Valley view looking for a new coach

So going back through these posts and looking at things rationally (which seems like a hard thing to do for the Valley View community right now)

The top 3 candidates that the posters on this thread wanted were: Stidham, Niswonger, and King

Stidham was let go from his assistant football and head boys basketball job by the publicly elected board due to, for the sake of being politically correct, being a poor role model for the kids. You can argue that there were agendas and blah, blah, blah, but the people that were elected by the community thought there was enough evidence to remove him from BOTH spots.

Niswonger who was ultra successful in the mid 90s, winning 4 state titles with the last one in 97 (if I remember correctly), which is 25 YEARS AGO (making those seniors 42-43 years old). Got let go in the early 2000s because he wasn't winning and had gone off the reservation. Bounced around and never stuck. Most recently was the OC at Beavercreek where the team went 0-10, scored 68 total points ALL SEASON, and never scored 20 points in a game ALL SEASON. Seems that he didn't adjust to game as time has gone by.

For the last candidate, I'll quote from an earlier post that was made to why the latest coach was let go... "Had nothing to do with scouting reports we have to much talent to go 5-6 leading at half in 5 of the 6 losses. Make no adjustments during the game or at halftime and got outscored 69-7 in the second half of the last three games." King was the DC correct? Isn't he directly responsible for the unit allowing those teams to score those 69 points?! Did he not make any halftime adjustments? Will he now since he's the new Head Coach? How is that a reflection on the latest coach besides the fact he kept him at DC?

These are the best candidates of the 50-60 applicants that were reported to apply? Or is this guy being set up for failure like the last coach was in hopes to get the old regime back? Hopefully the Valley View community is happy with this hire

So going back through these posts and looking at things rationally (which seems like a hard thing to do for the Valley View community right now)

The top 3 candidates that the posters on this thread wanted were: Stidham, Niswonger, and King

Stidham was let go from his assistant football and head boys basketball job by the publicly elected board due to, for the sake of being politically correct, being a poor role model for the kids. You can argue that there were agendas and blah, blah, blah, but the people that were elected by the community thought there was enough evidence to remove him from BOTH spots.

Niswonger who was ultra successful in the mid 90s, winning 4 state titles with the last one in 97 (if I remember correctly), which is 25 YEARS AGO (making those seniors 42-43 years old). Got let go in the early 2000s because he wasn't winning and had gone off the reservation. Bounced around and never stuck. Most recently was the OC at Beavercreek where the team went 0-10, scored 68 total points ALL SEASON, and never scored 20 points in a game ALL SEASON. Seems that he didn't adjust to game as time has gone by.

For the last candidate, I'll quote from an earlier post that was made to why the latest coach was let go... "Had nothing to do with scouting reports we have to much talent to go 5-6 leading at half in 5 of the 6 losses. Make no adjustments during the game or at halftime and got outscored 69-7 in the second half of the last three games." King was the DC correct? Isn't he directly responsible for the unit allowing those teams to score those 69 points?! Did he not make any halftime adjustments? Will he now since he's the new Head Coach? How is that a reflection on the latest coach besides the fact he kept him at DC?

These are the best candidates of the 50-60 applicants that were reported to apply? Or is this guy being set up for failure like the last coach was in hopes to get the old regime back? Hopefully the Valley View community is happy with this hire
Do we know if the AD put in for the job? I thought I remember someone mentioning him early on, but I haven't seen much talk about him. If he put in for the job, you would think that he would be a serious candidate as well...

Ki

King wasn’t DC

Matt King was an assistant at Bellefontaine for several years. My son was in Pee Wee at the time but I heard nothing but good things about him as a person. Can’t speak to the Xs and Os. Congrats to him and good luck to Valley View.

Which coach left for Monroe in the 80s from VV? Maybe I misunderstood but was it Buddy Moore? He was Monroe’s coach in 81-84 Took Monroe to it’s first State Semi final in 83 won the MML title in 83/84

Wrong about Niswonger he was never let go. He left on his own after the 2011 season. He left to become the OC for Wilmington College and was actually the Interim HC for WC his first and only year there

Last edited:
Which coach left for Monroe in the 80s from VV? Maybe I misunderstood but was it Buddy Moore? He was Monroe’s coach in 81-84 Took Monroe to it’s first State Semi final in 83 won the MML title in 83/84

Brent Nance was the VV coach.

Ok I recognize that name. He was Monroe’s coach 85-88. Won MML 85/86 taking us to the playoffs in 86 the second round getting hammered by eventual State Champ Purcell Marion.

Wyld Stallions
Why the dig at the VV community ? they can’t think rationally?
It was explained on here Stidham and Co we’re done unjustly . That’s why the BOE flipped … the prior BOE DID NOT have the support of the community . I thought this was explained ? It was handled so wrong they had to open the HC position back up and restore faith in the process and community .
the Ken Moyer camp isn’t happy and I for one don’t care . Ken Moyer new what was happening , how it was happening and was warned that he was walking into a trap set up by the superintendent and his crony BOE members but took the job anyway knowing a great man in Bob Skidmore just got screwed over .

so yeah there’s that

Also
Niswonger got an interview and is beloved by some because he
-won 243 games in 28 yrs at VV
-11 SWBL titles
-16 playoff appearances (12in a row)
-7 State semis
-3 State Championships

Valley View won back to back SWBL titles in ‘82 and ‘83. Went 9-1 in ‘82 with the only loss being 7-0 to Springboro, who finished undefeated. They went 8-2 in ‘83. After that the coach left for Monroe and Jay was hired. I think but can’t recall that he had losing records his first two years but was above .500 after that. Not great but not pretty bad as you said they were.
I'm say this until the day I die, if Milton had not left the SWBL in 82, Valley View wouldn't have won those titles. Period. Niswonger ushered in the success that Valley View had. Classes of 83-85 at MU never lost to Valley View at any level. We left the SWBL because we dominated it and finished undefeated, but no playoffs. Playing Versailles, Springfield Catholic, Tipp, Miami East and Covington back then was much better for MU where playoff points were concerned. Valley Views greatest season, they couldn't take down Versailles.

I'm say this until the day I die, if Milton had not left the SWBL in 82, Valley View wouldn't have won those titles. Period. Niswonger ushered in the success that Valley View had. Classes of 83-85 at MU never lost to Valley View at any level. We left the SWBL because we dominated it and finished undefeated, but no playoffs. Playing Versailles, Springfield Catholic, Tipp, Miami East and Covington back then was much better for MU where playoff points were concerned. Valley Views greatest season, they couldn't take down Versailles.
Whole heartedly disagree .
Niswonger took over in 1984 …
It’s great to have pride and I’ll respect anyones opinion but that’s just a horrible statement . Moving out of the SWBL in the 80s had ZERO to do with 94-96-97 State Championships . You could butterfly effect it all you want but dang ! Versailles was the only program in Ohio with a better winning percentage than VV in The 90s so they deserve their props .

Where’s Milton Union now ? In a league far inferior to the SWBL … sad but true
Too bad the SWBL didn't have the foresight to see this would have to happen. If they had done this 3 years ago, MU would probably still be there.

The TRC is better than the old SWBL Buckeye division (or very similar with better travel and bigger gates for MU). But replacing Northridge, Dixie, MU, and Preble with Valley View, Oakwood. Brookville, and Eaton definitely makes the "small" division of the new SWBL better.

Too bad the SWBL didn't have the foresight to see this would have to happen. If they had done this 3 years ago, MU would probably still be there.

The TRC is better than the old SWBL Buckeye division (or very similar with better travel and bigger gates for MU). But replacing Northridge, Dixie, MU, and Preble with Valley View, Oakwood. Brookville, and Eaton definitely makes the "small" division of the new SWBL better.
Yeah I agree , the old small side wasn’t awesome for those reasons but you could still cross over and get great games against bigger schools for good points if you wanted . I personally don’t like it that MU, Dixie and PS left . Northridge didn’t bother me .

Yeah I agree , the old small side wasn’t awesome for those reasons but you could still cross over and get great games against bigger schools for good points if you wanted . I personally don’t like it that MU, Dixie and PS left . Northridge didn’t bother me .
probably why 2 of MU's out of conference games are Valley View and Oakwood.

Congrats to Coach King. I don't know him personally, but I've heard nothing but great things about him in past seasons, and with this hire.

This is a ridiculous statement to make. I believe VV could have beat Versailles all three years they won state titles. The VV team of ‘82 was very, very good. They gave up 16 points the entire season. They had a great QB. Too try to take those accomplishments away from VV just shows the jealousy we all know you have for VV.