Valley view looking for a new coach

Well, the coaches they ran off in the first place had DEEP VV connections, so at this point I'm not sure that even matters. What's going on at VV has ruined many really good programs and I hate to see this happening. I've always been a fan of what they do there and hope they right the ship. NO ONE should lose their job after one year based off of wins and loses, especially when they walked in to the situation Moyer walked in to. I followed a lot of the post on here during the season and several of those late loses were guys being in the right place and not making the plays or some type of fluke play won it. It's sad to see such a proud program with great tradition being so petty.
Valley View folks need to remember that they were pretty bad before the outsider, Niswonger, came along. It took him several years before he produced a state championship team. Prior to 1990, I think they only had 1 decent team and that was in 1982?
I'd take a serious look at your pride and realize that it was a Greenville grad that made you relevant and it will likely be an outsider that makes you relevant again.

Until Skidmore took over in 2016 the last time VV had a really good team was 2005 when we Monroe beat them 35-21 in the Region 16 Division 4 final at Princeton. My personal opinion. Fun game to watch. Josh Herron took the opening kickoff all the way down the field for the first score. First Regional title for the Hornets since 1983. Best season ever. VVs 2013 team was pretty good.

Not all of them are current HC’s. I know of about 10-11 former assistants/players from VV that have applied
Jay Niswonger
Butch Stidham
Matt King
Schooley(former assistant now at Miamisburg)
Those are the only people with VV ties that applied that I’m aware of .
Keating will be staying at Tri-Village with his QB Son who played great for a sophomore missing his freshman year with a broken collarbone. Check his numbers out btw , very impressive for never starting at QB at any level till this past season .
I’m curious you say 10/11 former players or coaches ? I can’t think of anyone else with those kind of ties besides maybe Ketron .

also there’s been discussion on here about Skid and coaching . He’s not giving up his BOE seat . That’s why if they hire from “within” he no doubt will VOLUNTEER his time to a program he’s 34 years invested into . Nothing says he can’t volunteer , just can’t be paid by the district .

All the people not associated with this school are quick to point out that VV wasn’t anything before 1990. You guys do realize that was 32 years ago? So what if an outside hire is what put VV on the map. It’s the ties within the school and the community NOW that have held it together and rebuilt from the fallout at the end of Jay’s tenure. There is nothing wrong with communities that have some pride. Especially when the best candidates are the ones that are currently here. VV doesn’t need an outside hire to get back to being relevant. Skid had VV back to competing for regional championships within 2 years of taking over a program that was struggling for 3-4 years. As longs as the kids trust the man they’re playing for this school will always have the talent to compete in division 4. I know a lot of people think VV is some entitled Texas sized ego town that is living in the past, but this school still has had more playoff success the last 4 years than anyone else in the league. (Madison’s magical run notwithstanding). VVs #s were way down last season because even the kids who are 15-17 years old felt betrayed by what happened to coach Skid. If King is HC next season (by all accounts he most likely will be) VVs #s will climb and I’d venture to guess VV is right back to where they were before this all went down.

All the people not associated with this school are quick to point out that VV wasn’t anything before 1990. You guys do realize that was 32 years ago? So what if an outside hire is what put VV on the map. It’s the ties within the school and the community NOW that have held it together and rebuilt from the fallout at the end of Jay’s tenure. There is nothing wrong with communities that have some pride. Especially when the best candidates are the ones that are currently here. VV doesn’t need an outside hire to get back to being relevant. Skid had VV back to competing for regional championships within 2 years of taking over a program that was struggling for 3-4 years. As longs as the kids trust the man they’re playing for this school will always have the talent to compete in division 4. I know a lot of people think VV is some entitled Texas sized ego town that is living in the past, but this school still has had more playoff success the last 4 years than anyone else in the league. (Madison’s magical run notwithstanding). VVs #s were way down last season because even the kids who are 15-17 years old felt betrayed by what happened to coach Skid. If King is HC next season (by all accounts he most likely will be) VVs #s will climb and I’d venture to guess VV is right back to where they were before this all went down.
First of all if people on here would do their homework they would know that VV had a very strong football program in the 80's, with a lot of great players. And once again the head coach quit! Nothing happened to him. And yes their are a lot of these people are living in the past. And when Jay left most of the parents did not even want Coach Skidmore to be the head coach and made it well known. One way or another a good man was treated very badly for a situation that he had nothing to do with, and was never given a chance to try and make things work. Last seasons failures was just as much the communities as the coaching staffs for the negative way they handled the whole thing, very sad.

also there’s been discussion on here about Skid and coaching . He’s not giving up his BOE seat . That’s why if they hire from “within” he no doubt will VOLUNTEER his time to a program he’s 34 years invested into . Nothing says he can’t volunteer , just can’t be paid by the district .
If he volunteers with the football program he likely won’t be able to vote on football coaching or AD contracts.

Personally, I think there is a real struggle in the community at VV. Everyone can point fingers at one another. However, no matter how far they are removed from those state championships, they still live as though they were not long ago. There's a lot of tradition in football. There are high expectations. Sometimes those can be blessings, sometimes they can be a hinderance to moving forward as well. It's a difficult community, and football is a difficult sport, for someone that isn't an alumni to break into and have success. That's the part that I view that can be an issue at times. There are good football minds that can come from outside of those borders, but it's also very difficult to get that buy in from the community.

Due to that, and the past year plus of what's happened with their school board and coaching staff, I expect this to definitely be a VV guy. It'll be someone from the past like Coach Stidhman or possibly Coach Niswonger. I think Coach King has the potential to be a very nice hire, but he's not an alum. He was on the staff last season and has some rapport due to that. All I know is that the community wanted it's voice heard, they got their new board members, they had better get this coaching selection right this time around. There won't be anyone else to blame. There's been too much turmoil, too many coaching changes, etc. over the past few years. The kids deserve better from the adults.

I think that Coach Niswonger is the safest play. He's someone that will re-energize the community, he'll make the community happy, and he also has plenty of coaching experience in general and at the school. If it's not him, I would say King is next. I would probably recommend seeing Stidham as an assistant rather than the head guy, simply attempting to avoid any potential fallout from some of the previous issues. Even if that may not seem fair.

There is always value in someone having ties to the community, but I think it is more about fit than local ties. An "outsider" who shares in the mindset of toughness could come in and do very well in the VV community. That's where Moyer ultimately struggled. He doesn't match the community. He fit better with the private school folks at Dayton Christian. If VV is committed to making deep playoff runs, do they bring in someone who has had recent playoff success regardless of local ties?

I generally agree with your posts, but to be fair, Valley View's record against Franklin and Bellbrook alone the past 4 years is 1-7. That's with the one win coming this season over Franklin. During that same time frame we've seen Bellbrook in the Regional Final (2021), Eaton in the Regional Semi-Final (2021), Valley View Regional Semi-Finals Final (2020), Bellbrook Regional Semi-Finals, Valley View Regional Finals (2019), and Middletown Madison (State Semi-Finals (2018). I would say the league has been pretty spread out on playoff successes with Madison having the longest run.

I generally agree with your posts, but to be fair, Valley View's record against Franklin and Bellbrook alone the past 4 years is 1-7. That's with the one win coming this season over Franklin. During that same time frame we've seen Bellbrook in the Regional Final (2021), Eaton in the Regional Semi-Final (2021), Valley View Regional Semi-Finals Final (2020), Bellbrook Regional Semi-Finals, Valley View Regional Finals (2019), and Middletown Madison (State Semi-Finals (2018). I would say the league has been pretty spread out on playoff successes with Madison having the longest run.
I agree overall playoff success has definitely ticked up league wide the past few seasons, however going back from when Skidmoore was hired in 2016 there have been 6 seasons of football and VV is

T-1st in playoff appearances (5) (tied with Franklin)
T-1st in wins (6) (tied with Madison)
1st in total playoff games (11)

so overall I would say VV has enjoyed the most consistent playoff success in the league which is what my comment was trying to point out. Skid won instantly at VV and the next coach (King or Stidham) will most likely be able to get back to not only making the postseason but winning some games while there. Those two will have the luxury of having the players in their corner which is something I believe Moyer didn’t have.

I agree overall playoff success has definitely ticked up league wide the past few seasons, however going back from when Skidmoore was hired in 2016 there have been 6 seasons of football and VV is

T-1st in playoff appearances (5) (tied with Franklin)
T-1st in wins (6) (tied with Madison)
1st in total playoff games (11)

so overall I would say VV has enjoyed the most consistent playoff success in the league which is what my comment was trying to point out. Skid won instantly at VV and the next coach (King or Stidham) will most likely be able to get back to not only making the postseason but winning some games while there. Those two will have the luxury of having the players in their corner which is something I believe Moyer didn’t have.
Spot on , well said . Madison under Poff was a good program with 2 really good classes back to back . Poff knew what he had and knew what was coming .

That 2018-2020 class of athletes at Madison were as good as they get. I still think it was weird Wheelersburg was Region 20 that year for 1 year.

Valley View folks need to remember that they were pretty bad before the outsider, Niswonger, came along. It took him several years before he produced a state championship team. Prior to 1990, I think they only had 1 decent team and that was in 1982?
I'd take a serious look at your pride and realize that it was a Greenville grad that made you relevant and it will likely be an outsider that makes you relevant again.

Valley View won back to back SWBL titles in ‘82 and ‘83. Went 9-1 in ‘82 with the only loss being 7-0 to Springboro, who finished undefeated. They went 8-2 in ‘83. After that the coach left for Monroe and Jay was hired. I think but can’t recall that he had losing records his first two years but was above .500 after that. Not great but not pretty bad as you said they were.

Personally, I think there is a real struggle in the community at VV. Everyone can point fingers at one another. However, no matter how far they are removed from those state championships, they still live as though they were not long ago. There's a lot of tradition in football. There are high expectations. Sometimes those can be blessings, sometimes they can be a hinderance to moving forward as well. It's a difficult community, and football is a difficult sport, for someone that isn't an alumni to break into and have success. That's the part that I view that can be an issue at times. There are good football minds that can come from outside of those borders, but it's also very difficult to get that buy in from the community.

Due to that, and the past year plus of what's happened with their school board and coaching staff, I expect this to definitely be a VV guy. It'll be someone from the past like Coach Stidhman or possibly Coach Niswonger. I think Coach King has the potential to be a very nice hire, but he's not an alum. He was on the staff last season and has some rapport due to that. All I know is that the community wanted it's voice heard, they got their new board members, they had better get this coaching selection right this time around. There won't be anyone else to blame. There's been too much turmoil, too many coaching changes, etc. over the past few years. The kids deserve better from the adults.

I think that Coach Niswonger is the safest play. He's someone that will re-energize the community, he'll make the community happy, and he also has plenty of coaching experience in general and at the school. If it's not him, I would say King is next. I would probably recommend seeing Stidham as an assistant rather than the head guy, simply attempting to avoid any potential fallout from some of the previous issues. Even if that may not seem fair.

According to Twitter, King has been on the staff 7 years which means he came on when Skid became HC.

who was the coach years ago , that basically put VV on the map as one of the better schools in southwest ohio?

Madison had a chance to build off that but after Poff stepped down it went in the crapper!
They had a huge drop-off in talent. Historically, Madison has not been good at football. I view the few years they had as an anomaly, not the norm. I believe they only have around 10 winning seasons in school history and 4 or 5 of those came in the most recent successful stretch.