USC & Urban Meyer

LCL

Article came out, asking Urban if he'd leave Jacksonville for USC. Obviously he said No, he'd never leave. But...would it be a better gig. He's moved on from jobs before with excuses. Florida- headaches & no talent coming back, Ohio State- headaches and scandal with a coach on his staff.
I'm not saying his health problems aren't legitimate, the Maryland game when he passed out at the idea of losing to Maryland in OT comes to mind. But think about it.
You're in California, now the most high profile coach on the West Coast. USC will give him everything he wants, including a great contract. I could totally see him pulling a Nick Saban and going back to the college game. Jax couldnt beat Houston, it'll be a long year.

Not sure he leaves after one year, but I see him burning out after 2-3 years from the losing. Given his track record of having near if not immediate turnarounds at all of his college stops and how any losing or stressors seemed to impact him when in situations where things were going well, I can't see him lasting too long with the Jags current rebuilding situation.

I’ll say the same thing I said last time before he took the Jax job, lets see if I go 0-2 and 1-1. I don’t see him taking that on. Especially with all the changes in the off the field scene in college football in the 2 years he’s been gone.

If I'm the AD at USC, I wouldn't want Urban, who is guaranteed to leave after a few years. I would want a younger, more dynamic coach, who can return my program to the level it should be. They have had disastrous coaching picks and unqualified ADs making them. Lynn Swann and Pat Haden were not AD material. Several years of talent that went elsewhere.

I'd consider Urbs to be a stunning surprise here along with big "retired" names like Bob Stoops and Chris Petersen.

A pool of realistic and reasonable candidates probably looks like Fickell, Franklin, Campbell, Fleck, and Bill O'Brien, who's the latest Alabama OC/Nick Saban image rehabilitation project.

I really hope they hire Fleck, bc I want them to fail.
I could see him actually doing well because he can recruit, and he's a lot more mature and less ridiculous than he was earlier in his career.

He has Minnesota in a good place considering it's well, Minnesota. Double digit wins the year before COVID, and I think they'll get at least 8 wins this year. They just pounded a Colorado team that should have beaten A&M. I'd consider him to be as good as if not better than Campbell.

I could see him actually doing well because he can recruit, and he's a lot more mature and less ridiculous than he was earlier in his career.

He has Minnesota in a good place considering it's well, Minnesota. Double digit wins the year before COVID, and I think they'll get at least 8 wins this year. They just pounded a Colorado team that should have beaten A&M. I'd consider him to be as good as if not better than Campbell.
His shtick will wear thin if they don’t win. Plus, he said he models his Offense off Tressel’s, which is already a huge red flag.

His shtick will wear thin if they don’t win. Plus, he said he models his Offense off Tressel’s, which is already a huge red flag.
To a lesser extent, I think you could say many of the same things about James Franklin...regardless, I think both would win because they can recruit and have built solid programs before at difficult places.

Franklin I think has a good thing going where he's at, but he's also in a division with a school that's been one of the 3-4 best programs in college football over the last decade. Barring a buyout problem, I feel like he'd probably say yes and would be their second choice behind Fickell due to the AD connection.

Perhaps they do kick the tires some on a few of these big older names, but I think this job probably needs someone with some personality to create some energy and buzz.

Not much regional competition on the recruiting front on the west coast except for Oregon due to their resources, and to a lesser extent, UCLA and Washington. Somebody who's strengths are recruiting and leadership would have them top-2 in the PAC within a couple years and legitimately top-10 (or better) nationally after a full roster turnover.

At some point in time the guy that gets hired there just has to go into the kids house and say "Look come here, theres a lot of people who will pay NIL agreements if you sign. It cant be that hard to get a kid to come to LA. All recruiting trips are going to turn into this.

Coach- "Come here to play ball"
Recruit- "How much you gonna pay me?" Coach- "If you sign today Ive got a NIL ready to go for you"
Recruit- "Oh yea, another school is offering me a better NIL agreement"

Cant imagine how much harder recruiting is going to be now, coaches are going to end up trying to be a middle man between the player an an "agent"

The guy I would go after if I were USC is David Shaw from Stanford. He’s done great at Stanford with more difficult admission constraints than he would face at USC. He knows the league. He’s highly respected and he has all the recruiting contacts already. But now he can realistically bring in the top level recruits he couldn’t go after at Stanford. He might not want the job, though. He might just be perfectly content at Stanford where he’s a god doing what he’s doing, like Fitzgerald at Northwestern or Ferentz at Iowa. Going to USC raises the expectations of winning and winning big. He might not be up for that at this point.