Tuesday's SW Regionals

Final
Mason 1
Centerville 2

Centerville scored with about 5 minutes left in the first OT period. I watched the game online, and my assessment overall was that Mason was the more skilled team and controlled much of the play. Centerville played very direct and was content to kick the ball upfield without much build-up. Part of this was due to Mason's ball pressure. Centerville, on the other hand, was content to let Mason move the ball between the 18s without putting themselves out of position defensively.

All in all, I would say they were evenly matched and both teams were worthy of the victory.

CCD was the better team. A possible offside on the first goal hurt to start the 2nd half and rattled the girls. But they were just faster to the ball. Waynesville center mid pulled her quad in practice yesterday and having her nearly immobile opened the middle. CCD was just too good. Erbach missed one early in the first half I know she wants back but that's the game. Good luck to CCD going forward.

CCD was the better team. A possible offside on the first goal hurt to start the 2nd half and rattled the girls. But they were just faster to the ball. Waynesville center mid pulled her quad in practice yesterday and having her nearly immobile opened the middle. CCD was just too good. Erbach missed one early in the first half I know she wants back but that's the game. Good luck to CCD going forward.

I’m hoping to watch the replay online tomorrow. Sitting on the CCD side at the scoring end I would agree she appeared offside.

I suck at this, but here goes.
D2
Monroe / Badin..Monroe is among the best teams I have seen this season.
Oakwood / Bishop Hartley..Oakwood is very young, 7 soph/freshman on the field most of the time..They are , however, very well coached. I do not know Hartley, but have often had better luck picking parochial over public in these matchups and I picked Monroe over Badin, so you know...

D1
MND / Lakota West..I like MND in this one, but it will be fun to watch
Mason / Centerville..This one may go to PK's

D3
CCD / Waynesville.. Waynesville is very good.
Mariemont / Madeira ..Neighborhood rivalry right? and often seems to favor Mariemont for some reason, right?
I told you all, I suck at this.

D2
Monroe / Badin = 3-0
Oakwood
/ Bishop Hartley = 3-1

D1
MND / Lakota West = 4-2 I think MND did not get the full dose of KD and SJ last time.
Mason / Centerville = 2-0

D3
CCD / Waynesville = 3-2 I just hope I can find the live stream for this.
Mariemont / Madeira = 3-0

5 of 6 correct and I'm pretty sure I was the only person picking West. I have watched a lot of soccer over the last 20 years and that KD kid is just that special. Just missed it on the Waynesville game. Watched a replay of the live stream after getting home from the West game.

MND/Lakota. Fortunate enough to get 2 tickets to the game. I was 100% correct in my assessment of KD and SJ. She's a target forward for a reason and she was THE target last night. Everyone in the house knew you had to stop KD and MND had NO answer. She really is just that good. Looked to me MND came in over confident. The young and inexperienced MND coach cost them in my opinion. But on one run she literally faked out the MND centerback made her turn her back and then dribbled right past her and 3 more for an easy goal. Here's hoping Centerville learned something from this game. DO NOT let her behind you or next to you, do not single mark her. Heck go old school and play a sweeper. put your biggest and fastest skilled girl on the 18 and never let her leave keeping KD in front of you and help the affected center back. Does not take away from a great season for MND and West will become Princeton or Colerain next year with SJ and KD gone, so enjoy it now. KD Player of the game, the week, the month, the season, the city, the state....West wins vs 3-1 vs Centerville

Mariemont/Madeira, I was getting updates from my friends there. Never any doubt who was the better team. I said it before Mariemont might be playing the best soccer as a team anywhere. Lots of strong play from the middle and underclassmen. They will be dominant for another year or two. CCD having to play the game they played last night and now having to try and be even better on Saturday. That's a big ask. I say Mariemont 2-1 vs CCD. Mont's Maddie Murphy Player of the game. 6 goals and 2 assists in last 4 games watch out for this one!

CCD/Waynesville. I was pumped to be able to watch this game and Half 1 didn't disappoint. Erbach on Waynesville and Morman on CCD were fun to watch the first half belonged to the 2 of them, not surprised both came into the game with 25 goals. Though both girls missed 2 solid chances in the first half but were very disruptive. 2nd half Waynesville simply outcoached and their outside backs play was somewhere deep below awful. Right back was terrible all game, but left back went home at half mentally it seemed. CCD earned the win they played to their opponent weakness at halftime adjustment. CCD Morman Player of the game.

Last edited:
I happened to be in the house last night as well and I agree 1000% that KD is the best youth soccer player to ever play in this city. I just cannot imagine what goes through the opposing coaches minds when playing this young lady. Coming into the game you knew that the only thing you had to do is limit this kid to one maybe two goals and you win. I realize it is much easier said than done, but I would put three kids on her if I had to lol. SJ is good no doubt, but KD is in a different class and should not be mentioned with any other kid. You could put this kid on darn near any team in the city and they become the favorites over night.

If anyone from the Dayton area is reading this please tell Centerville to mark this kid with five players. Matter of fact tell your coach to suit up and play 13v11 and both coaches mark her. This looks like its another ring for KD oops I mean West.

My question would be than why did she play? Did both center midfielders pull their quads? Because both played slow and uninvolved. Your daughter and 19 both ended up trying to play forward and mid because of them that was an unfair ask of them against a team like CCD. The short one that subbed for a few minutes played the middle the best of the 3 but she hardly played. I didn't catch her number.

I happened to be in the house last night as well and I agree 1000% that KD is the best youth soccer player to ever play in this city. I just cannot imagine what goes through the opposing coaches minds when playing this young lady. Coming into the game you knew that the only thing you had to do is limit this kid to one maybe two goals and you win. I realize it is much easier said than done, but I would put three kids on her if I had to lol. SJ is good no doubt, but KD is in a different class and should not be mentioned with any other kid. You could put this kid on darn near any team in the city and they become the favorites over night.

If anyone from the Dayton area is reading this please tell Centerville to mark this kid with five players. Matter of fact tell your coach to suit up and play 13v11 and both coaches mark her. This looks like its another ring for KD oops I mean West.

She can't be stopped. She's been doing this since like U11 lol. Never seen a single player make such a huge impact their entire soccer career.

Waynesville's future is very bright. Sam and company will be in the running each year in the tourney. I think part of the lose was also experience of the players and coaches. CCD it appears has more but that will change over the next couple of years. I also agree that Waynesville was out coached last night. CCD made the right adjustments at the half to secure the win. I think the Mariemont vs CCD game will be great an dI am looking forward to watching it.

Last edited:
Well she can be stopped, since she didn't score in the regular season shutout. ;) But I agree, big time players make big time plays when it really counts and after she shifted position she did that in the second half to come back and earn herself the win and prove why she's been committed to the Big10 since 8th grade! Tip of the hat to her for that indeed but I wouldn't go as far as saying she dominated or that MND had no answer, she was the kick and chase target all game and was effectively stopped in the run of play all but those two times. MND actually looked like the better overall team, really had no trouble with possession or passing around LW through the midfield, and certainly capable of getting the win. They needed to make some adjustments up top, it was obvious LW was packing the box because they didn't trust their goalie after the 5-0 shutout in the first game. If I were Centerville I'd spend this week working on offensive creativity, probably make sure someone is ready to take power shots high from distance, and obviously have a widely understood plan A, B, and C for double coverage on KD no matter where she slots herself up top.

Betting KD would have rather faced Mason again next to try and avenge that loss too, but happy to see the region come down to a Dayton vs. Cincinnati game, just seems "right" when that happens! Agreed LW definitely drops in the GMC ranks next year after striking gold when KD decided to play HS, but MND returns a lot of talent and no doubt should be back contending for region next year. Selfishly I would like to see Loveland back on their regular season schedule, they haven't even met in the post season these past few years either.

My question would be than why did she play? Did both center midfielders pull their quads? Because both played slow and uninvolved. Your daughter and 19 both ended up trying to play forward and mid because of them that was an unfair ask of them against a team like CCD. The short one that subbed for a few minutes played the middle the best of the 3 but she hardly played. I didn't catch her number.

Ha, not sure how I can answer any of that.

The coach is very consistent in her starters and subbing, yesterday was no different. Lots of factors come into play but the biggest was that CCD was better. I was honestly thinking it might come to PK's after the first half or that it would be 1-0 game from a breakaway on a counter by either side, played out a little different.

coachg said:
Waynesville's future is very bright. Sam and company will be in the running each year in the tourney. I think part of the lose was also experience of the players and coaches. CCD it appears has more but that will change over the next couple of years. I also agree that Waynesville was out coached last night. CCD made the right adjustments at the half to secure the win. I think the Mariemont vs CCD game will be great an dI am looking forward to watching it.

Thanks for coming coach and thanks for the compliments. Sorry we didn't get a chance to talk more. We lose a lot this year between both mids, a forward and the keeper. Sammy gives it all she's got but she's no Dudukovich. So it'll be a growing phase for a bit as a team but they will compete. I'll be rooting for CCD over Mariemont even if I want CJ back with the club asap.

Well she can be stopped, since she didn't score in the regular season shutout. ;) But I agree, big time players make big time plays when it really counts and after she shifted position she did that in the second half to come back and earn herself the win and prove why she's been committed to the Big10 since 8th grade! Tip of the hat to her for that indeed but I wouldn't go as far as saying she dominated or that MND had no answer, she was the kick and chase target all game and was effectively stopped in the run of play all but those two times. MND actually looked like the better overall team, really had no trouble with possession or passing around LW through the midfield, and certainly capable of getting the win. They needed to make some adjustments up top, it was obvious LW was packing the box because they didn't trust their goalie after the 5-0 shutout in the first game. If I were Centerville I'd spend this week working on offensive creativity, probably make sure someone is ready to take power shots high from distance, and obviously have a widely understood plan A, B, and C for double coverage on KD no matter where she slots herself up top.

Betting KD would have rather faced Mason again next to try and avenge that loss too, but happy to see the region come down to a Dayton vs. Cincinnati game, just seems "right" when that happens! Agreed LW definitely drops in the GMC ranks next year after striking gold when KD decided to play HS, but MND returns a lot of talent and no doubt should be back contending for region next year. Selfishly I would like to see Loveland back on their regular season schedule, they haven't even met in the post season these past few years either.
Well the third young lady in the West awesome threesome is now the starting goalie at Auburn with at least 2 shut outs in 5 games played (out of 6 played by Tigers). What if she had not graduated early and stayed and played with her partners. Now that would have been something to see this year. Anyway, good luck West. I hope you bring home another ring.