Wayne County Athletic League

Why is Hillsdale in this league ? They aren’t even in Wayne County. Then there is Triway that has a similar male enrollment as some in WCAL but they are not in the league, but they are in the county. Orrville should be in Wayne County Athletic League as well. It seems too obvious here ...

Triway was in the league until 1970 and apparently was too big for the rest of the league. Hillsdale replaced Triway. It was previously in the Firelands Conference (too far north?). All the other conferences in Hillsdale's size required more travel than the WCAL (45 minutes to Doylestown is the maximum travel time). I grew up in Wayne County and have followed the league for decades. Orrville had been even bigger than Triway although it plays some of the league schools.

Triway was in the league until 1970 and apparently was too big for the rest of the league. Hillsdale replaced Triway. It was previously in the Firelands Conference (too far north?). All the other conferences in Hillsdale's size required more travel than the WCAL (45 minutes to Doylestown is the maximum travel time). I grew up in Wayne County and have followed the league for decades. Orrville had been even bigger than Triway although it plays some of the league schools.

^^^^^^^^
If memory serves, that's the last time the WCAL experienced a change in league membership of any kind. That's as stable as it gets for Ohio HS athletic leagues.

Orrville would dominate that league. They already have two D-5 teams with Northwestern and I'm sure the smaller schools like Hillsdale, Smithville, Rittman and Dalton would object. Triway seems happy where they are at. You also have to take in consideration girls sports as well. Those enrollments are different.

Since we got that out of the way... How do we think the league will play out in 2019?

I’m not so sure about Norwayne, they are traditionally very good. Dalton probably has the most returning starters back from last year, including their QB, RB WR and a host of others up front. They played a lot of underclassmen last season.

I think the WCAL will be decided on September 27 in Creston. Hillsdale and Norwayne played overtime last season with the Bobcats winning. The rest of the league appears to be a mess.