VASJ Vikings Basketball 2021-22 Season Official Thread

C'Town216

Basketball season is rapidly approaching, with football taking on Glenville in the 2nd round of the playoffs, basketball will likely be without a handful of players that play football as well. Ashen Ward is going into his 2nd year as the head coach for the Vikings as he continues to develop and rebuild the basketball program back into contenders in a few seasons. Below is the basketball schedule for this upcoming season. The Vikings will play host to Lake Catholic on opening night on December 3rd.
6C44EA54-5F58-457C-98D2-37AD91DABABE.jpeg

Thank you for posting. Any word on how the team looks? Should we expect a step forward from last year?

From talking with Ash at the CVCA football game, they got some talent coming up but still going to be some growing pains that will be obvious. I think they will have an improved record compared to last year, I’m curious to see how they look.

Before the season tips off, I wanted to lay down some ground rules because I know the trolls will be lurking.

1. Keep the subject on VASJ’s basketball team and their opponents that they are facing off against

2. DO NOT talk about anything football related regarding the coach or any transfers. Discuss that in another thread.

Thank you and Go Vikings!

VASJ and Collinwood not playing? I wonder why. That would be a nice neighborhood matchup. Collinwood's usually pretty good in hoops

VASJ and Collinwood not playing? I wonder why. That would be a nice neighborhood matchup. Collinwood's usually pretty good in hoops
They haven’t played each other in years actually. Hasn’t been since Woj was the coach.

Final from the Palace,

VASJ 55
Lake Catholic 37

Vikings start the year off 1-0, will be back in action against St. Ed’s from the Nest tomorrow night.

Things are back to the way they should be - Joe's over Fake Catholic. Vikings are still a work in progress but there is talent in the program. I thought all 3 teams looked good. The future is bright in Viking Village. Very tough one on Saturday - Ed's will more then likely be celebrating a Football State Championship and should win by about 25 or so but Ash has the rebuild well underway.

I saw the clown show Rotsky in attendance last night. How many football games do you have scheduled next season? I feel bad for the VASJ faithful who believe in this guy. It will all end badly like it always does with him.

As for hoops, the talent at VASJ is no where near what it was with Babe John there. You guys were down at halftime and up 4 points going into the 4th. LC has not 1 senior on this team.

Lastly, the updates for the school really need to happen. They had to open doors behind the stands last night because it was 100 degrees in that gym. The school is falling apart, not to mention the bums hanging around the entrance of the school when leaving.

Sorry ctown, but keep your boy in check and we can talk hoops.

I saw the clown show Rotsky in attendance last night. How many football games do you have scheduled next season? I feel bad for the VASJ faithful who believe in this guy. It will all end badly like it always does with him.

As for hoops, the talent at VASJ is no where near what it was with Babe John there. You guys were down at halftime and up 4 points going into the 4th. LC has not 1 senior on this team.

Lastly, the updates for the school really need to happen. They had to open doors behind the stands last night because it was 100 degrees in that gym. The school is falling apart, not to mention the bums hanging around the entrance of the school when leaving.

Lake Catholic is closing. You got smoked in football and basketball. Lake Catholic is closing.

Last edited:
I think Fake has more problems then VASJ does. The school has had a huge influx of money and plans on getting new windows, a new rear entrance with atrium and AIR CONDITIONING. They are looking to get a turf field behind the school and have a new Stem Lab going in. That is after the class of 70 installed a new music room. The locker rooms are being redone as well. As you can see there is an investment going on at Joe's. The same cannot be said for Fake. The enrollment is dropping and the reputation is not very good. I dont hear or see any improvements at Fake.

As for hoops - Ash is finally getting it going after a lost season last year. Covid was brutal on VASJ last year because it was the first year post Babe. Some kids left and some did not play. Also Ash was unable to get out and see potential Vikings play CYO and Junior High. Big difference is skill level and intensity last night. VASJ swept all 3 games and the young talent and height is starting to be collected again. It will take a few seasons possibly - but they are on the right track. I was not happy to not see the blazers and matching basketball shoes - I hope that returns.

Tell you the truth, the building will be upgraded here in the next couple of years as the school has accumulated their funds to upgrade the building. As BBall said, new HVAC system being added to replace the boilers, new windows, new atrium rear entrance, upgraded classrooms, new stem labs, upgraded locker rooms. VASJ is just fine and will be in the future. In fact they’re at 98% of their goal. I have several friends who graduated from Lake who have nothing but bad things to say with how their school is not what it used to be and headed down the wrong path.

I highly encourage you to check out the Keeping our Promise campaign. The support is there to keep the school going for years.

Last edited:
Pretty much the outcome many expected against perennial power St.Ed's. The Vikings need to play these kind of games if they want to get better and return to their past glory.

As mentioned, I think the team will be better compared to last season. We will still have to see the growing pains of a young and inexperienced team. By the end of the season, hopefully see some glimmers into the next couple of seasons.

All sports suspended two weeks and school cancelled. There has been a Covid outbreak especially in the underclassmen. Basketball had a horrible Covid situation last year as well.