive line is intact from a year ago. That Senior group last year isn’t walking around with a ring on their finger without those junior OLineman last year. They were pretty nasty.

That was last year and it don’t mean crap now.
Just because you were good last year doesn’t mean that you are entitled to just come out and bully people around this year and expect them to lay down. They need to realize they are going to be in a dog fight every damn game and nothing is going to be given to them.

We had the opportunity last night to tie it up.
If what is supposed to be the strength of our team takes care of business and doesn’t miss blocking assignments and does not make mental mistakes that result in penalties we likely would have driven down the field and made it a game.

Pretty humbling experience last night in my opinion for both the boys and the coaches in my opinion……only make this team better in the long run.

Massie has had many winning seasons and playoff runs without 3 studs in the backfield.

Early on in the McSurely era you were lucky to get 1 guy that could take it to the house from 80 yards out…..still found a way to win football games.

Disagree……Listen, when your Offensive line cannot stop A Gap penetration…which is something Massie OLine are taught from 3rd grade….you have a problem. I’ll give it to you…..this backfield is not Vanhoose, Frank, Trampler, and Zantene…..not many ever will be. But…that’s why we run the wishbone. You don’t have to have studs and explosiveness at each of those positions to win games playing the way Massie plays…..it is nice to have though….and I think we will see that improve as some of the younger guys get acclimated. First few drives of the first half for Massie proved that you don’t have to have a Vanhoose to beat Waynesville.

You simply have to finish drives. No penalties and no missed blocking assignments by the line or the backs. Drive killers.

My point in my initial comment is just to say that I was more disappointed in the line play than anything else I saw last night. I could right 4 pages on other factors that contributed to the loss……but despite all of that….it was a one score ballgame late in the second half and when it gets to that point in the game our offensive line has to take over and they simply didn’t.

All I have read and heard leading up to this season is how good this offensive line is.

And rightly so….with the exception of 1 or two kids the majority of the offensive line is intact from a year ago. That Senior group last year isn’t walking around with a ring on their finger without those junior OLineman last year. They were pretty nasty.

That was last year and it don’t mean crap now.
Just because you were good last year doesn’t mean that you are entitled to just come out and bully people around this year and expect them to lay down. They need to realize they are going to be in a dog fight every damn game and nothing is going to be given to them.

We had the opportunity last night to tie it up.
If what is supposed to be the strength of our team takes care of business and doesn’t miss blocking assignments and does not make mental mistakes that result in penalties we likely would have driven down the field and made it a game.

Pretty humbling experience last night in my opinion for both the boys and the coaches in my opinion……only make this team better in the long run.

Massie has had many winning seasons and playoff runs without 3 studs in the backfield.

Early on in the McSurely era you were lucky to get 1 guy that could take it to the house from 80 yards out…..still found a way to win football games.
Disagree! Those first few drives if you do have an explosive back in the backfield you score multiple times!!!

I’d advise not pitting positions against eachother and just say the entire CM team laid an egg. I’m sure Waynesville had their number since the game was scheduled. I’m sure Massie was still on cloud 9 and sometimes football is just poetic. That’s why we love the game.

Last edited:
Only conference game I see Massie possibly losing is Western Brown. They will roll the others. DeSales might be a challenge in non conference. Probably end up 8-2, perhaps 7-3.
My two cents.... I believe Massie will struggle with non conference this season. I called a 6-4 season with the arm chair quarterbacks I talk with lol. My biggest take away is the skill positions for the Falcons. In recent years CM has had backs that are explosive with great vision. Meaning in this style of offense the backs are hitting the right hole immediately planting their foot and getting up field. I didn't see that last night! The skill guys are young and hopefully this will get developed over time. With how aggressively Waynesville defense was playing with run blitzing etc... I bet during the CM film session Massie was one explosive back away from taking a few plays to the house! Special Teams for Massie whoaa..... Congrats to the Ville for the W??