USC, UCLA looking to leave Pac-12 for Big Ten in 2024, though deal not yet finalized

Imagine putting Lincoln Riley and Chip Kelly in the current Big Ten West, which is teeming with stationary pigs waiting to get slaughtered by any good offensive minds.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

It looks like the move is now a done deal. But to get the UC system board to approve UCLA's move to the B1G the Bruins have to basically pay off Cal:

As part of the board's decision, UCLA will have to increase its expected investment in student-athlete resources and might have to provide a subsidy to the University of California, Berkeley in the range of $2 million to $10 million once a Pac-12 media deal is secured, depending on the amount of the deal. A UCOP spokesperson said the frequency of the subsidy to UC Berkeley is yet to be determined.

Could you see Texas Tech getting a cash subsidy out of the University of Texas so the Longhorns could move to the SEC? I get the $s needed for academic support as time management could be an issue with the travel but nutrition and mental health due to the move to the B1G?!? California is a heck of a state...

It looks like the move is now a done deal. But to get the UC system board to approve UCLA's move to the B1G the Bruins have to basically pay off Cal:

As part of the board's decision, UCLA will have to increase its expected investment in student-athlete resources and might have to provide a subsidy to the University of California, Berkeley in the range of $2 million to $10 million once a Pac-12 media deal is secured, depending on the amount of the deal. A UCOP spokesperson said the frequency of the subsidy to UC Berkeley is yet to be determined.

Could you see Texas Tech getting a cash subsidy out of the University of Texas so the Longhorns could move to the SEC? I get the $s needed for academic support as time management could be an issue with the travel but nutrition and mental health due to the move to the B1G?!? California is a heck of a state...
Not quite the same thing, UCLA is "part" of Cal Berkley, TT is not a part of the University of Texas. At one time UCLA was pronounced University of California at Los Angeles.

I really hope the B10 adds a couple more teams so travel isnt so crazy. Maybe add the Washington and Oregon schools, maybe Colorado for the Denver market. Poach a team from the B12, say Kansas (basketball purposes). Instead of divisions use "pods".

Example:

POD 1
Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Penn State
Wisconsin
Minnesota

POD 2
Rutgers
Maryland
Indiana
Purdue
Northwestern

POD 3
Nebraska
Colorado*
Kansas*
Iowa
Illinois

POD 4
USC*
UCLA*
Washington*
Washington State*
Oregon*
Oregon State*

Travel is regionalized. Top 2 PODS play each other for Conference championship.
Add Seattle, Portland and Denver markets, and a respectable basketball program in Kansas. Playing games in all time zones, meaning your games are on all day, increasing profit.

If the Big Ten were to add two more, I would like to see Utah and Colorado. Utah has a great coach and Primetime would give us another novelty coach to go with Hairball.

If the Big Ten were to add two more, I would like to see Utah and Colorado. Utah has a great coach and Primetime would give us another novelty coach to go with Hairball.
IF I could pick any 2 schools that are still available and if they could leave their respective conferences it would be Oregon - Phil Knight money and the U a sleeping giant IMO. OR The U and Free Shoes U

Last edited:
TBH the B10 should consider several current B12 and all remaining P12 teams. Have cross over games. Grab the AZ and PAC NW markets

There's probably 8 schools I'd care to see if there were any further expansion: Notre Dame, Oregon, Washington, Miami, Florida State, Utah, Colorado, and North Carolina.

They need to try to grab at least one of and preferably both of Miami and Florida State due to program potential and the recruiting footprint.

If you take their AD's comment at face value that they generate 15% of the ACC media value, they are on paper worth approximately $60 million per year presently playing in a lesser league against several lesser value/lower viewership opponents.

That figure certainly increases with more premium games and better overall quality of inventory.

They bring zip to the the B1G. Not a big money school, doesn't deliver any major market, not a great academic school. I suppose if it gets you TV deals all over FL it could be a good thing, but FSU isn't wildly popular statewide.
Florida State is a top 20 public college in the country. Been ranked 55 overall with private and public. (Ohio state is 49). They are on track to be aau in the next decade too btw. You seem ignorant here

I saw FSU plates all over the state. I lived there. Saw many in South Florida

The conference that added Rutgers, Maryland and Nebraska to it saying FSU has no value is pretty damn funny.

Check the ratings for FSU football and get back to me. It's definitely a brand. They were top 15 even in recent awful football seasons before starting to turn it around last season

FSU and Clemson probably prefer the SEC anyways whenever they leave years down the road. Clemson won't ever have the Big as an option but FSU will be sought after by both

MentorGrad is correct, FSU is shooting up the academic rankings and would be OK by the B1G Presidents but their location and culture screams SEC so that makes the most sense. If the ACC schools were able to get out of their grant of rights deal, which it appears they will not, the thinking is FSU & Clemson go to the SEC with UNC & ND moving over to the B1G. ND might not be down with this but it might be the start of the Big 2 so the write would be on the wall.

Florida State is a top 20 public college in the country. Been ranked 55 overall with private and public. (Ohio state is 49). They are on track to be aau in the next decade too btw. You seem ignorant here

I saw FSU plates all over the state. I lived there. Saw many in South Florida

The conference that added Rutgers, Maryland and Nebraska to it saying FSU has no value is pretty damn funny.

Check the ratings for FSU football and get back to me. It's definitely a brand. They were top 15 even in recent awful football seasons before starting to turn it around last season

FSU and Clemson probably prefer the SEC anyways whenever they leave years down the road. Clemson won't ever have the Big as an option but FSU will be sought after by both
FSU is actually ranked #55 in the US News ranikings, ahead of several B1G schools and quite a few other strong academic schools. Ohio State is #49, by the way. I knew UF had turned itself into a top twenty school, but I didn’t realize FSU had risen so high in a relatively short time. They still are not a research powerhouse, but growing, and Nebraska is not AAU.

Not sure how much big money is behind FSU, or their TV pull statewide or regionally, but the B1G is never going to get the U of Florida…which is their dream…so FSU would be their best shot at a Sunshine State presence.

MentorGrad is correct, FSU is shooting up the academic rankings and would be OK by the B1G Presidents but their location and culture screams SEC so that makes the most sense. If the ACC schools were able to get out of their grant of rights deal, which it appears they will not, the thinking is FSU & Clemson go to the SEC with UNC & ND moving over to the B1G. ND might not be down with this but it might be the start of the Big 2 so the write would be on the wall.
Yes, he is correct. I hadn’t realized how much FSU has grown from the glorified community college days, much as Ohio State has done.

FSU is actually ranked #55 in the US News ranikings, ahead of several B1G schools and quite a few other strong academic schools. Ohio State is #49, by the way. I knew UF had turned itself into a top twenty school, but I didn’t realize FSU had risen so high in a relatively short time. They still are not a research powerhouse, but growing, and Nebraska is not AAU.

Not sure how much big money is behind FSU, or their TV pull statewide or regionally, but the B1G is never going to get the U of Florida…which is their dream…so FSU would be their best shot at a Sunshine State presence.
Yes I said all that on the rankings. They are 55 when taking into account all colleges public and private. They are a top 20 public university.

I also think when the crap hits the fan , the sec is going to fight for North Carolina and Virginia. They aren't just going to let them go to be B10 without a fight. I think those two and FSU/Clemson will be the main targets

Yes I said all that on the rankings. They are 55 when taking into account all colleges public and private. They are a top 20 public university
They definitely have a solid athletics presence and now they have moved into the higher echelons of colleges. I’m good with them in the B1G, but I feel the priority should be helping out the two LA schools with a couple of West Coast partners.

FSU and Clemson should be headed to the SEC, but I'd imagine there will be some members that push back against adding those two to their already crowded backyard. IMO UNC and UVA would have a much easier time getting through as footprint expanders.

The Big Ten should presently be focused on bridging the gap with their new LA schools by adding some additional western members, but when the crap really hits the fan I imagine they'll be pushing hard to add a couple members in the southeast, especially a presence in the state of Florida whether it's one or both of FSU and the U.

Matt Brown has been wrong a ton of times. He and that SI portion of their site are pretty much just fan blogs. He isn't plugged in . Had Marshall to the AAC the last time around .
Brown is just taking rumors talked about by many and put them into an article. I do agree Oregon and Washington are most valuable of the PAC, but I don't think Cal and Stanford are as valuable a people think

I think Washington and Oregon types could move but any huge shift like with the acc I'll believe it when I see it before around 2030. Definitely hope I'm wrong

After Notre Dame (of course ) , FSU, Clemson , North Carolina and Virginia are going to definitely be sought after when it's possible

Doubt if Florida would let FSU join the SEC. FSU or Miami would be a good addition, not only eyeballs but the fertile recruiting grounds of Florida. Also a lot of BIG alumni living in Florida.

Doubt if Florida would let FSU join the SEC. FSU or Miami would be a good addition, not only eyeballs but the fertile recruiting grounds of Florida. Also a lot of BIG alumni living in Florida.
They don't have the votes to keep them out if the league as a whole wants FSU. Plus if these 2 power leagues get huge, they won't want to lose the rivalry. The SEC and Big will both go after FSU and UNC types . I'll believe it when I see it before 2030 or so as I said above

The SEC just added Texas after already having Texas A&M. Plus the SEC would rather get FSU and Clemson than let the Big get FSU and get a foothold in Florida. The thinking of just markets has gone out the window. It's about brands now

It doesn’t make a ton of sense for the Big Ten to be looking anywhere other than the PAC right now. They can’t have leave it at two schools on the other side of the country

Here me out, 2030- no more conferences, just two divisions. North and South.

NORTH DIVISION

CENTRAL CONFERENCE
Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Penn State
Notre Dame
Illinois
Northwestern
Minnesota

MIDWEST CONFERENCE
Wisconsin
Iowa
Iowa State
Nebraska
Colorado
Kansas
Kansas State
Utah

WEST CONFERENCE
UCLA
USC
Oregon
Oregon State
Washington
Washington State
California
Stanford

SOUTH DIVISION

EAST CONFERENCE
Florida
Georgia
Florida State
Miami (FL)
Georgia Tech
South Carolina
Clemson
North Carolina State

CENTRAL CONFERENCE
West Virginia
Louisville
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
Kentucky
Virginia

SOUTHWEST
Memphis
Missouri
Arizona
Arizona State
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Baylor
Texas Tech

SOUTHEAST CONFERENCE
Alabama
Auburn
Mississippi State
Ole Miss
Texas A&M
Texas
LSU
Arkansas

-7 Conference Games
-3 Conference Crossover games
-2 Division crossover games
-Winners of each Conference in their Division play interconference playoffs.
-Winner of each Division's playoff play for the national title.

Radical idea, but its essentially taking the Top 64 teams in terms of competetiveness, brand name, and TV markets and splitting them in half regionally.

Here me out, 2030- no more conferences, just two divisions. North and South.

NORTH DIVISION

CENTRAL CONFERENCE
Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Penn State
Notre Dame
Illinois
Northwestern
Minnesota

MIDWEST CONFERENCE
Wisconsin
Iowa
Iowa State
Nebraska
Colorado
Kansas
Kansas State
Utah

WEST CONFERENCE
UCLA
USC
Oregon
Oregon State
Washington
Washington State
California
Stanford

SOUTH DIVISION

EAST CONFERENCE
Florida
Georgia
Florida State
Miami (FL)
Georgia Tech
South Carolina
Clemson
North Carolina State

CENTRAL CONFERENCE
West Virginia
Louisville
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
Kentucky
Virginia

SOUTHWEST
Memphis
Missouri
Arizona
Arizona State
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Baylor
Texas Tech

SOUTHEAST CONFERENCE
Alabama
Auburn
Mississippi State
Ole Miss
Texas A&M
Texas
LSU
Arkansas

-7 Conference Games
-3 Conference Crossover games
-2 Division crossover games
-Winners of each Conference in their Division play interconference playoffs.
-Winner of each Division's playoff play for the national title.

Radical idea, but its essentially taking the Top 64 teams in terms of competetiveness, brand name, and TV markets and splitting them in half regionally.
Never happen because BIG and SEC will never want to share their tv money.