Troy Christian Wrestling

Steve did a great job at TC and should be commended for his work there - and also while he was at Milton Union. Best of luck to Steve in whatever life brings him going forward.

While things may be a little lean for TC, hopefully they can get back to where they have been recently. I didn't realize Ty Morgan was back in the Dayton area after his collegiate wrestling career at Central Michigan. Certainly will be interesting to see how Ty can translate his scholastic wrestling success and college wrestling experience to the coaching realm with a couple pretty good kids to work with - at least - in Marshall and Toal.

Interesting comment about Jeff Jordan and his impact on Troy Christian wrestling. Steve Goudy and Jordan are very close and respect each other greatly and I assure you that Jordan understands his development of many of the TC wrestlers but would quickly tell you that they were successful in high School because of Steve Goudy.

Goudy and Asst. Randy Thome took a very very small D3 school and had a vision for the program that most wrestling people would have said they were nuts. They methodically built a great facility, put together a schedule that was a meat grinder (Ironman, Brecksville, Best of the SW) duals with Eds, Graham, Moeller, Lakota, Mason and any big school that would go with them. Year round wrestling and yes a great relationship with Jordan. This small school with no wrestling history to speak of won 3 State Championship and many forget it could have easily been 4 as they were a close runner up in 2006.

Just so we don't forget TC was never picked to win the State title the 3 years they won it. Goudy was a master at having his kids ready to go in late Feb and early March. Their schedule, which was unusual for a small D3 school from SW Ohio made them battle hardened. It was almost scary that they always won the matches they needed in Feb and March. Remember also that Troy Christian set the D3 point total record for a State Champ in 2008 with 162 points. They broke their own record they set in 2007. Add to this (2) Brecksville titles (how could this happen in Cleveland) and also an Disney AAU Community Division championship beating a stacked Montini Catholic squad in the Championship.

So in my book Steve Goudy goes down as one of the great wrestling coaches in Ohio history. He will be missed.

Interesting comment about Jeff Jordan and his impact on Troy Christian wrestling. Steve Goudy and Jordan are very close and respect each other greatly and I assure you that Jordan understands his development of many of the TC wrestlers but would quickly tell you that they were successful in high School because of Steve Goudy.

Goudy and Asst. Randy Thome took a very very small D3 school and had a vision for the program that most wrestling people would have said they were nuts. They methodically built a great facility, put together a schedule that was a meat grinder (Ironman, Brecksville, Best of the SW) duals with Eds, Graham, Moeller, Lakota, Mason and any big school that would go with them. Year round wrestling and yes a great relationship with Jordan. This small school with no wrestling history to speak of won 3 State Championship and many forget it could have easily been 4 as they were a close runner up in 2006.

Just so we don't forget TC was never picked to win the State title the 3 years they won it. Goudy was a master at having his kids ready to go in late Feb and early March. Their schedule, which was unusual for a small D3 school from SW Ohio made them battle hardened. It was almost scary that they always won the matches they needed in Feb and March. Remember also that Troy Christian set the D3 point total record for a State Champ in 2008 with 162 points. They broke their own record they set in 2007. Add to this (2) Brecksville titles (how could this happen in Cleveland) and also an Disney AAU Community Division championship beating a stacked Montini Catholic squad in the Championship.

So in my book Steve Goudy goes down as one of the great wrestling coaches in Ohio history. He will be missed.

:clap: :clap: :clap: I have a lot of respect for the program, and hope it carries on w/o Goudy... To see wrestling programs getting dropped left and right, and to see one start up and thrive says a lot about Steve and TC

I think Jeff Jordan did a great job at Troy Christian...

Jeff Jordan does a great job for a whole lot of Ohio wrestlers. But maybe the credit should be given to the athletes who are willing to go to the extra practices and camps on top of what they are already doing for their high school. Alot of great Troy Christian wrestlers trained at Jordans. But the reason they were great is not Jordan, it's the fact that they were willing to submit themselves to more than the minimal requirements of their program. This is true for almost any good wrestler. It's never simply the practices they go to for their high school. It's the work they're willing to put in over and above the minimum required.

Jeff Jordan does a great job for a whole lot of Ohio wrestlers. But maybe the credit should be given to the athletes who are willing to go to the extra practices and camps on top of what they are already doing for their high school. Alot of great Troy Christian wrestlers trained at Jordans. But the reason they were great is not Jordan, it's the fact that they were willing to submit themselves to more than the minimal requirements of their program. This is true for almost any good wrestler. It's never simply the practices they go to for their high school. It's the work they're willing to put in over and above the minimum required.

well said

MUdogs nice one we all agree with you!!! He have chased out every great coach that Milton has had. That is why Tipp City did away with him??

Ty's an awesome coach. He's worked with Avery Zerkle at the Golden Cross Club the past few years. Not as much this past year, but he'll do a great job at TC. Good Luck!!

I wrestled Ty Morgan in Jr. High when he was still at Fairborn. I think he was stronger and more technical then than anyone I wrestled in High School.

Anyone can say what they want about Jordan but I think he is good for the kids. My son never saw a wrestling mat in his life. 2 years ago I talked him into trying wrestling and sent him to Jordans Camp twice. He went 18 - 7 and 18 -3 the last two seasons and place in the top 3 at every open tournament we have went to.

tkdwn, Do I sense a little jealousy there? Knowing Steve Goudy his whole life, I can assure you that Jordan had more influence on Steve than on TC's kids. Steve and Jordan have been friends since Goudy was a wrestler at MU and Jordan at Graham. Jordan's influence on Steve's kids would be something that Steve would give credit to, but I assure you that Randy Thome and Steve Goudy were the reason's that TC was so successful.
I wish my cousin the best of luck in the future and you made every Milton grad very proud of your accomplishments.

another reason that milton union AD is.... nevermind its too depressing
Yea, and Steve will never get his just due that he deserves for being a state placer in wrestling when he was a student, building the MU Wrestling program back up after falling off in the late 80s, coaching MU's first state champion, and then working with the football program in 95-96 to help them rebound. Yes, the M-U AD made a huge mistake... but growing up with Steve made him somewhat biased toward Steve.
Proves that you can never return home a hero. Bob Schul was a cast out and he won a freaking Gold Medal in the Olympics. MU has never embraced their own.
I'm very proud of my cousin and his accomplishments as a wrestler, a coach and most importantly to him... a mentor for Christ to his kids. Congrats Steve!

Oh, and Steve will ALWAYS be a Bulldog, no matter who the AD is.

I agree with Tiny on that. MU chased out Goudy as wrestling coach, Thompson as Basketball coach (even though Randy wanted to take the program over again this last time- Koog said no way although Grudich is doing a great job) Scott Molfenter (Soccer), Tony Sergent (Football) after only two years, Coach Tyson (Basketball), and the latest in not making a play for Rusty Berner to take over the Basketball program. Just makes no sense at all.

Last edited: