Vanguard

WEARESTXWERE#1

This fan thinks Vanguard should be stripped of their OVR status, since they are skipping the OVR championships this weekend. Any thoughts?

This would also be the case with the teams from Phoenix. Appears both clubs are sending their top teams to the qualifier and the lower teams to OVR's. To me, it makes sense for the top teams to go to a qualifier. Better competition. It's not the OVR's fault...

I could see how people would be upset about this move. I also see how the OVR could be ok with this decision. They have teams from their region competing in a national qualifier. Best of luck to all teams.

I strongly disagree. The OVR Championships really don't mean anything and it is the OVR's fault for scheduling the championships the same weekend as a bid tournament. Phoenix and Vanguard should not be stripped of their OVR status.

This doesn't make any sense. Why would you punish Vanguard/Phoenix for missing this year's tournament, but not the handful of teams that no-showed the championships 2 years ago during that winter storm??

I think the OVR should just be thankful they have a club of Vanguard's caliber in their region. They basically got a bid in California and this year have the best club team in Ohio history.

The OVR tournament used to mean bragging rights between Vanguard and Cinci Attack for best club in Ohio, too bad we will never know this year. Unless they play each other in the Club division of nationals again this summer...

This fan thinks Vanguard should be stripped of their OVR status, since they are skipping the OVR championships this weekend. Any thoughts?

It doesn't really matter what you or anyone thinks. There's really only one person whose opinion matters on this case. Go ahead and ask him what he thinks - I've included his contact info below.

Bob Price

rwprice23@att.net
614‑402‑9449 mobile
614‑882‑2468 work

This might be the dumbest thread in the history of Yappi...

(dumbest post goes to all the Talbot obsession from Darby boy)

Vanguard should be stripped of OVR status forsure, ridiculous for them to be skipping the tourney. need to be taught a lesson

It doesn't really matter what you or anyone thinks. There's really only one person whose opinion matters on this case. Go ahead and ask him what he thinks - I've included his contact info below.

Bob Price

rwprice23@att.net
614‑402‑9449 mobile
614‑882‑2468 work

Shouldnt be putting other ppl's personal contact info online IMO

I strongly disagree. The OVR Championships really don't mean anything and it is the OVR's fault for scheduling the championships the same weekend as a bid tournament. Phoenix and Vanguard should not be stripped of their OVR status.

Agree here, why were the OVR Championships so late this year? Was it the way the weekends fell in the month of Feb?

This doesn't make any sense. Why would you punish Vanguard/Phoenix for missing this year's tournament, but not the handful of teams that no-showed the championships 2 years ago during that winter storm??

Really? You want to punish clubs because the weather was bad? It was bad enough that the OVRs were held in what amounted to a barn in a cornfield in the middle of nowhere, but then there was a winter storm to boot?

The two scenarios are completely different: Choosing to skip to play in a bid tournament vs. choosing to skip because the weather is so bad you're afraid for people's safety in getting there.

What about Air City? The whole club quit a couple weeks earlier than everyone. None of their teams at OVR or Harrisburg. Have to wonder what is going on there as well

Why the Vanguard hate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because they're not the only quality club team in Ohio. It seems a lot of their players/coaches/parents are on here and it doesn't do them any favors tooting their own horn.

IMO both groups (Central Ohio/Vanguard & Cincinnati/Attack) are very arrogant. Both groups think they are elite. After being around the sport for many years and watching both groups, this is my observation. Vanguard seems to produce the better athletes overall. The coaches must do a respectable job of training as evidenced by the recent number of boys playing at the next level. However, I will say that they lack game management skills - players and coaches. The Cincinnati programs do produce solid volleyball players, but not always as athletic. However, the coaches are far superior in getting the most out of their players and getting them to play together as a team. It is just my opinion, but whenever Central Ohio/Vanguard plays Cincinnati/Attack in a close match, Cincy will usually come out ahead (coaching? motivation? attitude?).

Interesting take. Both groups think they are elite? Is that referring to the coaches, program directors, players, or kids/people on Yappi? Don't think either has a claim as an elite club at the National level, or even with regards to the Midwest.

I think your last sentence could be debated quite a bit. Is it better in-game coaching, is it the mentality of the players (Attack typically X, Moe, Elder players used to playing for state championships and being top dog in Ohio. Vanguard has Darby players who are also used to big games, but also have players from much smaller schools not used to the intensity?) Could go a couple of different routes with that argument

Interesting take. Both groups think they are elite? Is that referring to the coaches, program directors, players, or kids/people on Yappi? Don't think either has a claim as an elite club at the National level, or even with regards to the Midwest.

I think your last sentence could be debated quite a bit. Is it better in-game coaching, is it the mentality of the players (Attack typically X, Moe, Elder players used to playing for state championships and being top dog in Ohio. Vanguard has Darby players who are also used to big games, but also have players from much smaller schools not used to the intensity?) Could go a couple of different routes with that argument

Completely agree.