UD Arena to host OHSAA state basketball tournaments through 2024

EHS 2001

University of Dayton to Host OHSAA Girls and Boys Basketball State Tournaments
UD Arena to host girls and boys basketball state tournaments for the next three years

COLUMBUS, Ohio – The University of Dayton and the Ohio High School Athletic Association announced Monday that the OHSAA girls and boys basketball state tournaments will be hosted at UD Arena for the next three years. Doug Ute, OHSAA Executive Director, and Scott DeBolt, Senior Associate Athletics Director at the University of Dayton and Executive Director of UD Arena, made the announcement Monday and will hold a press conference at UD Arena Monday afternoon.

UD Arena had already been announced as the home of the OHSAA girls basketball state tournament for 2021, 2022 and 2023, but the new agreement for the girls and boys basketball state tournaments in 2022, 2023 and 2024 replaces that previous contract. UD Arena successfully hosted both the OHSAA girls and boys basketball state tournaments this past March.

“We are very excited that our student-athletes will get to play at UD Arena,” Ute said. “Even with the pandemic limiting what all could take place at the state tournaments last March, our schools still had a great experience at UD Arena, and UD made it very clear that they wanted to host both the girls and boys state tournaments moving forward. We know that the support for basketball in Southwest Ohio is very strong and UD wants to be the home of the state tournaments.”

Having hosted 125 NCAA basketball tournament games, UD Arena has been the home court for March Madness more than any other facility in the country.

“We are very excited to host the state tournaments at UD Arena,” DeBolt said. “In addition to our love of the Dayton Flyers, we are so proud to host many great events here, including the NCAA First Four, and we are pleased and grateful to welcome the OHSAA girls and boys basketball state tournaments to UD Arena. Our community will support the state tournaments just like our other events and this will be a special place for the teams, schools and communities that reach the state tournaments.”

Renovated in 2019, UD Arena has a seating capacity of 13,000 and has played host to many OHSAA basketball district and regional tournament games, along with Atlantic 10 Conference and NCAA tournament games. During the regular season, it is the home of the very successful University of Dayton Flyers women’s and men’s basketball teams.

UD Arena recently completed a transformation project that was the largest construction effort in the University’s history. It is regarded as one of the nation’s premier basketball facilities to go along with fan support that consistently ranks among the best in college basketball.

Prior to its move to UD Arena in March, the OHSAA girls basketball state tournament had been hosted by The Ohio State University every year since it inaugural state tournament in 1976, except in 1986 when it was hosted by the University of Akron. The OHSAA boys basketball state tournament had been hosted by OSU every year since 1957, except for 1986 and 1987 when it was hosted at UD Arena. The 2021 OHSAA boys basketball state tournament was scheduled to be hosted at OSU’s St. John Arena, but the facility was unavailable due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The OHSAA did not have a contract in place with OSU for the boys basketball state tournament beyond the 2021 agreement that was voided.

1620081005489.png

Photo Credit: OHSAA

Last edited by a moderator:

I have mixed feelings about this one being from Dayton. I love the venue and think it's one of the best in America for college basketball. I've seen many, many great HS basketball games there. I think there's great potential to pack this place and make it an outstanding atmosphere for the kids. On the other hand, there's also something special about making that trip to Columbus to play in Ohio State's gym (whether you're a Buckeye fan or not) when you're a kid. The kids in Dayton get to play in UD Arena pretty regularly whether it's the sectional, districts, or regional (UD's done them all over the years). Like I said, I can see both sides of this argument. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
I have mixed feelings about this one being from Dayton. I love the venue and think it's one of the best in America for college basketball. I seen many, many great HS basketball games there. I think there's great potential to pack this place and make it an outstanding atmosphere for the kids. On the other hand, there's also something special about making that trip to Columbus to play in Ohio State's gym (whether you're a Buckeye fan or not) when you're a kid. The kids in Dayton get to play in UD Arena pretty regularly whether it's the sectional, districts, or regional (UD's done them all over the years). Like I said, I can see both sides of this argument. What do you guys think?
Totally agree. I wrestled in HS and the goal was not only to make it to the state tournament but it was awesome to wrestle at St.Johns arena on campus....so I can relate

I have mixed feelings about this one being from Dayton. I love the venue and think it's one of the best in America for college basketball. I seen many, many great HS basketball games there. I think there's great potential to pack this place and make it an outstanding atmosphere for the kids. On the other hand, there's also something special about making that trip to Columbus to play in Ohio State's gym (whether you're a Buckeye fan or not) when you're a kid. The kids in Dayton get to play in UD Arena pretty regularly whether it's the sectional, districts, or regional (UD's done them all over the years). Like I said, I can see both sides of this argument. What do you guys think?
It was OSU’s to lose and the university wanted to go in another direction. Part of me wants it to stay in Columbus. But sadly, Columbus does not want it. Props for UD and the city for stepping up and hopefully make it their own.

They no longer play sectionals there.... just the districts. Regionals is typically played at Trent Arena and Cintas.....

Being a Buckeye fan, I was not happy with this situation. Not upset with OHSAA but with OSU. Finances probably played a big part in OSU's decision but being the host of the state tournaments thru the years has to have paid off in great publicity and goodwill. Not all decisions should be only dollars and cents.

I have no issues with UD Arena - great venue. I have gone to the State Tourn. every year, except 2 since 1968. I went to Dayton when it was there in 86-87. The City of Columbus is better suited to host this event. Many more hotel options and much more to do between games and after games. This move to Dayton will probably end my run of attending the State Tournament. It is sad but it sounds like Ohio State really doesn't want to host this event. Attendance has been dropping for years at the State Tournament for many reasons, mainly because of AAU All Star teams playing in small school divisions. I think the trend will continue with the move to Dayton.

I have no issues with UD Arena - great venue. I have gone to the State Tourn. every year, except 2 since 1968. I went to Dayton when it was there in 86-87. The City of Columbus is better suited to host this event. Many more hotel options and much more to do between games and after games. This move to Dayton will probably end my run of attending the State Tournament. It is sad but it sounds like Ohio State really doesn't want to host this event. Attendance has been dropping for years at the State Tournament for many reasons, mainly because of AAU All Star teams playing in small school divisions. I think the trend will continue with the move to Dayton.
What does the move to UD Arena have to do with "AAU All-Star teams?" That is a completely nonsensical argument, the two events are completely independent of each other. So you're saying if the games stayed at OSU that would be the end of these so called AAU All-Star teams? I fail to see the correlation on that one.

What does the move to UD Arena have to do with "AAU All-Star teams?" That is a completely nonsensical argument, the two events are completely independent of each other. So you're saying if the games stayed at OSU that would be the end of these so called AAU All-Star teams? I fail to see the correlation on that one.
He connects the decline in attendance with the AAU style teams appearing in the lower divisions. (open enrollment in urban areas)

He did say that he thinks the decline will continue even with it being moved to UD.

I think it's been awhile since early tourney rounds were played at UD. Not even sure any are played now. Regionals been in Cincy for a long time.

I guess I don't disagree.
Fans generally rally around their home town teams, especially the rural areas.
Urban teams generally have poor followings and tat has always been the case. Boys team played Taft this past year and was surprised of how few fans they bring. That is just their nature and it gets worse when they are AAU style all star teams that generate less school interest.

A big part of the attraction of the State Tournament for me was when an entire community shows up to support their team. In my area of the state, when North Adams, Eastern Br., South Webster, Oak Hill and others made the trip to Columbus, the entire area showed up. This is the case also in the Regionals - I saw an incredible crowd show up one night when Vinton County played John Glenn at the Convo. It seems in this era of basketball that teams no longer are supported by a community but are back by a sponsor.

Last edited:
A big part of the attraction of the State Tournament for me was when an entire community shows up to support their team. In my area of the state, when North Adams, Eastern Br., South Webster, Oak Hill and others made the trip to Columbus, the entire area showed up. This is the case also in the Regionals - I saw an incredible crowd show up one night when Vinton County played John Glenn at the Convo. It seems in the era of basketball that teams no longer are supported by a community but are back by a sponsor.
Which sports has lost more attendance over the last few years for their state tournament... basketball or football

This is no correlation. I was just making a comment regarding the decline in attendance no matter where it is held. Has nothing to do with Dayton or Columbus.

I am a SW Ohio guy and would love for it to stay in Columbus. Like a few have already said, there are a lot more options of things to do/stay in the Columbus area to make the experience a better experience. Columbus is centrally located which bodes to everyone.

I partially think attendance is down because a lot of the games are televised now through your cable provider.

But the bottom line is that if UD wants to host it and take it on, more power to them for this! UD Arena is a great venue. I remember watching Kennard's Franklin team get beat by Dunbar or Thurogood Marshall (I don't remember) in a near sell-out or maybe even a sell-out. Reminded me of the Lebron/OJ Mayo days where everyone was there to see the star attractions...in this case, Kennard. Man o man, does Bales wish he had that last two minutes of the game back. Hate to say it, but that was Bale's chance to capitalize on the Kennard era and he blew it. (Absolutely outcoached)

I went up to Akron for the girls tournament in 86 and to UD arena that same year. I will agree it did not have the same "accomplishment " feel as a trip to your state capital city to decide your states champion for your size school has in Columbus. However, once the game starts you quickly forget where your at geographically and the game is the same. If attendance suffers that would be a different issue. There is no better place to watch a game than the lower bowl of UD arena. The top 15 rows of the two wings is a very different story. I'm good with it but seems a bit odd for coaches to be telling teams at the first practice the goal this year is to get to Dayton.

As far as lodging goes, the area within 30 minutes of the arena has many options.

I'd be more inclined to go watch a state final. A little closer and I'm more familiar with the area.