USFL playoffs in Canton

fbrox

Watching the playoff games now and can’t help but notice there were literally more people at the division VII game last year than are there for this pro football game. Whoever thought this was a good idea?

Ticket prices slashed to $7.50 and crowd looked like maybe 1,000 people.

150 Million+ for a stadium that sits almost empty 364 days a year.

363 When Massillon comes to town

Don’t worry though. Boys 2 men tells us people will be lining up to buy $100 steaks at Shulas in 5 weeks. Can’t wait

The location for this doesn’t matter.

The attendance would have been in the pits regardless if it was in Canton, Massillon, Stow, Strasburg or Orrville. Remember that this league played the entire regular season in Alabama, the fanbases are non-existent, the offenses are putrid and even the most football-savvy of fans would only recognize five guys (at most) across all eight rosters.

I’ve tried watching a game here or there buts it tough. If they could use this as a minor league for the NFL and play in smaller cities or non-NFL cities I believe this would be wildly popular. Trying to pass it off as pro football is absurd.

The location for this doesn’t matter.

The attendance would have been in the pits regardless if it was in Canton, Massillon, Stow, Strasburg or Orrville. Remember that this league played the entire regular season in Alabama, the fanbases are non-existent, the offenses are putrid and even the most football-savvy of fans would only recognize five guys (at most) across all eight rosters.
To be clear, I’m not faulting Canton or Stark County. I just think the league should not have opened up until it’s fan bases we’re able to host home games. The league office clearly dropped ball.

Ticket prices slashed to $7.50 and crowd looked like maybe 1,000 people.

150 Million+ for a stadium that sits almost empty 364 days a year.

363 When Massillon comes to town

Don’t worry though. Boys 2 men tells us people will be lining up to buy $100 steaks at Shulas in 5 weeks. Can’t wait
this is a pretty spot on post. Especially with the attendance. The attendance isn't even great at all the State Title games, and its a shame because its a beautiful facility.

Less young people interested in attending games, especially HS games anymore along with this not very good USFL product.

You think the NFL would ever host a regular season game there? I mean, San Diego played in a soccer stadium that held 27k for a year or two before SoFi was built.

As for the $100 steaks at Shula's. Shula's and the crew behind this project don't want the average Joe to be in these places and have to mingle with them.

This is being built for one week a year and then to host company gatherings and professional development seminars the rest of the year.

There is a half decent amount of people on the main side.

Not a whole lot of people are going to sit on the 'visiors' side when the sightlines are much better on the main side.

Here is a photo of the main side of the stadium.

Attachments

• 1656205687912326683154255849409.jpg
    1656205687912326683154255849409.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 107
There's as many people in attendance for these two games today as they get for their home games in their own cities in fact I think there's more. Bottom line is when the NFL finishes their season people mentally move on to other sports or activities and these other leagues keep trying to make it work but it just doesn't.

League was made for TV ratings and being ran as cheaply as possible. They succeeded for the first season but the long-term viability of the league is very questionable.

Thanks for posting a pic confirming the estimated 1,000 people in attendance.

This included a concert and two games for a $7.50 ticket.

I can only imagine the pathetic crowd that shows up for next weeks championship game.

I’m also wondering about the crowd for the big high school Freedom bowl in August with $20 tickets featuring one local team with a small fan base. Someone is about to lose a whole bunch of money if they are paying travel and lodging for all these teams.

Stark county is not going to support a high end steak house like Shulas. It will be closed within a year if it even ever opens. The fools and clowns are expecting it to be open in 5 weeks from now even though it’s current location is a mound of dirt.

For $2in stark county you can get a great steak with two sides at ……

Texas Roadhouse
Morries Pub (PTO special)
Smittys steak and ale in downtown Massillon

This entire HOF village was built backwards. Should have built an actually revenue producing facility first like the water park instead of the white elephant stadium that will never make any money or even come close to paying for itself.

Texas Roadhouse
for us statewide readers, this is a pretty good CliffNotes alternative to the inordinate number of posts regarding Canton/HoF Village on Yappi.com

"Don Shula's place? Something nice? May I suggest, while visiting our fine county, that you instead check out the chain restaurant."

Housing in Canton and North Canton is up higher than state average, commercial development is booming, and population is actually growing but yeah this whole hall of fame village idea must suck because the USFL didn't sell very many tickets. I swear you people will complain about anything and everything regardless of how it actually turns out

Thanks for posting a pic confirming the estimated 1,000 people in attendance.

This included a concert and two games for a $7.50 ticket.

I can only imagine the pathetic crowd that shows up for next weeks championship game.

I’m also wondering about the crowd for the big high school Freedom bowl in August with $20 tickets featuring one local team with a small fan base. Someone is about to lose a whole bunch of money if they are paying travel and lodging for all these teams.

Stark county is not going to support a high end steak house like Shulas. It will be closed within a year if it even ever opens. The fools and clowns are expecting it to be open in 5 weeks from now even though it’s current location is a mound of dirt.

Texas Roadhouse
Morries Pub (PTO special)
Smittys steak and ale in downtown Massillon

This entire HOF village was built backwards. Should have built an actually revenue producing facility first like the water park instead of the white elephant stadium that will never make any money or even come close to paying for itself.
A great steak with two sides for $2? ?

Housing in Canton and North Canton is up higher than state average, commercial development is booming, and population is actually growing but yeah this whole hall of fame village idea must suck because the USFL didn't sell very many tickets. I swear you people will complain about anything and everything regardless of how it actually turns out
Its mostly posters from a jealous fanbase who can't put the yearbook away long enough to see potential benefits for the whole region.

Where do you get these statistics?

$22 Mack. Sorry to get you riled up like that.

Higher than the state average ? Put down the crack pipe son. Stark county is one of the lowest priced areas in the state to live.

Most of high paying living wage jobs in the county are long gone.

Hoover gone
Diebold gone
Republic and Timken have a fraction of jobs left.

Canton had to raise its income tax to 2.5% it lost so many jobs. They are finding out crack heads don’t pay very many taxes.

Where do you get these statistics?
Population growth is US census, housing value is Redfin, commercial development comes from both the Canton and North Canton economic development committee board minutes.

North Canton and Canton have both had moderate population growth over the last five years while the state population as a whole has steadily declined.

North Canton housing beats the state average by nearly $15,000 while Canton has had a larger percentage of value increase than the state average for areas of similar demographics

North Canton and Canton both project consistent growth over the next 5 years in commercial development continuing a trend from previous years

Don't get me wrong the Hall of Fame Village isn't the only reason for this but the massive infusion of new capital into the area has been a massive shot in the arm for an area that 15 years ago was ailing. Provided subsequent phases of the Village are completed as planned you would imagine those positive impacts on the surrounding communities would only be magnified as more revenue would be drawn to the area

North Canton has what to do with Canton or the HOF ?

Population growth is US census, housing value is Redfin, commercial development comes from both the Canton and North Canton economic development committee board minutes.

North Canton and Canton have both had moderate population growth over the last five years while the state population as a whole has steadily declined.

North Canton housing beats the state average by nearly $15,000 while Canton has had a larger percentage of value increase than the state average for areas of similar demographics

North Canton and Canton both project consistent growth over the next 5 years in commercial development continuing a trend from previous years

Don't get me wrong the Hall of Fame Village isn't the only reason for this but the massive infusion of new capital into the area has been a massive shot in the arm for an area that 15 years ago was ailing. Provided subsequent phases of the Village are completed as planned you would imagine those positive impacts on the surrounding communities would only be magnified as more revenue would be drawn to the area
According to the US Census (2020), North Canton has increased in population, Canton has not.
Regarding the other stats you have mentioned, can you provide the actual sources for this information? Something that I can access and read. Keep in mind, there is a difference between Canton Proper and the Canton area. Same with North Canton. Thanks.

Last edited:
There's as many people in attendance for these two games today as they get for their home games in their own cities in fact I think there's more. Bottom line is when the NFL finishes their season people mentally move on to other sports or activities and these other leagues keep trying to make it work but it just doesn't.
They don't play in their home cities. Except Birmingham. And the USFL doesn't care at all about attendance. It's a made for TV product this year.

Attendance in Canton was a bit better than I was expecting but they had to cut the price in half to get that.

Next Sundays game will be interesting in that is one game but if they have some tremendous fireworks to go along with it they might match the two game sales.

They don't play in their home cities. Except Birmingham. And the USFL doesn't care at all about attendance. It's a made for TV product this year.

Attendance in Canton was a bit better than I was expecting but they had to cut the price in half to get that.

Next Sundays game will be interesting in that is one game but if they have some tremendous fireworks to go along with it they might match the two game sales.
On the way out of the stadium, they were passing out cards with a QR code for a free ticket to the championship game next Sunday.

I enjoyed watching the second game at Tom Benson stadium last night. There's not a bad seat at that stadium. One thing that the event coordinator didn't plan well was the concessions. There were more people there than it looked in the stands because they had about 100 in line at concessions the entire night. Had to wait 20 minutes for my $10 beer. Got one of those free Qr codes upon leaving and look forward to returning next Sunday.

I enjoyed watching the second game at Tom Benson stadium last night. There's not a bad seat at that stadium. One thing that the event coordinator didn't plan well was the concessions. There were more people there than it looked in the stands because they had about 100 in line at concessions the entire night. Had to wait 20 minutes for my $10 beer. Got one of those free Qr codes upon leaving and look forward to returning next Sunday.
I would agree. The one thing my late father use to say is you have to get the concessions right at sporting events.

According to the US Census (2020), North Canton has increased in population, Canton has not.
Regarding the other stats you have mentioned, can you provide the actual sources for this information? Something that I can access and read. Keep in mind, there is a difference between Canton Proper and the Canton area. Same with North Canton. Thanks.
You can't give Canton a least a tiny break can you. If somebody gives Canton any props at all you're there to jump right in aren't you.

Beautiful stadium. Finally found my grandfather's paver at entrance ( unfortunately had to move blue trash cans to locate it). You'd think with such a vast plaza, entrance they certainly could relocate the ugly blue trash cans somewhere else! Tried calling McK but told it was Benson issue. Tried there....press 1,2,3...no human, you get the idea. I'm going back again to make sure all those bricks and pavers that have been relocated are visible and respected. End of rant..