U.S. Olympic Marathon Team Trials 1/14

Mr. Slippery

It's a sign that the Olympics will be here before we know it. The marathon trials will take place this Saturday in Houston. For many, simply qualifying for the trials is a dream come true. Best of luck to all participants.

Runners with Ohio ties who are competing in this weekend's marathon trials field:

MEN
Brian Olinger, (West Lafayette) Ridgewood HS, Ohio State University
Ryan Kienzle, (Canton) GlenOak HS, Malone University
Joshua Ordway, Holgate HS
Jason Ordway, Holgate HS
Leo Kormanik, (Akron) Ellet HS, Malone University
Craig Leon, Van Wert HS, Ohio University

WOMEN
Esther Erb, Case Western Reserve University
Tara Storage, Beavercreek HS?
Kara Storage, Beavercreek HS?
Ann Alyanak, Bluffton HS, former University of Dayton women's XC coach
Nicole Camp, (Creston) Norwayne HS

I'm sure there are others, so please give them a mention in this thread, or add any missing information about the runners I have listed.

Becki Michael, former Akron runner and Wright State distance coach, will also be competing in Houston this weekend. Good luck to her and the rest of the Ohioans in Houston!!

Ohio University graduate Abigail Swift (2010) will be competing. Looks like NBC will have coverage, Saturday 3pm-5pm. Look forward to watching!

Becki Michael, former Akron runner and Wright State distance coach, will also be competing in Houston this weekend. Good luck to her and the rest of the Ohioans in Houston!!

That name sounds extremely familiar. Did Becki Michael run at Marlington during her HS career?

That name sounds extremely familiar. Did Becki Michael run at Marlington during her HS career?

Yes, that is where she went. I'm pretty sure she wasn't a standout in HS but has sure come on in marathon training. I had her as a coach for a year and a half and was a true inspiration to all her athletes!

Does anyone know if the flooding in Houston yesterday is going to affect any of the marathon course? Quite a few streets and highways were under water due to some massive storms that rolled through.

On my way to Houston tomorrow morning. Look forward to watching the trials on Saturday and running the half marathon on Sunday. Weather looks like it is going to be great. We have not been informed to any changes to the commoners course on Sunday!

Saw Ryan and Nicole last night at opening ceremonies. They seemed ready to go for this morning. Race is in an hour and a half. The weather is perfect for them. We should see some great times by some great athletes!