Top Players/Teams 2017

My take on the teams of 2017:

1: Darby

2: Brunswick

3: Moeller

4: Lakota East

5: Westerville North

Ignatius: has very little talent compared to Brunswick and I think Brunswick will handily take the #1 seed in the north.

Elder: mainly a defensive team now so we'll have to see

Eds: they have this kid named Bill I think??? Very good player from what I heard.

Roger Bacon: a lot of height but lacking offense

Brecksville-Broadview Heights: great footwork, should be top 7/8 team in state

Hilliard Davidson: good footwork, will surely give Darby run for their money

Ignatius: has very little talent compared to Brunswick and I think Brunswick will handily take the #1 seed in the north.

Eds: they have this kid named Bill I think??? Very good player from what I heard.

Westerville North? Why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They have heart. Heart wins games. Heart can change losing records to winning records. In the words of Gandhi, "Heart is what is heart becomes." And I think Westerville North has heart.

Slide St X into that #2 spot and you might not have a terribly far-fetched list. That is until the comments about St Ignatius not winning the North's top spot next year.

So you think Roger Bacon will be the best D2 team?

:laugh: at all of the bold. Your troll game is comical

My Predictions
-Darby defeats St. Ignatius in championship
-Moeller, X finish 3rd and 4th

First Team
Swabinksy (POY)
Mikesch
Moldovan
Bowling
Margevicius
Topp
Carpenter
Michals

Second Team
Miller
Woodson
Brinkerhoff
Holzheimer
Pung
Purcell

My Predictions
-Darby defeats St. Ignatius in championship
-Moeller, X finish 3rd and 4th

First Team
Swabinksy (POY)
Mikesch
Moldovan
Bowling
Margevicius
Topp
Carpenter
Michals

Second Team
Miller
Woodson
Brinkerhoff
Holzheimer
Pung
Purcell

:rolleyes: 9 out of 14 play for Vanguard. One player from the South, 3 from Darby and 4 from Westerville South hahaha. So which Vanguard team were you on last year Panthervolleyball?

Sounds about right to me. Vanguard definitely has the talent in this class. 5 underclassmen played 18's, and the 17's team was head and shoulders the best team for their age group in the state. Obviously the 17's didn't have the nationals they probably hoped for, but still had a great winter.

Who else would be first team then???? I don't see a lot of talent in the north and the south isn't too strong either

I would venture to say the best region in the state is the South with the big 3 GCL schools. Regardless if you don't think the individual talent is there, they will get one, possibly two on the first team and one or two more on the second team based solely off their teams being the best.

A few names to consider: Klusman from Elder, Pung from X, Roberts from X, Luers from Moeller, Goldschmidt from LS. And that doesn't even take into account the guys who might blossom this winter and become dominant players next year. It has happened before.

The homerism is funny, but not realistic.

There are 7 players that get 1st team all state for D1.

Safe to assume each region gets at least 1 representative.

Margevicius (St. Ed) was 1st team last year
Michals (St. I) was 1st team last year
Mikesch (Beavercreek) was 2nd team last year
Swabinsky (W South) was 2nd team last year

Those four I would consider locks to make 1st team.

After that I think you get two from the South and whoever Darby's coach decides to nominate first. Likely between Moldovan and Bowling.

From the South then you take two players between Klusman (Elder), Bowles (Moeller), Pung or Bretl (St. X), and Goldschmidt (LaSalle).

The only times teammates have made 1st team all state together have been Fanfulik and Kelso, who were pretty clearly two of the three best players in the state, and Danny Brandel and Lee Meyer, who were the two best players in the state. Don't see it happening this year

Nick Talbot was the greatest player to ever come out of the South and his talent and skill will long prevail after his matriculation from the hallowed grounds of St. Xavier

Nick Talbot was the greatest player to ever come out of the South and his talent and skill will long prevail after his matriculation from the hallowed grounds of St. Xavier

Talbot may not even be in the top 5 to ever go through St X.

Edit: Plus this is the 'Top players of 2017' thread.. Not sure why Talbot is even mentioned.

Last edited:
let's try something different in B1G Media Days players interviews - cannot choose your school/teammates:

Best offensive player:
Best defensive player:
Best Uniforms:
Hardest gym to play at:
Coach you’d most like to play for:
D1 State Champ:
D2 State Champ:
Sleeper Team: