We needed expanded playoffs for Covid with cancellations. Reduce it now.

I can’t believe that grown men actually think they have an opinion that matters on this topic that has nothing to do with them. Who cares if the let the top 4 or the top 100 in.
as long as the bills get paid.

There are some practicalities to consider. The "dilutes the season" is about the only one I'd take off the table. As long as a school can opt out, be it severe mismatch that wouldn't be safe (because there are those coaches who will use that weaker team to make their point about 8 vs. 16 or whatever point) I'm fine with 16.

The only people I hear complaining about how many make the playoffs are the people not playing....I have NEVER heard a kid, parent or coach complain about making the playoffs. They bust their for this chance and I guarantee you there are ALOT of teams that would love to have 1 more week of football even if it's against Ed's, hoban, Massillon or whoever. For some it's years of work and they finally accomplished something their dad or brother didn't do in the past....just accept it and let the kids enjoy 1 more game. Never know...maybe some of the shock the state even

I'm seeing teams that would of not got in with only 8 seeds
That would make their year.
Playing spoiler.
La Salllle , Winton woods
Perry , Massillon
Glenoak , McKinley
Just to name a few.

This let them all in approach is what is wrong with our current society. Too soft....there are winners and losers in football and society. If you want a week 11. try something crazy like earning enough wins so you can be in playoffs instead of just giving it too them for that wonderful 1-9 season. Football is supposed to teach real world lessons. Whether it hurts their feeling or not is a joke. I have been involved in many games and no one looks forward to a blowout. The losing teams embarrassed or worse...kids get hurt. The winning team is just trying to not get players hurt for next real game and pad stats. The fan hate them and don't show up unless relative playing. Make sure we give every player a trophy and a juice box for showing up to and fruit cup. You can be the juice box coach Dirt.

This let them all in approach is what is wrong with our current society. Too soft....there are winners and losers in football and society. If you want a week 11. try something crazy like earning enough wins so you can be in playoffs instead of just giving it too them for that wonderful 1-9 season.

You are proposing two things you don;'t want to admit to. Defining a "too soft" for play-offs record regardless Harbins or placement and what you're going to do with all your free time since you can't post on Yappi anymore. :D

This let them all in approach is what is wrong with our current society. Too soft....there are winners and losers in football and society. If you want a week 11. try something crazy like earning enough wins so you can be in playoffs instead of just giving it too them for that wonderful 1-9 season. Football is supposed to teach real world lessons. Whether it hurts their feeling or not is a joke. I have been involved in many games and no one looks forward to a blowout. The losing teams embarrassed or worse...kids get hurt. The winning team is just trying to not get players hurt for next real game and pad stats. The fan hate them and don't show up unless relative playing. Make sure we give every player a trophy and a juice box for showing up to and fruit cup. You can be the juice box coach Dirt.
These games are not played for the fans like you. It's for the players. So, your opinion is irrelevant. Again.....I have yet to hear a kid complain about making the playoffs no matter who it's against.

Ouch...you got me. As I said before. I even fine with 16 . just not in d-1 with 17 teams in a region. Common sense says a 1-9 team season should end with fewest game possible.
No "gotcha." I was just addressing a common gripe of 16-in, being the low record of some teams. If this was about "common sense," you all would have already bowed down to my wisdom.

If 1-9 is not allowed, then 2-8? 3-7? This is the common sense extension of that reasoning. The 1-9 record is NOT a "common sense" end. A "common sense" end would be either argue the 8 vs. 16 on other grounds or be willing to set a minimum W-L in order to qualify.

Do what some states do. Have to have a winning record . I am fine with that but some teams schedule easy to get wins then and avoid tough games. I never liked the harbin system when many awesome teams from the Youngstown era got screwed by it and never made playoffs at 9-1 or 10-0. I have always been a fan of Districts like Texas does where the winner and runner up of a 5-7 team district make playoffs. You play head to head with similar size teams in same division.

Correct. Being in the playoffs should be a reward for your reg season performance, it shouldn’t be essentially automatic for everyone

Do what some states do. Have to have a winning record . I am fine with that but some teams schedule easy to get wins then and avoid tough games. I never liked the harbin system when many awesome teams from the Youngstown era got screwed by it and never made playoffs at 9-1 or 10-0. I have always been a fan of Districts like Texas does where the winner and runner up of a 5-7 team district make playoffs. You play head to head with similar size teams in same division.
I guess 3-7 Little Miami had no business playing Xenia. Now they are 4-7 should they be allowed to play next week?

There were 111 running clocks at game end last night.

almost 50% of all games played.

horrible horrible horrible

Oh wonderful let's play one more game so we can get mercy clocked one more time

Life is hard enough We don't need small people trying to make it harder.

D5 R14 had 7 mercy clock games tied with D6 R23 for most running clocks in any region. 7 of 8 matchups were running clocks.

D6 had the most in any division at 19

D1 had the least at 11

D7 had 18

d2 16

D3 14

d4 16

d5 17

111 out of 224 matchups nearly 50% 49.5555 %

Clearly too many games

The only way for something to be valuable is if you have to actually work hard and earn it. Just handing out to 16 or 17 teams means its worthless. Add more teams or cut the number to make it something other than ludicrous. Sad but true. Now get off of my lawn. Old school
The old way was more meaningful and something to look forward to as a fan. Just like Sat. night D-1 Playoffs and multiple games and venues to attend on Friday and Sat night. But change doesn't always guarantee an improvement. Look at this week as a way to weed out the imposters. The playoffs start next week.

Agree. It’s almost like Indiana and some other states where everyone makes it. You’ve got regions with 18 teams. I don’t know about earning a playoff spot with 16 making it per region. I’m sorry, 2-8, 3-7 should in no way be competing in the playoffs. It used to be 4 then 8. I think 8 is the perfect number. Teams earn it!!

It already happened. New Bremen won state in 2020 when they would have missed the playoffs entirely had the field not been expanded. They would have been an 11 seed in computer points.
Exactly the point. It was needed in 2020 due to Covid. In 2020 how many teams played a complete schedule? Very few if any. Now that we are back to full 10 game schduled. This expanded playoffs including teams with losing records is a OHSAA money grab.

The only people I hear complaining about how many make the playoffs are the people not playing....I have NEVER heard a kid, parent or coach complain about making the playoffs. They bust their for this chance and I guarantee you there are ALOT of teams that would love to have 1 more week of football even if it's against Ed's, hoban, Massillon or whoever. For some it's years of work and they finally accomplished something their dad or brother didn't do in the past....just accept it and let the kids enjoy 1 more game. Never know...maybe some of the shock the state even
I maintain most would not want to play such a game, but there's a societal pressure not to say it.

D5 R14 had 7 mercy clock games tied with D6 R23 for most running clocks in any region. 7 of 8 matchups were running clocks.

D6 had the most in any division at 19

D1 had the least at 11

D7 had 18

d2 16

D3 14

d4 16

d5 17

111 out of 224 matchups nearly 50% 49.5555 %

Clearly too many games
Nobody wants to see 50% running clocks in the playoffs, and that's good evidence that 16 teams per region are too many.

At the same time, about 1/4 of the games by my count of 46 last night were upsets with a 9-16 seed beating a 1-8 seed. That tells me the Harbin system is far from perfect at picking the top 8, especially among the #5-#12 seeds. I'd bet that the Harbin system is better at getting the top 4 than it is the top 8.

To which some will say "so what?" I get it. How many #9 - #16 seeds according to Harbins were going to win a Region anyway. Probably not many if any. But, when you let 16 in, there's virtually 0% chance of missing the eventual state champion which leads me to be OK with 16 unless we're willing to go 12 and give the first 4 a bye.

I attended the #7 Buckeye - #10 Padua game last night, and Padua was a holding call away from putting a running clock on Buckeye Had Padua at 5-5 been excluded, it wouldn't be the end of the world. Drew Pasteur, however, ranks Padua #4 in this Region which says his math gives them a very viable shot of winning the Region. According to Pasteur, Padua had the 8th most difficult schedule in the entire state in D3. My point is that his logic appears to do a better job of predicting winners due to SoS than Harbin Points.

If we drop to 8, I'd expect Padua to drop D2 NoRo, D2 Maple Hts., and/or D3 stud Ursuline to fill in with an easier opponent. Retaining 16 teams reduces the incentives for ADs to avoid tough schedules. That's the appealing part of 16 team playoffs (except for D1 where 16 of 17 is ludicrous).

So, my first suggestion would be to drop the Harbin system, use Pasteur's logic, and go to 8. If we have to stick with Harbins, then I'd suggest just the Top 4 or Top 16 except in smaller D1 because it doesn't do a good job separating those in the middle.

So, my first suggestion would be to drop the Harbin system, use Pasteur's logic, and go to 8. If we have to stick with Harbins, then I'd suggest just the Top 4 or Top 16 except in smaller D1 because it doesn't do a good job separating those in the middle.
Never going to happen, any system that the point differential of a game matters will never be adopted as it inherently incentivizes running up the score.

About 35% of the first round games in the previous format were running clocks, it’s not like we had a ton of nail biters. 9 and 10 seeds had winning records last night, while 13 seeds won 33% of their games.

Another way to look at it. Over 20% of the teams that are playing in the regional quarter finals this year would not have made the regional quarter finals if only 8 teams made the playoffs.

Chance to what? Get destroyed one last time?

Neither side benefits from these games.

Let the competitive teams battle it out and the uncompetitive start prep for winter sports.
At least one home team got destroyed last night that I saw. Should we go to 2 teams a region or no?

The difference being, in every other sport you don't get dead if you are severely over matched. Soccer? Big deal. Some dude kicks a few more balls into your net than you would usually allow. Baseball? Same. Basketball? Same.

Football? You have teams in D7 with less than 20 players going against the Marion Locals and Kirtlands of the world.
Maybe we need a multiplier for state championships. Meaning kirkland and ml should NOT play lower division teams.

Nobody wants to see 50% running clocks in the playoffs, and that's good evidence that 16 teams per region are too many.

At the same time, about 1/4 of the games by my count of 46 last night were upsets with a 9-16 seed beating a 1-8 seed. That tells me the Harbin system is far from perfect at picking the top 8, especially among the #5-#12 seeds. I'd bet that the Harbin system is better at getting the top 4 than it is the top 8.

To which some will say "so what?" I get it. How many #9 - #16 seeds according to Harbins were going to win a Region anyway. Probably not many if any. But, when you let 16 in, there's virtually 0% chance of missing the eventual state champion which leads me to be OK with 16 unless we're willing to go 12 and give the first 4 a bye.

I attended the #7 Buckeye - #10 Padua game last night, and Padua was a holding call away from putting a running clock on Buckeye Had Padua at 5-5 been excluded, it wouldn't be the end of the world. Drew Pasteur, however, ranks Padua #4 in this Region which says his math gives them a very viable shot of winning the Region. According to Pasteur, Padua had the 8th most difficult schedule in the entire state in D3. My point is that his logic appears to do a better job of predicting winners due to SoS than Harbin Points.

If we drop to 8, I'd expect Padua to drop D2 NoRo, D2 Maple Hts., and/or D3 stud Ursuline to fill in with an easier opponent. Retaining 16 teams reduces the incentives for ADs to avoid tough schedules. That's the appealing part of 16 team playoffs (except for D1 where 16 of 17 is ludicrous).

the entire "playoffs" scenario is pure exploitation of high school kids to put their lives and health on the line for a lot of media companies to rake in $$$ while the talent on the field providing the entertainment value gets nothing out of it.

well that goes for the entire season. taxpayers put the talent on the field, pay for the stadiums, pay for the development of the talent over a 12 year time period, pay for everything, and media companies feast on the product selling it to advertisers but don't kick back a dime to the public schools producing the show.

and lets not talk about the injuries and medical costs that get shoved onto the parents healthcare insurance.

lets not talk about that and the secrecy maintained by football coaches regarding medical interventions to keep a kid on the field.

we don't even want to talk about that stuff now do we.

and for what? a cheap OHSAA trophy with a green plastic faceplate and 30 minutes to whoop it up on the field after the game, then get your asses back on the bus and get the F out of here.

I wonder how many kids got racked up last night?

How many kids got injured, on their delusional "must put on a good show" even though we know we have no chance to win this tournament?

as far as I'm concerned the OHSAA should be charged with child abuse and child endangerment.

I wonder how many kids got racked up last night?

How many kids got injured, on their delusional "must put on a good show" even though we know we have no chance to win this tournament?

as far as I'm concerned the OHSAA should be charged with child abuse and child endangerment.
What a ridiculous comment. Truly.