Troy Davis out as Louisville Leopards Head Coach

My thoughts as well.

Perhaps he missed the area after being at Mount Union for 7-8 years? Maybe he wanted to be back closer to his Pittsburgh family roots?

Would you really want to be in Clarksville, TN., and hear the chants "Let's Go Peay" over and over again?
His wife hated TN, wanted to be back close to home

Great hire for Louisville. Just wonder if Kappas could be waiting for the dream job down the street at Mount Union to open up. He wouldn’t even have to move to change jobs. Kids could stay in Louisville schools. Perfect setup for the future.

I dont know anything about this guy, but Seems like really good hire for the Leopards. His resume is as good as high school could hope to get on their sideline. Since my boys finished up several years back, I have noticed a shape drop at games. The decline in attendance has had to be taking a toll on the athletic budget. One of the issues that will be interesting to keep an eye on is if Wrestling and Basketball coaches will all start to play nice? Way to many single sport kids in Louisville right now at the request of some coaches. Couple concerns already showing up.
1. Rumor that couple old coaches who didn't "have time" when other coaches were there are trying to weasel back on staff. Maybe just trying to secure more POs for tee shirts...
2. Hearing that old HC is lobbying to be on the staff and run the defense. The ego and nerve that takes is off the charts. For the good of the program it is time find new blood to infuse energy into the program. Old HC is completely Toxic and shouldn't be within 50 yards of a sideline on Friday nights.

I dont know anything about this guy, but Seems like really good hire for the Leopards. His resume is as good as high school could hope to get on their sideline. Since my boys finished up several years back, I have noticed a shape drop at games. The decline in attendance has had to be taking a toll on the athletic budget. One of the issues that will be interesting to keep an eye on is if Wrestling and Basketball coaches will all start to play nice? Way to many single sport kids in Louisville right now at the request of some coaches. Couple concerns already showing up.
1. Rumor that couple old coaches who didn't "have time" when other coaches were there are trying to weasel back on staff. Maybe just trying to secure more POs for tee shirts...
2. Hearing that old HC is lobbying to be on the staff and run the defense. The ego and nerve that takes is off the charts. For the good of the program it is time find new blood to infuse energy into the program. Old HC is completely Toxic and shouldn't be within 50 yards of a sideline on Friday nights.
Concerning coaches coming back....he may need them to come back...he can't run a program by himself. "The decline in attendance has had to be taking a toll on the athletic budget." Trying to find assistant coaches will not be easy. Its going to be interesting in how he handles the situation you play with the kids you have....college coaches have a better selection of players

Does Ye Olde Koach run a Buddy Ryan 46 defense?

My nephews both played small college ball and said a 46 wouldn't work. I was offended.

Last edited:
I’m going to give it some time. Let’s see who he chooses to surround himself with. He’s clearly the smartest guy in the room when it comes to coaching experience in all 3 aspects of the game, I don’t think there’s any debating that. He should get to pick his staff without any strings attached or pressure from the mob. I’ve heard the rumors, and I’m sure he’s getting leaned on in every direction about what he should do or needs to do. He’s going to get second guessed about almost everything for the next 7 months. That’s what happens when you sign up to rebuild a program that’s struggled the last 3 years, and the only way the noise goes away is by winning football games. I believe that if you give him the keys and get out of his way, take down all the obstacles, give it some time, the results will be there.

I’m going to give it some time. Let’s see who he chooses to surround himself with. He’s clearly the smartest guy in the room when it comes to coaching experience in all 3 aspects of the game, I don’t think there’s any debating that. He should get to pick his staff without any strings attached or pressure from the mob. I’ve heard the rumors, and I’m sure he’s getting leaned on in every direction about what he should do or needs to do. He’s going to get second guessed about almost everything for the next 7 months. That’s what happens when you sign up to rebuild a program that’s struggled the last 3 years, and the only way the noise goes away is by winning football games. I believe that if you give him the keys and get out of his way, take down all the obstacles, give it some time, the results will be there.
Even Urban Meyer wouldn't be able to transform the program in the short term. The main problem the new coach faces is numbers and that will take time to restore and sustain, period.

Even Urban Meyer wouldn't be able to transform the program in the short term. The main problem the new coach faces is numbers and that will take time to restore and sustain, period.
I’m hearing some high school kids that haven’t been out are interested again, we’ll see how many are showing up for the off season workouts.
By my quick count of the roster we lose 15 seniors, had 19 juniors and 20 soph, there were 27 listed on the freshman roster. Let’s see how those numbers move on the varsity roster next season.
I’m interested in seeing what Kappas does with the freshman next year, and what if anything changes in 7/8 LL. He’s clearly got his work cut out.

Got a chance to hear Coach talk last night at TD club. Impressed with his resume, carries himself well and sounds like he has an edge to him. He wouldn't confirm any staff members saying he basically hasn't made those decisions yet. Still concerning that old coach is offering/begging to be on staff from what I was told after the meeting. I would hope the administration would guide both parties away from that. It is time to start clean as much as you can. I get some holdover are necessary, and honestly some of those guys will do great under a good leader. After seeing that meeting last night, its also time to turnover the TD club/good old boys club.

Good luck to coach Kappas, his staff & the Leopard football program. Hopefully he’ll stand by his word & put his best players on the field & not succumb to pressure from the Booster Club, TD Club, Whining parents or Big money in Louisville from telling him who should play!!!!

Good luck to coach Kappas, his staff & the Leopard football program. Hopefully he’ll stand by his word & put his best players on the field & not succumb to pressure from the Booster Club, TD Club, Whining parents or Big money in Louisville from telling him who should play!!!!
"Big money" 😂😂😂

The way some of you people think about high school sports kills me

Actually schedule aside & it is a tough one, who plays or doesn’t play is part of the problem. If you’re not going to put your best players on the field then shame on you Coach Davis. He had who was probably the fastest player on offense walking the sidelines for 4-5 wks. getting very few offensive reps. Got his chance back in wk. 10 when starting qb went out. I think he proved them wrong. Now comes the play calling. Wow, from wk.1thru 10 absolutely bad, if you were there you saw it. Louisville scored first in quite a few games but by the beginning to middle of second qtr. you’d see the momentum change. Why, because opposing teams made adjustments & the rest of the way it would be a blowout. Happened almost every wk. Was told by more than 1 player that they seldom made adjustments throughout the game. They had probably at least 8 or more coaches every wk. and they couldn’t put their heads together & adapt a game plan. If they were making changes they were bad ones. Any good coaching staff is making changes after 1or 2 series. Yeah schedule is tough but with coaching like that you’re taking away any chance of being competitive. Those kids played their hearts out but sometimes you’re only as good as your being coached. If your an outsider coming into Louisville & play sports you’ll eventually get pushed aside. Coached Davis proved that this year. So I stand behind my previous comments, you tell me who’s pulling his strings.

Actually schedule aside & it is a tough one, who plays or doesn’t play is part of the problem. If you’re not going to put your best players on the field then shame on you Coach Davis. He had who was probably the fastest player on offense walking the sidelines for 4-5 wks. getting very few offensive reps. Got his chance back in wk. 10 when starting qb went out. I think he proved them wrong. Now comes the play calling. Wow, from wk.1thru 10 absolutely bad, if you were there you saw it. Louisville scored first in quite a few games but by the beginning to middle of second qtr. you’d see the momentum change. Why, because opposing teams made adjustments & the rest of the way it would be a blowout. Happened almost every wk. Was told by more than 1 player that they seldom made adjustments throughout the game. They had probably at least 8 or more coaches every wk. and they couldn’t put their heads together & adapt a game plan. If they were making changes they were bad ones. Any good coaching staff is making changes after 1or 2 series. Yeah schedule is tough but with coaching like that you’re taking away any chance of being competitive. Those kids played their hearts out but sometimes you’re only as good as your being coached. If your an outsider coming into Louisville & play sports you’ll eventually get pushed aside. Coached Davis proved that this year. So I stand behind my previous comments, you tell me who’s pulling his strings.
So more people who know people who got “screwed” and think they know everything. Got it. Coaches will continue to struggle if admins continue to let parents and community members control the narrative. It is literally happening everywhere.

"My kid didn't play enough"

Actually the player I was referring is not even my son. But since you’re stuck on the only problem being the the schedule I was just making the point that the coaching was a bigger issue than the schedule. If you went to the games you’d see that. As bad as he was at coaching it would apppear that he still knows more about football than you. Haha! As far as Shootnation we know why your son didn’t play!! Well guys I’ve a life so I’m done spending time on this site with you Smucks!!!

I hope coach Kappas has enough options that he doesn't have to consider hiring Davis. While he was DC for Demarco, no one in the history of Louisville football gave up as many yards or points as his defenses. He seemed incapable of change, much less in game adjustments. Nice guy, but please find something else to do.