Top Ten Athletes in LaSalle History

We have to do some digging here..... I mean, if the guy got an offer to Indiana or something then he's legit. But it's possible that all he did was a really good cannonball ........ IM KIDDING!!!!!!!

I'm not into swimming, but my understanding is that its not uncommon for a swimmer or diving to train outside of the school team.

I'm not into swimming, but my understanding is that its not uncommon for a swimmer or diving to train outside of the school team.

I would guess that was especially true in the early 70's. Flynn was a student then so he couldn't have coached Trefzger............

Trivia question II

LS1944 got the first La Salle trivia question. Marty Bare was the first Lancer to win four straight GCL titles. I know of at least one other person who won four straight GCL individual championships. Who can name him?

So have we decided on a top ten? LM what say you about the list? You being older than me and all..... ;)

LS1944 got the first La Salle trivia question. Marty Bare was the first Lancer to win four straight GCL titles. I know of at least one other person who won four straight GCL individual championships. Who can name him?

I can............. "we don't we don't we don't mess around HEY!!!!"

Maybe we need a trivia thread........

Last edited:
So have we decided on a top ten? LM what say you about the list? You being older than me and all..... ;)

I don't want to make a rush to judgment. Remember we're still looking at the state champs. First we considered Scot Trefzger. Next let's take a look at the first track and field state champ in 1991.

Mark Arlinghaus is someone you would least expect to be an athlete. He wore glasses and looked like a nerd. I think he was an engineering major in college. It wouldn't surprise me if he were valedictorian at La Salle in 1991. He was the state pole vault champion in 1991 with a vault of 14'6" He was coached by Toby Dirr, one of the original teachers at La Salle. Toby coached the vaulters for decades beginning with the first varsity team in 1963. Mark was his first state champion in 1991. La Salle would go on to have two more state champions in the pole vault. What say you all about Mark Arlinghaus?

I don't want to make a rush to judgment. Remember we're still looking at the state champs. First we considered Scot Trefzger. Next let's take a look at the first track and field state champ in 1991.

Mark Arlinghaus is someone you would least expect to be an athlete. He wore glasses and looked like a nerd. I think he was an engineering major in college. It wouldn't surprise me if he were valedictorian at La Salle in 1991. He was the state pole vault champion in 1991 with a vault of 14'6" He was coached by Toby Dirr, one of the original teachers at La Salle. Toby coached the vaulters for decades beginning with the first varsity team in 1963. Mark was his first state champion in 1991. La Salle would go on to have two more state champions in the pole vault. What say you all about Mark Arlinghaus?

Which all american on the previous list do we remove for a guy who pole vaulted 14'6"...... none.

Next.

Honestly I think the only individual sport guy that's not on the list that may belong is Scott Trefzger........ IF he was good enough to dive in college. I have been unable to find anything in searching the net.

But I still dont know who off this list he would replace........

Haucke, Hasselbeck, Neyer, Smith, Douthard, Bader, BOckenstette, Padgett, Posey, Chandler.......

I think that's a pretty nice group. Gonna be hard to crack into it. We havent even talked about our previous All American LB/DE who's now at Tennessee.

Ben Martin played three sports: football, basketball, and track. In football he was an All-American and played in the same Army All American Bowl game that Posey did. He was an ok bb player and track man. Nothing really spectacular in either sport. To get an offer to Tennesse says volumnes about his ability on the grid iron. That's why we have to consider guys like him before Upward's recommendation of Wiz White who left La Salle so he could get more yardage as a running back at Winton Woods but whose best offer was to Ohio Univsersity, a MAC school.

Ben Martin played three sports: football, basketball, and track. In football he was an All-American and played in the same Army All American Bowl game that Posey did. He was an ok bb player and track man. Nothing really spectacular in either sport. To get an offer to Tennesse says volumnes about his ability on the grid iron. That's why we have to consider guys like him before Upward's recommendation of Wiz White who left La Salle so he could get more yardage as a running back at Winton Woods but whose best offer was to Ohio Univsersity, a MAC school.

Yep. Wiz White is NOT now nor will he ever be up for discussion. We are discussing alumni.

LM I wasn't recommending wiz white, i simply stated that on a different topic he had quite a year for any athlete, his sophomore year at lasalle would prove to be his most productive as a high school athlete. On the Ben Martin topic, a very good senior year in football but not great. he played out of his natural position which was defensive end. didn't come back to basketball until late in the season. i'm sure he will go on and have a stellar career at UT but didn't live up to the expectations most people thought he would have as senior year. he's no where near the top 10 if you are just considering what the athlete's did ahead of him while at lasalle.

upward, you're confusing me. Ben Martin was invited to play in the Army All American Bowl his senior year. He was named an All American his senior year . You come on here and say his senior year wasn't great after those kind of accolades.

Haucke, Hasselbeck, Neyer, Smith, Douthard, Bader, BOckenstette, Padgett, Posey, Chandler.......

Who on that list....... are the 9th and 10th ranked. If we decide there's someone we havent yet considered that belongs....... well, who are the one's we'll remove? I think Douthard (10) and Smith (9).

Adam Dehne won the GCL all four years in the 50 yard freestyle ('98,'99,'00,'01).
He was a state qualifier all four years in either relays or individual events.
His best state placing was 4th in the 100 yard butterfly in 2001, was also 8th in the 50 yard freestyle the same year. Adam qualified to the state meet in a staggering total of 12 events over four years.

Last edited:
LM did you see Ben play his senior year? I said good not great. Yes, he did play in the All American game and was named an All American but be honest he didn't make the big plays and have the big games that most anticipated. Maybe due to the fact that he played out of position. I believe he had a better junior year. That's just my opinion. And also pointed out that he should go on to have a great career at UT.

To be honest with you, I don't see Martin in the top ten either. We have other All Americans not on the list also.

For now, anyway...... this is the top 10.

Consistency

If we're going to indicate everyone else by their last name, let's do it with Chandler also. His last name is Burden.

I have some questions about Douthard. We never really discussed him. It was bigonetwo who put him on his list which everyone then accepted as gospel.

If we're going to indicate everyone else by their last name, let's do it with Chandler also. His last name is Burden.

I have some questions about Douthard. We never really discussed him. It was bigonetwo who put him on his list which everyone then accepted as gospel.

I don't have a problem with that. I have him 10th on my list as I said a week or so ago. He was a Parade All American...... LS' 3d all time I think.

Haucke, Hasselbeck, Neyer, Smith, Douthard, Bader, Bockenstette, Padgett, Posey, Burden.......

B.J. Naehring batted .444 in 1988. That puts him tied for 8th on the all time hitting list. He had 41 hits that year tied for 6th on the hit list. He's 2nd on the RBI list with 34

Now if we're talking about Tim Naehring, he's tied for 9th on the runs scored list with 29.

Now if you mean Mark Naehring, he second on the single season triple list with 6 and 9th on the RBI list with 27.

B.J. Naehring batted .444 in 1988. That puts him tied for 8th on the all time hitting list. He had 41 hits that year tied for 6th on the hit list. He's 2nd on the RBI list with 34

Now if we're talking about Tim Naehring, he's tied for 9th on the runs scored list with 29.

Now if you mean Mark Naehring, he second on the single season triple list with 6 and 9th on the RBI list with 27.

Tim belongs if the discussion includes what one did AFTER leaving LS. Possibly Mark as well as he got to Triple A with the White Sox and was a very good basketball player on 2 GCL champ teams. If we are just talking HS career......... then they don't.

As I recall, our moderator, the GREAT and POWEFUL Lancermania, has deemed that we are discussing HS career only.

tim was a lasalle athlete so by wording of the thread that makes a nice pro career means top 10. name me 9 more athletes that had a better career.

The title of the thread is the top ten athletes in La Salle history. Your La Salle history ends when you graduate.

WHat about all those who have competed at the HIGHEST level attainable in their sport?

Tom Luken...... Philadelphia Eagles 1972-78 Purdue University
Dave LaFary.... NO Saints 1977- 1986 Purdue
Don Hasselbeck Patriots, Raiders, VIkings 77-85 Colorado Univ (All American at Colo)
Jerry DOerger 82-85 NFL and USFL U Wisconsin
CHris Smith 85-86 KC Chiefs NOtre Dame
TY DOuthard 1997 Bengals U Illinois
Brent Celek 2007- Eagles. UC.
TIm Naehring Red SOx... 90-97
Zach Day 4 MLB teams 02-06.

Canes..... we looked at these guys a few weeks ago. THese are the only ones I could think of.

Ok I am a Colerain Cardinal but there is one guy who was an all-around athlete and had some bad luck preventing him from making a living in sports.

Bill Vaudebrugen (If I spelled it wrong please forgive)

Bill was on a talented football team along with Roger Rodenburg, Jack Hess (my kindergarten classmate), Don and Steve Hasselbeck and Dave LaFary.

Bill played linebacker was good enough to play as a freshman at UC (the first year they were eligible. Prior to that Freshmen were not allowed to play varsity D1) and baseball as a pitcher.

He was stricken with Hodgkins disease while at UC and had to give up football but he came back to the baseball team and excelled. I talked to former UC coach Glen Sample, who told me that had he not been sick, he could have been a major league pitcher.

Ok I am a Colerain Cardinal but there is one guy who was an all-around athlete and had some bad luck preventing him from making a living in sports.

Bill Vaudebrugen (If I spelled it wrong please forgive)

Bill was on a talented football team along with Roger Rodenburg, Jack Hess (my kindergarten classmate), Don and Steve Hasselbeck and Dave LaFary.

Bill played linebacker was good enough to play as a freshman at UC (the first year they were eligible. Prior to that Freshmen were not allowed to play varsity D1) and baseball as a pitcher.

He was stricken with Hodgkins disease while at UC and had to give up football but he came back to the baseball team and excelled. I talked to former UC coach Glen Sample, who told me that had he not been sick, he could have been a major league pitcher.

"Whitey" could play. ANd he could bring serious heat. Not sure which of our list to remove though. Smith and Douthard seem to be the ones "at risk"

And COlgar.... I always get grief from some when I assert Jack Hess was LS greatest QB ever.....

and I think it's "Vorderbrueggen"

"Whitey" could play. ANd he could bring serious heat. Not sure which of our list to remove though. Smith and Douthard seem to be the ones "at risk"

And COlgar.... I always get grief from some when I assert Jack Hess was LS greatest QB ever.....

and I think it's "Vorderbrueggen"

I think the tough spelling is the only reason Whitey is left off. I always called him by his nickname. Hess is much easier to spell. I have not seen all the candidates play but Jack could also play. Someone would have to convince me that the others mentioned were that much better.

At Struble Elementary we had a pretty athletic kindergarten class Hess was included and Big Jack Hoffman, who's dad played for the Chicago Bears and is in the XU Hall of Fame. Jack went to St. X, however.

I do know that although he was a fine player, Bill Koshover, is not one of the top 10 and I tell him that everytime I see him.

Only at LS

If you are considering only at LS and not future

AJ Nieman must be on the list

Doug Shields must be on the list

2 best QB's in LS history and both great high school baseball players.

Tim Naehring was not as good as his Brother BJ in high school only. BJ was a better hitter, it was not close. The only reason BJ did not go bigger then Miami OH was his grades were awful and he had to attend Miami at Middletown 1st before he could play college ball. Now Tim was better on defense but BJ also pitched in relief and had a cannon. He just did not play shortstop cause Ernie Petri played there.

Lee Heath is the best athlete I ever saw at LaSalle but that is just my opinion.

Ls1944 How good was the 88 baseball team at the plate.heath batted 9th. He was drafted in the 6th round. Freakin batted 9th. That team was a state title team but they had no pitching at all. They had 7 players play college baseball and 2 get drafted.

I agree gclsouth. I would throw in Ernie Petri he was a 3 sport starter

all city in soccer, starting gd in bball, and the best all around shortstop ls has ever had. The guy was awesome on defense and batted 3rd. He went on to have a great career at miami.