Top Teams in the State

You will need to have the AD’s support. That’s the main factor. Now in the covid world it’s not worth adding an additional headache/sport. The ball is in OHSAA’s court. We know how that will go. Crickets

The Boys' Volleyball Association should put some sort of presentation together that interested schools can present to their respective ADs to show them how much of a well-oiled machine the organization has been for a long time. Lots of schools willing to add club lacrosse, but won't budge on this. Monroe, for example, had to cancel their season this year due to 1.) low numbers and 2.) the school refuses to support the boys' team. They're always run by the head coach with no help or anything from the AD. It's ridiculous.

Badin takes down Fenwick in 5 tonight. They're going to be a serious contender in D2 this year. I can't see who else makes it out of the South in D2 aside from them. They've already played, and beaten, LaSalle quite handily, although they did drop one set there, but the other 3 sets weren't particularly close. They've also taken out Centerville in two at a tri-match with them and Northmont. Quite the gauntlet the rest of this week as they've got Alter tomorrow at Alter then Elder on Wednesday at Elder. Hell of a week for them if they can take even 1 of those 2 matches.

Big team who can really hit and run an offense with pace with two pretty smooth setters. A good number of their key contributors I don't believe play club either and are just multi-sport athletes. Love to see that every now and then.

Badin takes down Fenwick in 5 tonight. They're going to be a serious contender in D2 this year. I can't see who else makes it out of the South in D2 aside from them. They've already played, and beaten, LaSalle quite handily, although they did drop one set there, but the other 3 sets weren't particularly close. They've also taken out Centerville in two at a tri-match with them and Northmont. Quite the gauntlet the rest of this week as they've got Alter tomorrow at Alter then Elder on Wednesday at Elder. Hell of a week for them if they can take even 1 of those 2 matches.

Big team who can really hit and run an offense with pace with two pretty smooth setters. A good number of their key contributors I don't believe play club either and are just multi-sport athletes. Love to see that every now and then.
The twins (whom I think you're referring to) are pretty darn good and are committed to play both football and vollyeball at a D2 school next year. They played basketball as well, I believe, which is why they weren't on the club scene. Several of the Badin guys played for Ohio Premier, though, and a few other clubs.

In the D2 South region, it doesn't look like anyone stands a chance if LaSalle couldn't even muster a fight... but assuming LaSalle meets them in the regional final, maybe the weight of that game gets the Lancers into it more. There are only 6 teams in D2 South as well, so the winner of D2 South regional is pretty fresh when it comes to state. Can any of the other D2 teams challenge LaSalle? Royalmont or Taylor? Bacon and McNick seem to be rebuilding and struggling a bit.

As for Fenwick, they don't have much height, and Badin has a lot - probabaly some match up problems for Fenwick there. Badin's passing seems to be the biggest inconsistency early on, but if they can improve that, watch out.

The twins (whom I think you're referring to) are pretty darn good and are committed to play both football and vollyeball at a D2 school next year. They played basketball as well, I believe, which is why they weren't on the club scene. Several of the Badin guys played for Ohio Premier, though, and a few other clubs.

In the D2 South region, it doesn't look like anyone stands a chance if LaSalle couldn't even muster a fight... but assuming LaSalle meets them in the regional final, maybe the weight of that game gets the Lancers into it more. There are only 6 teams in D2 South as well, so the winner of D2 South regional is pretty fresh when it comes to state. Can any of the other D2 teams challenge LaSalle? Royalmont or Taylor? Bacon and McNick seem to be rebuilding and struggling a bit.

As for Fenwick, they don't have much height, and Badin has a lot - probabaly some match up problems for Fenwick there. Badin's passing seems to be the biggest inconsistency early on, but if they can improve that, watch out.
As much as I'd like to see the region be more competitive with one another and hopefully add some more teams, I don't think there's a chance it's anyone but Badin or LaSalle. Royalmont and Taylor are still extremely new programs with lots of inexperience and low numbers, and will probably struggle until they can both get a consistent stream of kids coming up through some sort of youth programs. Unfortunately, Bacon volleyball is currently shutdown for 2 weeks due to Covid so they'll lose valuable experience over that timeframe and McNick only had 9 kids come out for the whole program so I can't imagine the state of their program is great right now, which I hate to see. There was a time not too long ago when they were fielding 2 or 3 teams a season.

Wow, Badin takes down Alter in straight sets. 25-21, 25-16, 25-20. Looking like the top team by far in D2. Exciting matchup on board tomorrow night against Elder, too. Hell of a schedule this week and they're answering the call so far.

Wow, Badin takes down Alter in straight sets. 25-21, 25-16, 25-20. Looking like the top team by far in D2. Exciting matchup on board tomorrow night against Elder, too. Hell of a schedule this week and they're answering the call so far.
Wow, good for them.

HUGE wins for Badin this week. Tonight will be a heck of a matchup with Elder. Should be an exciting match to watch. It will be streamed on ehsports.com if interested.

I also saw that Darby dropped a match to Thomas Worthington this week.. 19-25, 15-25, 25-16, 25-18, 15-13. Does anyone have any insight on the Darby program this year?

HUGE wins for Badin this week. Tonight will be a heck of a matchup with Elder. Should be an exciting match to watch. It will be streamed on ehsports.com if interested.

I also saw that Darby dropped a match to Thomas Worthington this week.. 19-25, 15-25, 25-16, 25-18, 15-13. Does anyone have any insight on the Darby program this year?
Badin will be a tough out at the D2 tournament this year. Alot of size up front with big arms! They gave Elder a very good match tonight even though it only went 3. Probably the best Elder has looked this year.

Pretty shocking. It is shaping up that the GCL 3 of X, Moeller, and Elder are a head above the rest of the state. Hasn't been like that in years. Who is the 4th best team in the state? Badin, Walsh, Fenwick, a dark horse like Hilliard Bradley? Could be any number of teams at this point

Pretty shocking. It is shaping up that the GCL 3 of X, Moeller, and Elder are a head above the rest of the state. Hasn't been like that in years. Who is the 4th best team in the state? Badin, Walsh, Fenwick, a dark horse like Hilliard Bradley? Could be any number of teams at this point

The three you mentioned are definitely up there. Dayton Carroll has had a good start, only loss being a 5 set match vs Fenwick. Walnut Hills has only had a few matches thus far but their only loss is a close 4 game match vs Moeller.

Then you have the Beavercreeks and Centervilles of the state who have just had a gauntlet of a schedule. The record isnt there, but they have both played still competition thus far.

If i were to put up a top 5 AT THIS MOMENT. I would go:

1. X
2. Moe
3. Elder
4. Badin
5. Walsh

4th best in the state overall, I don't know for sure, there hasn't been enough interplay between regions yet. I think Bradley is pretty clearly the #1 in the East right now. The Gilbert kid is legit.

In D1, I think I'd have X, Moeller, Elder, Bradley, Centerville as the top 5.

In D2, Badin's gotta be #1 in the state for now. Walsh and Badin have a common opponent in Moeller, and Badin played them much closer.

That being said, once Elder settled in last night, Badin couldn't get anything going. Badin's offense is completely reliant on being in-system, and they were struggling out of system to get any half-decent swings.

4th best in the state overall, I don't know for sure, there hasn't been enough interplay between regions yet. I think Bradley is pretty clearly the #1 in the East right now. The Gilbert kid is legit.

In D2, Badin's gotta be #1 in the state for now. Walsh and Badin have a common opponent in Moeller, and Badin played them much closer.

That being said, once Elder settled in last night, Badin couldn't get anything going. Badin's offense is completely reliant on being in-system, and they were struggling out of system to get any half-decent swings.
Not that I think it would've made a difference if they weren't, but Badin seemed kinda gassed last night, especially after a close first set. Fenwick on Monday, Alter on Tuesday and then Elder last night is a brutal 3 day stretch for any team.

Think you're right about their offense as well and their passing/defense isn't on the same level as their offense can be when they're firing on all cylinders. They couldn't really handle Elder's tougher serves and, on the flip side, I thought a lot of Badin's serves were soft in comparison and were all pretty easy for Elder to handle and get in system more often.

Jonah is indeed legit. And he is a better human being than a player. Great family as well. Glad he found his place at GCU after early association with Pepperdine.

and I think it will be interesting to see who can dictate play on Friday- Moeller or X. Moeller appears to have an advantage in setter, middle, and right side. X has advantage in outsides and ball control so more range in offense. Should pay attention to size of Moeller on right side blocking X’s hitters. JJ/Ash against Kastner/Tooman. Size of beaver creek posed a little issue but Kastner carried X. Shouldn’t be as easy Friday but Ferris likes to run 32sto open up space.

Jonah is indeed legit. And he is a better human being than a player. Great family as well. Glad he found his place at GCU after early association with Pepperdine.

and I think it will be interesting to see who can dictate play on Friday- Moeller or X. Moeller appears to have an advantage in setter, middle, and right side. X has advantage in outsides and ball control so more range in offense. Should pay attention to size of Moeller on right side blocking X’s hitters. JJ/Ash against Kastner/Tooman. Size of beaver creek posed a little issue but Kastner carried X. Shouldn’t be as easy Friday but Ferris likes to run 32sto open up space.
I thik Carmosino's a better flat out setter than JJ... JJ obviously has the size advantage, but Carmo can get up pretty high for his size. Moeller will have to pass well to be in system often enough to use their advantage in the middle. Otherwsie, Tooman and Kastner will carry X to a win from the offensive end. There are few blockers in the state that truly get high enough to stop or disrupt Kastner when he's in system.

I’m a GCL alum and football/hoops guy. I am new to watching boys volleyball regularly. I’ve been lucky enough to have seen Moe, Badin, Fenwick, Walnut, Elder, and LaSalle all live this year thus far at some point. I am looking forward to seeing the Moe v St X match live tomorrow.
My question, seeing how the regions in D1 are divided, it looks like between Elder, Moe and St X, one will definitely not be going to the state tournament on June 5-6, correct? The way I read the tournament bracket breakdown is only 2 teams from each region make it. Maybe I have that wrong. Again, new this boys sport, but love it! Wish more boys in all schools would get involved.

You are correct. Only the top 2 teams from each region will advance to the final 8. The good part is if they are the best two teams they could meet in the State Finals. This is unlike like the girls tournament where you have to play each other earlier in the tourney and could never meet in the state finals.

I’m a GCL alum and football/hoops guy. I am new to watching boys volleyball regularly. I’ve been lucky enough to have seen Moe, Badin, Fenwick, Walnut, Elder, and LaSalle all live this year thus far at some point. I am looking forward to seeing the Moe v St X match live tomorrow.
My question, seeing how the regions in D1 are divided, it looks like between Elder, Moe and St X, one will definitely not be going to the state tournament on June 5-6, correct? The way I read the tournament bracket breakdown is only 2 teams from each region make it. Maybe I have that wrong. Again, new this boys sport, but love it! Wish more boys in all schools would get involved.
You got it. And it usually is brutal. The 3rd seeded team gets to decide who they want to play. You’ll see elder beats X 2-0, X beats Moe 2-0, Moe beats Elder 2-0. And it just comes down to who 3 is most comfortable playing.

I thik Carmosino's a better flat out setter than JJ... JJ obviously has the size advantage, but Carmo can get up pretty high for his size. Moeller will have to pass well to be in system often enough to use their advantage in the middle. Otherwsie, Tooman and Kastner will carry X to a win from the offensive end. There are few blockers in the state that truly get high enough to stop or disrupt Kastner when he's in system.
Agree about Carmo. Think he's really put some work in to get that vertical up because he's built like a free safety.

Not that I think it would've made a difference if they weren't, but Badin seemed kinda gassed last night, especially after a close first set. Fenwick on Monday, Alter on Tuesday and then Elder last night is a brutal 3 day stretch for any team.

Think you're right about their offense as well and their passing/defense isn't on the same level as their offense can be when they're firing on all cylinders. They couldn't really handle Elder's tougher serves and, on the flip side, I thought a lot of Badin's serves were soft in comparison and were all pretty easy for Elder to handle and get in system more often.
Very interesting game yesterday between Badin and Elder. After watching some of Badin's previous games the Badin team that played against Alter was definitely not the same team that played against Elder. Badin had some good moments that showed how good they could be, but was always trying to catch up in the game. Despite playing bad still was competitive in first two games. Badin's passing certainly struggled and did not allow them be in system. Elder's passing looked very good off of Badin's weak serve and allowed them to have control right back after they had lost a point or two. Certainly think playing fenwick in 5 and then alter the next day did not help. The boys looked unenergetic and tired. Elder is a good team no doubt, certainly top 3 in the state, but truly believe Badin should not have gone down in 3. Setters struggled on out of system balls and hitters could only do so much. Wouldve like to see Badin utilize their middle and back row attack more. Middles looked good but obviously not utilized on an out of system passing. Certainly miscommunication errors on Badins side showing mental fatigue. Not too impressed with Badin's showing, certainly a better team than that. Despite this after watching other games and seeing there high moments they certainly are a #1 team in state for d2. Whether they come to play like that or not is another question.

Very to cool to add a new follower for our sport! How would you rank the teams you have seen and can you remember any of the standout players in your mind?

Very to cool to add a new follower for our sport! How would you rank the teams you have seen and can you remember any of the standout players in your mind?
Thanks. I have 2 family members on different school teams now—at different levels too. So, the more I watch, the more I get into it. I was able to see guys who played for Ohio Premier this summer as well.
I’d say in D-1 Moe/Elder are top from what I have seen. But...that will change come tomorrow after I see St X v Moe. If St X is as good as other say, Elder and Moe will be chasing them. If Moe wins, then tip to them and the race is on. I know Elder got swept by St X last week, but Elder always comes to play in every sport. So, I’m guessing the rematch maybe different. Looking forward to Elder v Moe next week as well.
Badin in D-2 is top from what I’ve seen! Although, I did not expect the fight I saw from
Fenwick last night v Moe. So that was impressive! LaSalle will come along I’m sure, although I do not think they have the talent Badin and Fenwick possess.
I’m curious to see result of Loveland v Walnut game tonight. Wondering if anyone will knockoff Walnut to become a contender and a top 4 team in the region.
I will work on specific players as I watch more.

Carroll defeats Alter in 5 - 25-23, 17-25, 25-15, 18-25, 15-9
Darby defeats Olentangy in 4 - 21-25, 25-19, 27-25, 25-23

Well, after tonight it looks like St. X has a firm grip on the top spot in the state! Big matchup next week when Elder and Moeller play each other for dibs on 2nd. Also, next weekend, the Centerville tournament will feature the best the state has to offer. The winner of that tournament will have to earn it. Can't wait!

Well, after tonight it looks like St. X has a firm grip on the top spot in the state! Big matchup next week when Elder and Moeller play each other for dibs on 2nd. Also, next weekend, the Centerville tournament will feature the best the state has to offer. The winner of that tournament will have to earn it. Can't wait!
Wow, “firm grip on the top spot”?! Were you at the match? If not, watch the replay. If you were there, then clearly we didn’t see it the same way.
I was there and I would describe it as a heavyweight fight—back and forth.
Results:
25-23 X
27-25 Moe,
25-18, X
26-24 X
I am new to the sport and can say you’re off on the firm grip comment. These 2 will battle all year. And I’m pretty sure Elder will certainly have something to say as well. I cannot wait for the next match between them.

Wow, “firm grip on the top spot”?! Were you at the match? If not, watch the replay. If you were there, then clearly we didn’t see it the same way.
I was there and I would describe it as a heavyweight fight—back and forth.
Results:
25-23 X
27-25 Moe,
25-18, X
26-24 X
I am new to the sport and can say you’re off on the firm grip comment. These 2 will battle all year. And I’m pretty sure Elder will certainly have something to say as well. I cannot wait for the next match between them.
"Tentative" grip, is that better? I simply meant that after knocking off the other top 2 teams, they were in the driver's seat for the rest of the year. Relax boothmark77! Moeller and Elder will obviously get more shots at X, but for the time being, X has established themselves as the top team. Can we agree on that?

"Tentative" grip, is that better? I simply meant that after knocking off the other top 2 teams, they were in the driver's seat for the rest of the year. Relax boothmark77! Moeller and Elder will obviously get more shots at X, but for the time being, X has established themselves as the top team. Can we agree on that?
When you beat the other top 2 teams in the state, you have a firm grip on the top spot. There will be more matches down the road, but "Firm Grip" is the right analogy. Moeller, Elder and X will play each other multiple times in the future and I'm hoping Big Moe is the last team standing!