Updates: Marion Local (15-0) vs. Kirtland (15-0) (12/3/22)

I did but then none of the refs appeared to tell the Kirtland coach that. He was clearly trying to stall to get a review and ended up losing a TO because of it. That was my original beef.
It's not their job to keep him informed of that. If a play was going to be reviewed, an official's time out would have been called.

I realize both teams had to play in the same conditions. I still feel cheated that these two excellent teams were limited due to the weather. Kirkland two punts that the wind knocked down definitely impacted the field position. Marion Local handle the wind better than Kirkland. It was still a entertaining game and fun to watch to schools play such a technically sound game. Best match up of the weekend.

It's not their job to keep him informed of that. If a play was going to be reviewed, an official's time out would have been called.
I disagree. If, as you suggest, they did review the play and concluded it wasn't a catch then they should tell the coaches that. If they didn't review the play they should have given the circumstances at that moment in the game. Either way Kirtland should not have lost the TO or been penalized for delay of game. My opinion here and I doubt it impacted the final score.

As an aside I'm not a fan of using replay in the championship games for this very reason. The refs and coaches are not really familiar with the process and the camera angles leave much to be desired.

I disagree. If, as you suggest, they did review the play and concluded it wasn't a catch then they should tell the coaches that.
First, after every play a cursory look at that play is performed. If, after that first look, the replay official decided that a formal look is in order he will notify the Referee who will stop the game and notify all involved that the prior play is under review. In this play it did not happen because after that cursory look, it was determined that the call was correct.

If they didn't review the play they should have given the circumstances at that moment in the game. Either way Kirtland should not have lost the TO or been penalized for delay of game. My opinion here and I doubt it impacted the final score.
They know the play wasn't being reviewed because the Referee did not declare an Official's Time Out. This wasn't breaking news for the coach, or for any coach for that matter as they were told prior to the game how the process works. The basic premise for replay is that the ruling on the field is correct. The coaches are to assume that the play has been ruled correctly until the Referee stops the game to conduct the review.

As far as time outs are concerned. It seems he choose to run the clock down in hopes that the guys in the booth would intervene. If so, he chose poorly. ;) There were many in attendance (on both sides) that questioned how the other 5 time outs allotted to him were managed as well.
As an aside I'm not a fan of using replay in the championship games for this very reason. The refs and coaches are not really familiar with the process and the camera angles leave much to be desired.
Agree with you here except for one point.... The officials on field have nothing to do with the process.

Remember, the coaches wanted this.

Last edited:
First, after every play a cursory look at that play is performed. If, after that first look, the replay official decided that a formal look is in order he will notify the Referee who will stop the game and notify all involved that the prior play is under review. In this play it did not happen because after that cursory look, it was determined that the call was correct.

They know the play wasn't being reviewed because the Referee did not declare an Official's Time Out. This wasn't breaking news for the coach, or for any coach for that matter as they were told prior to the game how the process works. The basic premise for replay is that the ruling on the field is correct. The coaches are to assume that the play has been ruled correctly until the Referee stops the game to conduct the review.

As far as time outs are concerned. It seems he choose to run the clock down in hopes that the guys in the booth would intervene. If so, he chose poorly. ;) There were many in attendance (on both sides) that questioned how the other 5 time outs allotted to him were managed as well.

Agree with you here except for one point.... The officials on field have nothing to do with the process.

Remember, the coaches wanted this.
In tigers defense I was on sideline as the play happened the ref did tell him they will look at it so I would assume that was the reason that he had the players come over. Also think there was an injured ML player that play as well out of bounds on their side. No excuses here though. Just wanted to clarify he wasn’t waiting for clock to run. The ref did say they would look at it.

In tigers defense I was on sideline as the play happened the ref did tell him they will look at it so I would assume that was the reason that he had the players come over. Also think there was an injured ML player that play as well out of bounds on their side. No excuses here though. Just wanted to clarify he wasn’t waiting for clock to run. The ref did say they would look at it.
The coaches were told that unless the Referee stops play, there isn't a review.

The player on the sideline was not an issue. If it would have been there would have been an official's time out declared for the injury.

The coaches were told that unless the Referee stops play, there isn't a review.

The player on the sideline was not an issue. If it would have been there would have been an official's time out declared for the injury.
I understand that. 100%. All I’m saying is the ref on our sideline said they were looking at it.

Guess I don't understand the technicality of the rule yall are talking about, all I know is I have seen plenty of toe taps for receptions in hs, college, and pro.

Guess I don't understand the technicality of the rule yall are talking about, all I know is I have seen plenty of toe taps for receptions in hs, college, and pro
The rule is the same across all three.

- Toe in, then dragged across the line is considered in bounds.
- Toe in followed by heel out without the toe leaving the turf before the heel hits is out of bounds.
- Heel in followed by toe out without the heel leaving the ground before the toe hits is out of bounds.

I disagree. If, as you suggest, they did review the play and concluded it wasn't a catch then they should tell the coaches that. If they didn't review the play they should have given the circumstances at that moment in the game. Either way Kirtland should not have lost the TO or been penalized for delay of game. My opinion here and I doubt it impacted the final score.

No. It was ruled incomplete on the field. Play on.

The coach screwed up. Nobody else.

Guess I don't understand the technicality of the rule yall are talking about, all I know is I have seen plenty of toe taps for receptions in hs, college, and pro.
The technicality is that if part of the foot is out of bounds, it's out of bounds. Always has been, and you see it every week.

With the watered down playoffs I imagine everyone is winning rhem now....since it is so watered down and easy to do......

How many 5+ seeds have won titles? Curious. 1999 I believe was the first of 8 teams . There is extensive proof that many state title worthy teams simply were left out due to no fault of their own.

Anyone know where this turd etown is from?
Lol, the playoffs are just as watered down for everyone else, but I don't see anyone else producing those results.

To tell the truth though, I agree. 100 teams in a division? I consider getting third as a team in a sport like XC or Track where there is ~250 'teams' (as defined by OHSAA; Probably closer to 300 in reality) atleast equal in difficulty to a state championship in football. I don't see how a program can claim to be the best and not be the best of 100 even once.
E towns team must be rolling in itles a
Toe in then heel out is out of bounds in the NCAA and NFL as well.
Some people are outing themselves with their lack of football IQ this weekend ...with this play and duds who think the clock is to reset when offsetting penalties and replaying the down. These are normal occurances each week in football.

sidebar: I believe it's correct that in the four games between ML and Kirtland the home team has won every time.

2015 ... 2017 ... 2018 ... 2022

Last edited:
I heard Kirtland will be getting a name change and updates to their stadium. I know the field will be replaced but does anyone know if the stands will be replaced? The visitor side has been there since the 70s at least and the current home side has been there as long as I can remember probably 80s. Just wondering if any fellow Kirtland fan has any info on what they plan to do.

I heard Kirtland will be getting a name change and updates to their stadium. I know the field will be replaced but does anyone know if the stands will be replaced? The visitor side has been there since the 70s at least and the current home side has been there as long as I can remember probably 80s. Just wondering if any fellow Kirtland fan has any info on what they plan to do.
It will be named Wilson Field. At this time just new visitors stands outside of track, top of line turf, also in works of video scoreboard possibly being donated by an alumni. With the increased cost we are having these days the home stands had to be taken out of the equation.

15995E46-19A9-4C1C-A35F-3E6C3CB303E3.jpeg

Judging by the photo, that's going to be a really nice stadium - good job Kirtland!

Is that a mini football field between the "south" goalpost and the track (bottom of photo)?