UC Bearcats

There’s a good chance the USC job is open next year. Helton probably has to win at least 10 games and the PAC 12 to save himself.

I can’t believe Helton still has that job. Every day they are digging the hole deeper for the next HC by keeping him around. They will be a total non factor in recruiting in next years class as well because of this situation.

I can’t believe Helton still has that job. Every day they are digging the hole deeper for the next HC by keeping him around. They will be a total non factor in recruiting in next years class as well because of this situation.
I think their current 2021 class is near top 10. If Fickell does take over in ‘21, he’ll inherit a First Round QB in Kedon Slovis

Idk if Urban wants to get back into coaching, but if I'm USC I'm writing him a blank check just to see.

It seems like he’s a bit too toxic for the college ranks. Plus, USC got hit hard financially with all of the field scandals relating to Admission. $ was a huge reason they kept Helton

Smart move by Fickell. I wonder if he's holding out for an elite-level job like OSU, ND, USC, etc.

Unrelated but he just brought in the 40th best recruiting class today. He's building a monster in Cincinnati.
I think if this happened a month ago he is more likely to leave.

I think their current 2021 class is near top 10. If Fickell does take over in ‘21, he’ll inherit a First Round QB in Kedon Slovis

Pretty irrelevant this early in the game, most schools don't even have 5 commits, USC has 4 I think. And if there's a coaching change, there will likely be decommits.

not surprising in the least. If he decides to stay at UC, this is great leverage for the contract extension he’s been negotiating with UC for months now.
Let’s hope this is the leverage he needs and the catalyst the university needs to extend and lock him up for a while. Being THE non-p5 school in the football headlines will do wonders for both the school and Fickell.

Luke to MSU....Coombs to UC.
God I hope not. UC's biggest successes have come with young up-and-comers. The one time they deviated from that (Tuberville), the program was decimated. Go with what has proven to work. You also have to think about trying to keep this historic recruiting class together as much as possible. Bringing in a guy who has zero connection to these recruits risks that. Freeman should be promoted to HC if Fickell leaves.

God I hope not. UC's biggest successes have come with young up-and-comers. The one time they deviated from that (Tuberville), the program was decimated. Go with what has proven to work. You also have to think about trying to keep this historic recruiting class together as much as possible. Bringing in a guy who has zero connection to these recruits risks that. Freeman should be promoted to HC if Fickell leaves.
I don’t think Coombs would “mail it in”. He’s a tireless recruiter. But I tend to agree, for continuity sake, if Fickell leaves Freeman would be someone to consider for sure.

I still think Cincinnati has some appeal for Fickell. I mean, I’d rather live in Cincinnati than Lansing. And making nearly $3m+/yr for as long as I want in Cincinnati certainly isn’t a bad deal. The university continues to raise its academic and athletic profile, so it has to be on the short list for any P5 expansion.

Agreed. Got to go with the guy who is hungry vs the a retread who doesnt give an eff

Not saying Kerry wouldnt give an eff but more in regards to someone else

Last edited:
I’d have no issue with Coombs or Freeman, tbh. Again, I’ve never seen anything that would lead me to believe Coombs wouldn’t be an absolute tireless dynamo if hired. I mean he’s what 58? Not 70. That said, I so want to keep Fickell.

I’d have no issue with Coombs or Freeman, tbh. Again, I’ve never seen anything that would lead me to believe Coombs wouldn’t be an absolute tireless dynamo if hired. I mean he’s what 58? Not 70. That said, I so want to keep Fickell.
Agreed.

Hypothetically speaking, doubt this is realistic, but would bringing back Butch Jones interest anyone?

Personally I would think Freeman would be a decent hire especially when you consider the candidates pool would be very limited with it being so late.

If Fickell leaves do you slap the interim tag to Freeman or give him the job outright?

Personally I think an interim tag would be a bad idea because a school like UC would really suffer recruiting wise for next year's seniors

Yeah, Fickell leaving now would put them in a tough spot. Coombs just went back to OSU, he may not be available. I think maybe they have to make Freeman the HC. Is he ready for that job? I guess I don’t know enough about him. Seems like a good d-coordinator and the players really like him.

Hard pass on Jones. Was that a serious suggestion? I thought he did a poor job at UC. Couldn’t figure out why Tennessee went after him.

Agreed.

Hypothetically speaking, doubt this is realistic, but would bringing back Butch Jones interest anyone?

Personally I would think Freeman would be a decent hire especially when you consider the candidates pool would be very limited with it being so late.

If Fickell leaves do you slap the interim tag to Freeman or give him the job outright?

Personally I think an interim tag would be a bad idea because a school like UC would really suffer recruiting wise for next year's seniors
Give Freeman the job outright. If LF would have left in December I would understand. I will never understand and probably never forgive him if he leaves in February after signing day has passed.

Yeah, Fickell leaving now would put them in a tough spot. Coombs just went back to OSU, he may not be available. I think maybe they have to make Freeman the HC. Is he ready for that job? I guess I don’t know enough about him. Seems like a good d-coordinator and the players really like him.

Hard pass on Jones. Was that a serious suggestion? I thought he did a poor job at UC. Couldn’t figure out why Tennessee went after him.
No just saw someone on Twitter asked it. Wouldnt go for it at all. However there were some people who were surprisingly ok with it.

They would be put in a really tough spot if he left. As you noted, is Freeman ready for it? How many coaches will Fickell take with him? How many good fit coaches will the new HC be able to realistically hire year 1 bc of the timing?

I think Fickell stays to be honest. Timing is bad on many levels and another year or two of doing well at UC he could potentially find a school that is better and isnt 2nd fiddle in their respective state

I’ve heard Coombs sees UC as a final destination for him if he was to take the job at some point. He loves the area and would not be using UC as a stepping stone.

For it to matter, Fickell would have to take the MSU job. He is highly interested. The timing is not good for him, but Power 5 HC jobs are coveted. Then Coombs would have to pull the plug on OSU after just weeks of returning. Again, though, I was told by a reliable source that Coombs desires the UC HC job. I agree he would do a good job. He is high energy, well respected and has a ton of connections. No comparison to Tuberville, who was just looking for a steady paycheck.

The rumor is MSU’s AD was supposed to fly on to State College to interview Penn St’s DC after talking to Fickell on Sunday, but flew back to Lansing instead. So....