TOSU @ ncaa: first round melt down

LHS WRESTLING

Buckeyes collapsing, and based on BIG10 results, can't say I am shocked. Malik dominated by a 21 seed, Demilio shut out by a former TOSU wrestler 3-0 (Kinner), and Ethan Smith gives up a last second escape to the 26th seed to lose (because the Buckeyes were going to focus on mat wrestling) Are we going to throw all our eggs in the monster class coming up and hope we see development? Seems like the past few years Buckeyes can not seem to develop the talent like they used to. Can we fix the top/bottom issues and mental mistakes? We are not what we used to be, and it is quite obvious. The best facility in the country, big time recruits...come on, no excuse to not be up there with the big guns. Very frustrating to say the least.

Last edited:

Buckeyes collapsing, and based on BIG10 results, can't say I am shocked. Malik dominated by a 21 seed, Demilio shut out by a former TOSU wrestler 3-0 (Kinner), and Ethan Smith gives up a last second escape to the 26th seed to lose (because the Buckeyes were going to focus on mat wrestling) Are we going to throw all our eggs in the monster class coming up and hope we see development? Seems like the past few years Buckeyes can not seem to develop the talent like they used to. Can we fix the top/bottom issues and mental mistakes? We are not what we used to be, and it is quite obvious. The best facility in the country, big time recruits...come on, no excuse to not be up there with the big guns. Very frustrating to say the least.

Did you watch the Emilio match? He wrestled well. Emilio losing hurts because eirman lost too...

Hoffman was a 21 seed and is in the quarters.

Last edited:
This original post may have been the most pre-mature and narrow focused meltdown in Yappi history. There were a lot of upsets that affected a lot of teams. Yes, the Bucks are all the way back in 11th after day one. But, overall, I think they are doing about what everyone thought. Smith being the only real head scratcher. Anyone that's watched Malik over the years had to know that anything could happen in his match. Hopefully he continues through the backside to score points. I thought Romero looked good and having 4 in the quarters isn't too bad.

For now, I'd hold off on firing Ryan. Lets see how the rest of the tournament goes!

Last edited:
This original post may have been the most pre-mature and narrow focused meltdown in Yappi history. There were a lot of upsets that affected a lot of teams. Yes, the Bucks are all the way back in 11th after day one. But, overall, I think they are doing about what everyone thought. Smith being the only real head scratcher. Anyone that's watched Malik over the years had to know that anything could happen in his match. Hopefully he continues through the backside to score points. I thought Romero looked good and having 5 in the quarters isn't too bad.

For now, I'd hold off on firing Ryan. Lets see how the rest of the tournament goes!
We’ve heard this every yr from some of these jagoffs! Crypes we heard it the yr after they won the natty!

Malik was wrestling a better wrestler and an AA from last season. If folks were surprised or thought this was an upset they were jaded by the numbers in front of the wrestlers name.
Exactly. I think smith was the only surprise. Someone said he has a good path in the wrestle backs. I’m not counting out Ethan to aa yet! And hoff is a nice surprise. Black shirt must be fitting him well.

The calls for Ryan's head are always perplexing. I think you'd be hard pressed to get another coach in there that cares as much as he does about his student/athletes and the community that he lives in. When I say community, I mean OHIO. He's a great man and does a lot for the youth in our state. On top of the great man he is, I'd like to know who else you plan on bringing in that will get the results he has gotten. I always see people wanting him out, be never see any alternatives...None that make sense anyway.

GO BUCKS!

I don't agree with firing Ryan, HOWEVER I do agree with the original threat statement. OSU has more money and facilities than some of the teams ahead of us. What i think we are seeing is how impactful some of the coaches we have lost over the years really were.

I don't agree with firing Ryan, HOWEVER I do agree with the original threat statement. OSU has more money and facilities than some of the teams ahead of us. What i think we are seeing is how impactful some of the coaches we have lost over the years really were.
Lou for sure. But he went on to be a good HC. The thatcher thing is still a head scratcher to me.

Might just be that guys like Steiber, Tomasello , Palmer, Snyder, Martin were pretty much guaranteed AA's . Not all ELITE recruits end up with that type of guarantee/performance. As I've said before here ...not ALL state champs...or ELITE recruits are created equal :) Can't pin it all on Ryan ..Pardon the Pun.

Did you watch the Emilio match? He wrestled well. Emilio losing hurts because eirman lost too...

Hoffman was a 21 seed and is in the quarters.
Happy for Hoffman. He is 44-27 in his career at TOSU before this season. He was considered to be an "elite" recruit (top 12 in the country, 3x PA CHAMP, FLO champ, NHSCA champ, Cadet WORLD bronze medalist). I am simply asking why are we struggling to develop elite recruits
(like Hoffman) the last few years that used to get molded into multiple AAs, and why are we still struggling in the same areas (top/bottom lack of offense)?
In my original post I never referenced the firing of anyone.

Case in point: Carson Kharchla...just lost. Was down 1-0 going into third. got rode 2 minutes, lost 2-0. Same old issue on bottom team has had for years.

Again, I simply like to see us perform better and compete with Penn State and the big boys. GO BUCKS!

Last edited:
Happy for Hoffman. He is 44-27 in his career at TOSU before this season. He was considered to be an "elite" recruit (top 12 in the country, 3x PA CHAMP, FLO champ, NHSCA champ, Cadet WORLD bronze medalist). I am simply asking why are we struggling to develop elite recruits
(like Hoffman) the last few years that used to get molded into multiple AAs, and why are we still struggling in the same areas (top/bottom lack of offense)?
In my original post I never referenced the firing of anyone.

Case in point: Carson Kharchla...just lost. Was down 1-0 going into third. got rode 2 minutes, lost 2-0. Same old issue on bottom team has had for years.

Again, I just would like to see us perform better and compete with Penn State and the big boys. GO BUCKS!
Thought Ryan throwing the brick screwed Kharch he was close to a reversal

Thought Ryan throwing the brick screwed Kharch he was close to a reversal
I thought he threw the brick because they called stalemate. But I am in class and had mute on.

He was near to a reversal for a long time. I dont think that was a coaching breakdown. I think they are so close at the top its sometimes just bad luck on the scramble

I dont understand how when you are in top position how dropping down below the waist is a 5 count for stalling yet it wasn’t in Kharch’s match. When Kharch was fighting for that reversal OToole hung onto a single leg for about 20 seconds and no count or stalling.

Can someone explain why that wasn’t a counting to stalling situation but if they just drop normally it is?

I dont understand how when you are in top position how dropping down below the waist is a 5 count for stalling yet it wasn’t in Kharch’s match. When Kharch was fighting for that reversal OToole hung onto a single leg for about 20 seconds and no count or stalling.

Can someone explain why that wasn’t a counting to stalling situation but if they just drop normally it is?
To be honest that's where OSU lost most of their matches. They are getting in on great shots, doing what you're supposed to do, but all of these guys are so hard to score on a stalemate or pd call seems to punish the attacking wrestler.

I do agree O'toole should not have been allowed to hang there as the top man and accrue riding time on top of that. I just don't know how you fix it by rule

I just describe as an, 'action' call. I don't like it and I would think it would be addressed after the season...