UC Bearcats

To be clear, if Bryant is the starter I believe it'll be more Prater losing the battle than Bryant winning it. The only knock I've heard on Prater is his accuracy issues, so with most of the OL back and a stable of backs, they're going to be a run heavy team. Prater brings another element of that running game, but if he can't hit WRs when he needs to, then it's not going to work as teams stack the box and dare him to beat them over the top.
That’s a fair way of putting it and you’re spot on with the rest. Hopefully Prater can get the same work Des got over his 4 years to improve accuracy, awareness and working through progressions. Might wanna get him linked up with Jordan Palmer.

8FFB3C35-C1E9-4040-A659-13DBDF06BC4D.jpeg

The season starts in 4 days at #19 Arkansas. The #23 Bearcats are 8-point underdogs.

Anybody traveling to Fayetteville? Predictions?

The season starts in 4 days at #19 Arkansas. The #23 Bearcats are 8-point underdogs.

Anybody traveling to Fayetteville? Predictions?
I’ve got Arkansas covering the -6.5 spread easily. UC lost way, way too many guys to go into a Top 25 SEC team’s backyard and expect to win.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

I’ve got Arkansas covering the -6.5 spread easily. UC lost way, way too many guys to go into a Top 25 SEC team’s backyard and expect to win.

Arkansas, coming off their best season in a decade, lost a lot too. Arguably their best returning WR is an Oklahoma transfer that hasn’t really done much so far in his career. And Jefferson isn’t exactly known for his pin point accuracy.

That said, I expect Arkansas to win. If anyone is going to the game, shoot me a PM. Assuming you are of age, I’ll have a cold beer waiting for you at a tailgate pregame.

Betting on Arkansas to cover seems like easy money.

UC's QB position is the biggest concern for me.

Bryant will likely get the most snaps but he didn't exactly set the MAC ablaze last season.

Prater hasn't really played any meaningful downs in almost 3 years.

Lot of pessimism on this board. Bearcats have a more talented roster this year, but much less experience. I’d feel great about Arkansas mid season but breaking in new players might be rough. The conference looks a lot tougher this year as well. They should compete for another conference title and New Years bowl.
I think everyone here is completely underestimating our QB room. We had an Elite 11 commit come in and transfer out within a week of seeing how deep the room was. Everyone seems familiar with Prater but seem to forget Bryant nearly overtook Ridder. Now he’s back with a year of starting experience, he’s going to be real good too.

Lot of pessimism on this board. Bearcats have a more talented roster this year, but much less experience. I’d feel great about Arkansas mid season but breaking in new players might be rough. The conference looks a lot tougher this year as well. They should compete for another conference title and New Years bowl.
I think everyone here is completely underestimating our QB room. We had an Elite 11 commit come in and transfer out within a week of seeing how deep the room was. Everyone seems familiar with Prater but seem to forget Bryant nearly overtook Ridder. Now he’s back with a year of starting experience, he’s going to be real good too.
You call it pessimism, I'll call it reality. They aren't going to go 12-0, then 13-0 and make the Playoff again. I think 10-2/9-3 is attainable with a spot in the AAC Championship Game for the 4th year in a row and a shot at the NY6 Bowl.

But your second statement is just not true. They are not more talented this year. They had 9 guys get drafted to the NFL off last year's team.

I'm surprised the line isn't bigger for this game against Arkansas. 6.5 points for a true SEC road matchup is very generous IMO, that goes to show what the National Perception is of the program so kudos to Coach Fickell and staff. I do think the Bearcats give them hell for a half, but the depth, size and speed of Arkansas is too much.

You call it pessimism, I'll call it reality. They aren't going to go 12-0, then 13-0 and make the Playoff again. I think 10-2/9-3 is attainable with a spot in the AAC Championship Game for the 4th year in a row and a shot at the NY6 Bowl.

But your second statement is just not true. They are not more talented this year. They had 9 guys get drafted to the NFL off last year's team.

I'm surprised the line isn't bigger for this game against Arkansas. 6.5 points for a true SEC road matchup is very generous IMO, that goes to show what the National Perception is of the program so kudos to Coach Fickell and staff. I do think the Bearcats give them hell for a half, but the depth, size and speed of Arkansas is too much.

The roster is more talented and will continue to be the next couple seasons. Position groups are all deeper even if the starters in those groups arent quite as good as last year. We return all 5 OL from a playoff team and 2 of them were fighting to keep their jobs as the recruiting has continued to get better. Last year if Ridder went down the season would have been over. Thats why they didnt use his running ability near as much as they could have. The starter might not be as good this season, but QB 2, and 3 will be much improved. Could go down the list at every position and see more talent and depth even if the starter is not as strong.

The roster is more talented and will continue to be the next couple seasons. Position groups are all deeper even if the starters in those groups arent quite as good as last year. We return all 5 OL from a playoff team and 2 of them were fighting to keep their jobs as the recruiting has continued to get better. Last year if Ridder went down the season would have been over. Thats why they didnt use his running ability near as much as they could have. The starter might not be as good this season, but QB 2, and 3 will be much improved. Could go down the list at every position and see more talent and depth even if the starter is not as strong.

I don't think anyone is questioning that the quality of our depth chart. That would naturally be a byproduct of stronger recruiting under Fickell.

The pessimism lies specifically with Saturday and Arkansas being a really good team/tough match-up along with the challenges of breaking in a new QB in a tough environment.

As Elder09 said, the expectation should still be to win the league and make a NY6, but that doesn't stop one from being pessimistic about our chances of winning tomorrow.

I don't think anyone is questioning that the quality of our depth chart. That would naturally be a byproduct of stronger recruiting under Fickell.

The pessimism lies specifically with Saturday and Arkansas being a really good team/tough match-up along with the challenges of breaking in a new QB in a tough environment.

As Elder09 said, the expectation should still be to win the league and make a NY6, but that doesn't stop one from being pessimistic about our chances of winning tomorrow.
Thats fine. i'm not expecting to go undefeated. If we played arkansas midseason i'd expect to win, but tomorrow will be tough. My point was a random fan reading this board would expect UC to drop way off. People talking earlier in thread that they'll need a few years in the big12 to build up the roster when UC would have already been the most talented team in that conference the last 2 seasons. Someone even said 8 wins in the big12 would be a success for this program. Thats nuts. People seriously underrate the amount of talent in Clifton.

Thats fine. i'm not expecting to go undefeated. If we played arkansas midseason i'd expect to win, but tomorrow will be tough. My point was a random fan reading this board would expect UC to drop way off. People talking earlier in thread that they'll need a few years in the big12 to build up the roster when UC would have already been the most talented team in that conference the last 2 seasons. Someone even said 8 wins in the big12 would be a success for this program. Thats nuts. People seriously underrate the amount of talent in Clifton.
UC can play Arkansas tomorrow, next week, next month, at Thanksgiving, at Christmas, at the Pro Bowl, it doesn’t matter. They’re not gonna win.

So you're saying at some critical positions, QB and OL they have more depth. That doesn't mean they're more talented.

They don't have a QB as talented as Ridder.
They don't have a RB as talented as Ford - there's potential there, but not yet.
They don't have a WR as talented as Pierce - again potential, but not there yet.
They don't have a CB as talented as Gardner or Bryant.

I'd actually argue that they had some good, quality depth last year, especially defensively. Huber, Van Fossen, Briggs, Pace, these guys are stepping in and will play a lot more this year than they did last.

So you're saying at some critical positions, QB and OL they have more depth. That doesn't mean they're more talented.

They don't have a QB as talented as Ridder.
They don't have a RB as talented as Ford - there's potential there, but not yet.
They don't have a WR as talented as Pierce - again potential, but not there yet.
They don't have a CB as talented as Gardner or Bryant.

I'd actually argue that they had some good, quality depth last year, especially defensively. Huber, Van Fossen, Briggs, Pace, these guys are stepping in and will play a lot more this year than they did last.
You fail to understand the difference between a starting lineup and a full roster, which is why you continue to miss my point.

I stated the roster is more talented. It is.

That's simply not true. There is an argument to be had that maybe last year they were as talented as some of the Big 12 teams, but more talented or the most talented had they been in the Big 12 - that's just not true. Take off your Red and Black glasses.

You're completely kidding yourself if you don't think there will be some sort of adjustment moving into the Big 12. They're not going to move to the Big 12 and win 10-11-12 games right off the bat.

Fickell seems to be establishing the program as a top notch talent developer. Will be tough to gauge based on the strength of their recruiting classes alone

Fickell seems to be establishing the program as a top notch talent developer. Will be tough to gauge based on the strength of their recruiting classes alone
Correct. I’m not certain but of the 9 UC players drafted in April I don’t believe any were better then a 3 star out of high school.