Top Teams in the State

Combination of X having an off night and Badin getting ? St X coaching staff so much more solid & experienced
X is indeed experienced at high school level. However Baden’s staff has a great deal of high level experience including college play and open level coaching/play.

Well done to Badin. Respect from X.

Combination of X having an off night and Badin getting ? St X coaching staff so much more solid & experienced

Where luck can always be a factor, you dont win on luck alone.. This team is top 3 in D2 and arguably top 6 or 7 in Ohio. Great senior leadership on this team and when folks sleep on them, they take advantage. X has lost 3 out of the last 4 matches, so where you mention they may have had an off night, it seems to be more than just an off night..

I was not able to see any of the match, but id like to hear from someone who was there, what the real factors were.

Low ceiling is certainly a factor if you’re not used to it, but I don’t think it should impact a good enough team to the tune of a 3-0 loss.
A low ceiling definitely does play a huge role in a tightly contested game. Only takes a couple balls to go off the ceiling and drop straight down to mess with everyone’s platform. Ask any former GGCL volleyball players that played against Mercy @ Mercy. The first thing they say is that firggin’ low ceiling

A low ceiling definitely does play a huge role in a tightly contested game. Only takes a couple balls to go off the ceiling and drop straight down to mess with everyone’s platform. Ask any former GGCL volleyball players that played against Mercy @ Mercy. The first thing they say is that firggin’ low ceiling
Same can be said for LaSalle and its low ceiling, however as someone mentioned, a 3-0 loss isn't just a low ceiling. Something is amiss over on North Bend Rd and they better figure it out before traveling to Moeller tomorrow night.

This isn't the first time someone hasn't been happy with Badin after taking an L from them. Maybe there's something to their actions, but as someone else mentioned when a school such as they are doing so well this year and beating traditional powers it's only better for boys Vball in the sport.

I'm also not sure why this poster felt the need to bring the X coaching staff into a discussion after their team was beat 3-0. The staff being solid and experienced is absolutely true, but silly to make a comment like that after a 3-0 loss.

Not saying it can't and doesn't play a role, but X's talent should still be able to compensate to the point of at least not getting swept. Something seems to be breaking down at X after such a great start, or weaknesses have been found and teams are exploiting them. Regardless, X is still a top 6-7 team in the state regardless of division.

Last edited:
Was able to watch a bit of the game yesterday. St.X was not too impressive, badin I would say was surprising but certainly a different team from when they played elder. St. X was in all of the games but never really had momentum. Not sure if they thought they were going to walk in and win easily or not but they looked worn out. Their passing struggled, but can't blame a loss of a game bc of the ceiling especially when they lose in 3 as somebody mentioned before. If it was a loss in 5 I could maybe understand that. I think Badin just wanted it more and St. X couldn't stop it. Was certainly some good volleyball back and forth. Missed serves was a problem for both teams. St.X seemed to miss some open attacks and have some bad communication at parts that ultimately did not help them. Badin's blocking at times was not good. Think this game and the fenwick v st.x shows that volleyball around Cincy is more competitive. Always fun to see cocky st. X BOYS lose.

Not saying it can't and doesn't play a role, but X's talent should still be able to compensate to the point of at least not getting swept. Something seems to be breaking down at X after such a great start, or weaknesses have been found and teams are exploiting them. Regardless, X is still a top 6-7 team in the state regardless of division.
Would totally agree, kastner hasn't been playing too well lately and he has always been their go to guy. Hopefully he can get everything going again, dude is fun to watch play. The team as a whole just needs to play with confidence and have momentum

Was anyone at the game that can give more details about X's play other than a low ceiling and missed serves causing them to lose?
Yes I indeed was at the game and I do know a thing or 2 about volleyball. I did notice that StX setter was having an off night, Carmosino, he was taken out in the 3rd set and replaced with prodigy junior, Mike Harmeyer. Also the undisputed, best player in the state, Henry Kastner, also was not playing his best volleyball, even though he had at least 10 kills.

Besides the point of StX not playing their best, the Badin Rams stepped up to the plate and delivered a serious blow to the bombers. Badin’s passing was on fire led by Andrew Hegemann and Samuel Vornhagen, multiple times they had momentum saving plays that kept badin’s energy high. Also my new commits, Mike and Dave, had a huge impact on last nights game. So excited to have them on my team next year.

All in all badin was the better team and they are destined for great things. #statebound #Feartheskirmish

Yes I indeed was at the game and I do know a thing or 2 about volleyball. I did notice that StX setter was having an off night, Carmosino, he was taken out in the 3rd set and replaced with prodigy junior, Mike Harmeyer. Also the undisputed, best player in the state, Henry Kastner, also was not playing his best volleyball, even though he had at least 10 kills.

Besides the point of StX not playing their best, the Badin Rams stepped up to the plate and delivered a serious blow to the bombers. Badin’s passing was on fire led by Andrew Hegemann and Samuel Vornhagen, multiple times they had momentum saving plays that kept badin’s energy high. Also my new commits, Mike and Dave, had a huge impact on last nights game. So excited to have them on my team next year.

All in all badin was the better team and they are destined for great things. #statebound #Feartheskirmish
Stats can be a bit off but it looks like hitting .350 with 16 kills and 3 errors would be a pretty good night. It doesn’t sound like Kastner was the issue.
Good luck to all of the local Cincy teams as the season winds down. I hope we see all of the above teams fighting it out for a D1 & D2 State championship.

Stats can be a bit off but it looks like hitting .350 with 16 kills and 3 errors would be a pretty good night. It doesn’t sound like Kastner was the issue.
Good luck to all of the local Cincy teams as the season winds down. I hope we see all of the above teams fighting it out for a D1 & D2 State championship.
Agreed. Looks like Cincy is dominating the landscape of Ohio volleyball. St. X doesn't have much time to regroup with a big GCL clash against Moeller Friday night! Should be another great match!

Good luck to all of the local Cincy teams as the season winds down. I hope we see all of the above teams fighting it out for a D1 & D2 State
Well stats don’t lie that is true, all I am saying is that he hasn’t playing how I saw him at the beginning of the year when they played Elder and beat them in 3.

Reactions from anyone attending the Moeller vs X game tonight?
Definitely got your money’s worth tonight! Moe looked good; St X was obviously good as well, but looked a bit out of sync compared to last month. Maybe St X gets back on track over the next few weeks.

I think it’s a shame either Elder, X or Moe won’t go to the state tournament. They are the best 3 teams I’ve seen from here, Dayton and Columbus. I have not seen anyone from north of Columbus, so maybe there is some team better.

I assume Moeller won. Do you have scores and any other info ?
Don’t have in depth details, as I didn’t see the match, but Moe won in 5; 25-19, 18-25, 25-19, 20-25, 15-10. Scores make it seem like it was a fun match. Seems like Elder’s starting to look like the top team in the state based on their recent play or at least getting hot at the right time. Don’t know the accuracy of it, but apparently X’s issues might stem from lack of a consistent lineup and too many changes being made? Others might be able to speak on that or disprove it better than I can though.

Don’t have in depth details, as I didn’t see the match, but Moe won in 5; 25-19, 18-25, 25-19, 20-25, 15-10. Scores make it seem like it was a fun match. Seems like Elder’s starting to look like the top team in the state based on their recent play or at least getting hot at the right time. Don’t know the accuracy of it, but apparently X’s issues might stem from lack of a consistent lineup and too many changes being made? Others might be able to speak on that or disprove it better than I can though.
I would agree that Elder is looking like the top team in the state. Even though St X has had a rough stretch this week losing to Badin, Moeller. I do believe that they have too many lineup changes, subbing out there middles and Liberos, and occasionally switching their outside to right side. St X still a great team all in all but it seems as if they are starting to decline at the wrong time of the year. Making Elder a Frontrunner for state this year.

I would agree that Elder is looking like the top team in the state. Even though St X has had a rough stretch this week losing to Badin, Moeller. I do believe that they have too many lineup changes, subbing out there middles and Liberos, and occasionally switching their outside to right side. St X still a great team all in all but it seems as if they are starting to decline at the wrong time of the year. Making Elder a Frontrunner for state this year.
I agree but it looks like Moe is playing well at the right time also. It should be another classic Friday night at Elder!

I agree but it looks like Moe is playing well at the right time also. It should be another classic Friday night at Elder!
This will have some serious effects on how the South region plays out in terms of seeding. If Elder wins, you'd expect them to get the #1, but from there its a toss up. If Moeller wins... oh boy what a mess. It'll be crazy how the voters choose the top 3 should that happen.

Also, big match with Walnut Hills and St X tomorrow. This will also have huge effects on the seeding. If WH pulls out a win, all hell will break loose in the seeding. Gotta love volleyball in May!

Are any votes sent in prior to Sunday? I know for basketball, there's a website where each coach ranks their District and it's open for about a week. If the voting is all done on Sunday, then obviously Friday night's matches will be a big topic of conversation.

Are any votes sent in prior to Sunday? I know for basketball, there's a website where each coach ranks their District and it's open for about a week. If the voting is all done on Sunday, then obviously Friday night's matches will be a big topic of conversation.
I'm not sure when the voting needs to be sent in, but the voting week ends on Sundays.

Has to be the first time in YEARS that Hilliard Darby has fallen out of the top 10 in the Division 1 state poll. Also, 8th in their own region?! I know they are relatively down, but they still have to be better than 7 other teams in the East Region

Has to be the first time in YEARS that Hilliard Darby has fallen out of the top 10 in the Division 1 state poll. Also, 8th in their own region?! I know they are relatively down, but they still have to be better than 7 other teams in the East Region
It is a bit nuts to see that. They are 2-0 against Olentangy and 1-0 against Olentangy Orange, but they have lost 3 of the last 4 or something like that. Voters must see whats recently happening

It is a bit nuts to see that. They are 2-0 against Olentangy and 1-0 against Olentangy Orange, but they have lost 3 of the last 4 or something like that. Voters must see whats recently happening
Gahanna getting a lot of love is interesting, too. Their record is great, but they haven't really played any top teams other than Walsh (Lost 0-3) and Beavercreek (Lost 2-3) at the very beginning of the year. I'd like to see how they stack up against a top team in terms of talent.