UC Bearcats

Malzhan basically averages 4-5 losses a year. I get that was in the sec, but that’s not really a great run at auburn.
Not sure I agree. In terms of win % Malzahn was above Auburn's all-time average, and is neck and neck with Auburn coaching great Ralph Jordan(stadium is named after him). I think Malzahn was right on par for Auburn. And that's with the greatest college coach ever as your division rival. Take a look at their year-by-year results. It's a bunch of 5-9 win seasons sandwiched between a 10-12 win season every 3-5 years.

Not sure I agree. In terms of win % Malzahn was above Auburn's all-time average, and is neck and neck with Auburn coaching great Ralph Jordan(stadium is named after him). I think Malzahn was right on par for Auburn. And that's with the greatest college coach ever as your division rival. Take a look at their year-by-year results. It's a bunch of 5-9 win seasons sandwiched between a 10-12 win season every 3-5 years.

Guess I never really realized how meh of a program Auburn is outside of a few outstanding years. Still, a 670 win percentage is kind of a yawner. Maybe I’m wrong. Certainly will be easier to win in the aac vs the sec though.

UC Tackle James Hudson ranked#5 Tackle on NFL.com. That’s as high as I’ve seen for him. Apparently his stock is rising.

He is memorable, only offensive player I have seen get ejected for targeting. Not to beat a dead horse but this guy probably cost UC a NY 6 Bowl W.

Any word of UC going back out to play UCLA in the Rose Bowl stadium? I attended that game a couple years ago and the setting in Pasadena was spectacular!

Any word of UC going back out to play UCLA in the Rose Bowl stadium? I attended that game a couple years ago and the setting in Pasadena was spectacular!

They are not in the OOC schedule for the next 10 years. There are openings in 2024, 2025 & 2027-2031 for UC; the first OOC open date for UCLA is 2027

Indoor practice facility by 2026?

What’s the word on a future indoor practice facility for football? Do you think athletic director John Cunningham brushed off the new locker rooms and is potentially stringing Luke Fickell and company along with this? — Hunter S.

I got a few questions about the indoor practice facility. First of all, I don’t think the limited scope of the new football locker room combined with talk of an indoor facility was merely a ploy to placate Fickell, although the two projects certainly and reasonably have been conjoined together. As I wrote back in February (which feels like a million years ago), the financial impact of the pandemic did curtail the funding and scope of the locker room renovation, which originally was scheduled to start in January and be completed ahead of the 2021 season. Talk of an indoor facility did pick up steam during that process and remains a major project in an exploratory phase, but it is very much a real proposition. Fickell and the football program obviously want it, and it’s something Cunningham is committed to turning into a reality, although we’re still years away from shovels hitting the ground on what would be at least a $30 million undertaking with no established location.

The more immediate focus for all parties is on the locker room, which sources told The Athletic in February still would receive many of the original aesthetic upgrades with savings coming largely via value engineering measures, such as reductions to structural changes and updates for the showers and equipment room. The university recently announced the renovation funds, which were reduced from roughly $8 million to north of $4 million, have been fully secured. Upgrades to the nutrition area and team room are underway and should be done before the season kicks off. The locker room reno won’t start until January 2022 but credit to Fickell for continuing to cape for it, as well as Cunningham and the administration for making it happen amid unforeseen obstacles and unexpected belt-tightening.

The indoor practice facility becomes the next major enterprise, and it’s one that hopefully will manifest in the next five years for UC. If it does, pulling back on the locker room will prove a prudent and shrewd decision. Now it’s on the athletic department to make that happen — and do everything possible to ensure Fickell is still around to reap the benefits.

One of my favorite NCAA football stadiums, how many stadiums are in the middle of the academic campus? I just wish the students & locals would support this team a little more and fill the place up for most games.

With Oklahoma and Texas bailing will the Big 12 be viewed as a power 5 conference by most people? It has been heavily cannibalized over the years.
In basketball maybe but it is not the American and that’s good for the Bearcats. When Fickell leaves it will be interesting to see where the program goes. I’m proud of how they keep trying to be better

For many sports the new Big 12 is not much of an upgrade, it will have to be done simply for football. What is left is nothing special for football either, they average in 40-50K range for home attendance and none really move the needle when it comes to eyeballs on TV screens. West Va. is probably the best football brand left and while the dominate the state of West Va. it not like they have throngs of fans driving huge ratings. BYU will be a nice addition but his is not the 1980s with Lavelle Edwards keeping them in the top 20 and Utah a non factor. I would still make the move if I was in the UC Athletic Department.

The Big XII will still have better bowl tie-ins and TV contracts than the AAC. It's a no-brainer for UC.

BYU could be a powerhouse in the middle part of the decade. Who knows how much money is going to be showered on the football program with the NIL

The Big XII will still have better bowl tie-ins and TV contracts than the AAC. It's a no-brainer for UC.

BYU could be a powerhouse in the middle part of the decade. Who knows how much money is going to be showered on the football program with the NIL
I agree it would be an upgrade for UC. I am curious if the Big 12 will maintain Power 5 status. They were left out of the Big 10, ACC and Pac 12 alliance. Will they lose bowl tie-ins and be given lesser TV contracts?

The TV deal will lose a ton of value with Texas and Oklahoma out, but it will still be better than the AAC. I would largely look at this league as being a better version of the AAC for football.

Basketball does not move the needle in the financials of all of this, but this will be a phenomenal move for UC hoops. Unless losing Texas and Oklahoma tanks the revenues so bad it totally decimates salaries and budgets for basketball, this league will continue to be better than at least one of the other power conferences every year. Staying with Houston while adding Kansas, Baylor, Oklahoma State, West Virginia, etc. is a huge basketball upgrade and UC could have a viable path to being a true hardwood power again like in the Huggins era.

The TV deal will lose a ton of value with Texas and Oklahoma out, but it will still be better than the AAC. I would largely look at this league as being a better version of the AAC for football.

Basketball does not move the needle in the financials of all of this, but this will be a phenomenal move for UC hoops. Unless losing Texas and Oklahoma tanks the revenues so bad it totally decimates salaries and budgets for basketball, this league will continue to be better than at least one of the other power conferences every year. Staying with Houston while adding Kansas, Baylor, Oklahoma State, West Virginia, etc. is a huge basketball upgrade and UC could have a viable path to being a true hardwood power again like in the Huggins era.

With UC moving to the B12, they go from $7mil AAC TV deal to estimated 20-25mil when the renegotiated B12 TV contract excludes Texas and Oklahoma. That is a huge step up for them and will allow more resources for everything they do, most importantly recruiting and facilities. Give Fickell and Wes Miller these resources, and who knows where this program can go. Gonna be fun to watch.

With UC moving to the B12, they go from $7mil AAC TV deal to estimated 20-25mil when the renegotiated B12 TV contract excludes Texas and Oklahoma. That is a huge step up for them and will allow more resources for everything they do, most importantly recruiting and facilities. Give Fickell and Wes Miller these resources, and who knows where this program can go. Gonna be fun to watch.
The issue is that getting $20-25 million a year will be a huge step down for the schools that are already in the Big XII currently getting $37 million a year, and they're going to have to find ways to cut budget.

This will be a big win for UC, Houston, and UCF, but a big loss for the current members. Trying to keep pace in the financial war in football is going to be untenable for them, and I'd expect the incoming three to vault to the top of the league quickly as their resources multiply while everyone else is contracting.

The issue is that getting $20-25 million a year will be a huge step down for the schools that are already in the Big XII currently getting $37 million a year, and they're going to have to find ways to cut budget.

This will be a big win for UC, Houston, and UCF, but a big loss for the current members. Trying to keep pace in the financial war in football is going to be untenable for them, and I'd expect the incoming three to vault to the top of the league quickly as their resources multiply while everyone else is contracting.

Yes that a fact. They can blame Texas and Oklahoma for that. The Bearcats are all I care about and watch out. They took off in the Big East and they will just get better in the B12!