Updates: Hoban vs Toledo Central Catholic (12/1/22)

Nice job hall of fame...leave the freaking stage up for the first time as a obstruction, but ohsaa comes thru with hillbilly trash presentations of trophies that look worse than grade school ones. Why make a trophy that looked more impressive look like just a piece of wood? Good lord

Whats the rule for the play clock after the punt with offsetting penalties? Not required to put time back on?
Again ...when have they ever put time back on the clock for penalties other than when the clock kept running when it was to stop ?

Thoughts:

The OHSAA should be ashamed of that broadcast. Announcers seemed not to be watching the game at times. Missed many penalties altogether. Had no recap of game at half, then did one during the third quarter. There was a 15-yard penalty on TCC and I still don't know what for because the announcers were busy recapping the first half and never noticed it.

We are spoiled in west central Ohio. Any WOSN broadcast is miles better than that.

Not to mention my wife told me I was spoiled by the coaching in the games we see. Apparently, neither team knows how to pass against good competition, and TCC must have averages 1 yard on every second half first down when then ran the ball up the middle. And why TCC didn't have the QB run around for 5 seconds and then take a knee every down at the end baffles me. They would have had the clock down to 10-15 seconds on 4th down, then could have just run backwards and taken the safety for the win.

There were great athletes in this game, however. A joy to watch Mt Football in action, and was extremely impressed with the TCC pass rush.

Thoughts:

The OHSAA should be ashamed of that broadcast. Announcers seemed not to be watching the game at times. Missed many penalties altogether. Had no recap of game at half, then did one during the third quarter. There was a 15-yard penalty on TCC and I still don't know what for because the announcers were busy recapping the first half and never noticed it.

We are spoiled in west central Ohio. Any WOSN broadcast is miles better than that.

Not to mention my wife told me I was spoiled by the coaching in the games we see. Apparently, neither team knows how to pass against good competition, and TCC must have averages 1 yard on every second half first down when then ran the ball up the middle. And why TCC didn't have the QB run around for 5 seconds and then take a knee every down at the end baffles me. They would have had the clock down to 10-15 seconds on 4th down, then could have just run backwards and taken the safety for the win.

There were great athletes in this game, however. A joy to watch Mt Football in action, and was extremely impressed with the TCC pass rush.
Agree on the broadcast. Worst I have ever seen. Michael Reghi needs to retire.

Only worse one I've seen is thirsdsay night football in the Dayton area ....now that guy was even worse than these two tonight.
Totally agree,it hurts me to listen to Jim Place on those Thursday Night Light broadcasts. I think the worst commentator though was Butler By'Note, the X OSU back,I don't remember the year,but he kept referring to Alter as Catering Alter!!!

Thoughts:

Rehgi is not well thought of by the Toledo message boarders. I like him on the college games.

The BCSN regular crew is terrific. Mason Lowry the lead. John Gibson very observant. Perfect voices. They both pull off fannish without being too fannish whether it's a semi-final state game or a local City League. Gibson can throw out the cliches on some days but mostly it feels like a conversation with the tv. And if it's neutral, they are neutral. They always sound excited about the kids they see in front of them on either team, know their names, their history. And that's the last nice thing I will say about anything in the Block family biz. :D

Rehgi is not well thought of by the Toledo message boarders. I like him on the college games.

The BCSN regular crew is terrific. Mason Lowry the lead. John Gibson very observant. Perfect voices. They both pull off fannish without being too fannish whether it's a semi-final state game or a local City League. Gibson can throw out the cliches on some days but mostly it feels like a conversation with the tv. And if it's neutral, they are neutral. They always sound excited about the kids they see in front of them on either team, know their names, their history. And that's the last nice thing I will say about anything in the Block family biz. :D
True. Lowry does other sports too and is a true treasure for the area. It would have been great to have them yesterday.

Last edited:
True. Lowry does other sports too and is true treasure for the area. It would have been great to have them yesterday.
BCSN2 had Spectrum's broadcast, but you're absolutely correct about Lowry. He has had several good calls connected to TCC (Highland comeback, Word of God game, Kings game, I'm sure I'm missing some others). East is right too, he makes any game he's covering sound very professional and does his homework when it comes to both sides (ex: the Highland and St. Ed coaches are in-laws, never knew that!).

What is the record of Mister Football in championship games?
Looks like 8-5 after a quick run thru.

1990: Bobby Hoying W
1991: Derek Kidwell W
2000: Jeff Backes W
2002: Ben Mauk W
2003: Ray Williams W
2006: Brandon Saine W
2007: Bart Tanski L
2010: Akise Teague W
2011: Maty Mauk L
2013: Dante Booker Jr. W
2014: Joe Burrow L
2015: Keishaun Sims L
2022: Lamar Sperling L

Last edited:
Looks like 8-5 after a quick run thru.

1990: Bobby Hoying W
1991: Derek Kidwell W
2000: Jeff Backes W
2002: Ben Mauk W
2003: Ray Williams W
2006: Brandon Saine W
2007: Bart Tanski L
2010: Akise Teague W
2011: Maty Mauk L
2013: Dante Booker Jr. W
2014: Joe Burrow L
2015: Keishaun Sims L
2022: Lamar Serling L
TCC is now 2-0 vs. Mr. Football in state title games.