Vanderbilt kicker Sarah Fuller named SEC special teams co-player of the week

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Vanderbilt kicker Sarah Fuller, the first woman to play in a Power Five college football game, was named SEC special teams co-player of the week by the conference office Monday.

She shared the award with Florida's Kadarius Toney, who returned a punt 50 yards for a touchdown in the Gators' 34-10 win over Kentucky.

Each school nominates players for the weekly awards, and the SEC office chooses the recipients.

As a former business owner, I always wanted to hire the best available for a position, regardless of gender, race, religion, or whatever. Just wanted the best no matter what. That being said, I would think that there were other options that could have done a better job....already on the team. The whole half-time locker room speech....you should be embarrassed if you are a Vandy football player. She seems to be embracing her fame.

I'm all in for equality, like I said, hire the best available no matter what. Speaking of equality....all the players on the Vandy football roster have their weights listed....except one....any guesses which player has no weight listed? So much for equality. Not equal when it is selective.

The award was given, not taken. None of this goes on the player. If someone gives you an opportunity, take it. So I don't fault her for taking it or embracing it. In perspective? Yeah I think it's demeaning to Butler, Hninda and others. A pooch kick where you are in no danger of needing to make a post kick play? Notorized because it was a barely P5 school? That's unfairness, imo. But none of that goes on the player.

For anyone who's followed the SEC over the years...player of the week awards rarely have to do with actual performance on the field. The "feel good" story wins weekly for their spot. I wasn't surprised she won. A couple weeks ago she was a Vanderbilt soccer player who really never expected to be a Vanderbilt kicker. But in these strange times the opportunity was presented and she took it. For all the...couldn't someone else of done it..possibly. For reasons we don't know, that decision was made. Maybe the team boycotted by not getting in position to at least attempt a desperation field goal.

People are completely nuts for blowing this up in any negative light.

Sarah got a chance to kick one ball after a few days of practice and prep but lets all rush to judge this and throw around broad statements about her ability or better yet gender equality. I have seen clips of her kicking the ball the length of a soccer field as a goalie and that will translate to football.

If you say it is so easy to kick- then go out there and kick- get a scholarship, get a free education from a power 5 school or better yet go out there an get paid to do it.

If you say its about publicity because a girl cannot kick - you are equally nuts. There was a girl in canfield that just went 5/5 fg and kicked @ 50 point afters. If you dig up her name from a stat sheet I bet you can find her name on some all district, conference lists and its not because of publicity - its she did the job.

Sarah got a chance to kick one ball after a few days of practice and prep but lets all rush to judge this and throw around broad statements about her ability or better yet gender equality. I have seen clips of her kicking the ball the length of a soccer field as a goalie and that will translate to football.

If you say it is so easy to kick- then go out there and kick- get a scholarship, get a free education from a power 5 school or better yet go out there an get paid to do it.

If you say its about publicity because a girl cannot kick - you are equally nuts. There was a girl in canfield that just went 5/5 fg and kicked @ 50 point afters. If you dig up her name from a stat sheet I bet you can find her name on some all district, conference lists and its not because of publicity - its she did the job.
There’s girls that can kick, she’s not one of them. And I really didn’t care at all until the media kept telling us it was historic & ground breaking. Then you also hear stories of her ripping the team at Halftime & it just pissed me off. That’s also not to mention the Vandy Kicker from last yr is available and has eligibility. He’s currently in Med School, but still on campus

I’ll go a step further and say Holly Mangold playing DL at Alter 15+ years ago is infinitely more impressive than a girl Kicking in College.
That was real, no beef with her. Her brothers trained her. I wish we would get rid of the titles men and women's sports. One sport of equal opportunities. We're all equal and let's act like it.

I can’t tell if you’re joking, but Holly Mangold is far & away the exception. Wasn’t she an Olympic weight lifter? Either way, she deserves more respect for playing DL, even at the HS level, than girls who kick in college.

I can’t tell if you’re joking, but Holly Mangold is far & away the exception. Wasn’t she an Olympic weight lifter? Either way, she deserves more respect for playing DL, even at the HS level, than girls who kick in college.
I know the story and her specific abilities. I liked her story.

Which one is the more successful of the two national teams?
It helps when you’re competing against countries that barely give women the right to play sports. I guess the USA isn’t as sexist as the media says

It helps when you’re competing against countries that barely give women the right to play sports. I guess the USA isn’t as sexist as the media says
What’s the mens’ team’s excuse? Have only made it past the Round of 16 once, and that was in 1930. They didn’t make the last World Cup because they went 0-2 versus Costa Rica.

What’s the mens’ team’s excuse? Have only made it past the Round of 16 once, and that was in 1930. They didn’t make the last World Cup because they went 0-2 versus Costa Rica.
Soccer isn’t important for men in the US, never will be. And that’s a good thing.

Maybe if the girls were on the Men's team they'd be able to actually qualify for the World Cup
Lol not a single woman would make the men's team. Pull up the track times in the individual events. Pole vault,discus,shot put, javelin,high jump. Make everything one sport. Get rid of titles, no women or men. We're all equally equipped. Basketball any one?