Darby
Westerville South
Outside Looking In

St Ignatius
Lasalle
Dublin Scioto
Centerville
Beavercreek

Next year's top players are a lot harder to differentiate from the pack, but I'll give it a shot

Elder - Klusman, Albers (Jr)
Moeller - Bowles, Egan
X - Bretl, Pung (Jr)
Darby - Bowling, Moldovan, Brinkerhoff (Jr)
Westerville South - Szwabinski (My dark horse pick for POY), Woodson, Carpenter, Miller
Dublin Scioto - Topp
Alter - Rose (Jr)

I'm sure I'm missing many others

Top Tier Teams In No Particular Order

Elder
Moeller
St X
Darby
Westerville South
Outside Looking In

St Ignatius
Lasalle
Dublin Scioto
Centerville
Beavercreek

Next year's top players are a lot harder to differentiate from the pack, but I'll give it a shot

Elder - Klusman, Albers (Jr)
Moeller - Bowles, Egan
X - Bretl, Pung (Jr)
Darby - Bowling, Moldovan, Brinkerhoff (Jr)
Westerville South - Szwabinski (My dark horse pick for POY), Woodson, Carpenter, Miller
Dublin Scioto - Topp
Alter - Rose (Jr)

I'm sure I'm missing many others

Brinkerhoff is also a senior

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elder will likely take a step back, I would put them just under the state favorites for next year. Moeller and X will likely have an edge on them especially early in the year. The Elder juniors will have to grow up fast as they'll be counted on heavily seeing as only 2 guys saw significant PT this year.

One thing I find interesting is the senior group of players Westerville South has. I can't think of the last time a smaller, non-traditional volleyball school has come into a season with this high of expectations from a single class of athletes. The only group I would compare would be St. Ed's with McAndrews, Powers, and co. when they won the state championship.

Westerville South does have a lot of talent, however I don't see them getting past the final 4. I have the following "way to early rankings"
1- Darby
2- Elder
3- Moeller
4- St X
5- Westerville South

Count me as one that is skeptical of Darby. Darby's very best teams have had extraordinary setters: Cowen, Fanfulik, Miller. Not sure Lee is on that level. My too early, pointless rankings would be this:

1. Moeller
2. St. X
3. Westerville South
4. Darby
5. Elder

Don't get me wrong though, all of these teams will be very tight throughout the season

What makes you say that? Just curious, the north is the region I know least about

They were one of the youngest teams, if not the youngest team at State this year. They bring back one of the best setters in the state and their best hitter last year was a freshman.

My darkhorse for this year will be LaSalle. Bring back basically everything as well.

I still can't see them breaking through and winning GCL. They may take a match or two in GCL play but not likely a factor in State play, losing in the Regional Final.

They were one of the youngest teams, if not the youngest team at State this year. They bring back one of the best setters in the state and their best hitter last year was a freshman.

Ignatius, in my opinion, does not have one of the best setters in the state. If you remember the quarterfinal game Iggy V. Elder, Iggy lost that match solely because their setter only set their outside and allowed Elder to triple block. He may have the ability and talent, but he makes poor decisions on the court. He may be the best setter in the North, but I would not have him as one of the top setters in the state.

Ignatius, in my opinion, does not have one of the best setters in the state. If you remember the quarterfinal game Iggy V. Elder, Iggy lost that match solely because their setter only set their outside and allowed Elder to triple block. He may have the ability and talent, but he makes poor decisions on the court. He may be the best setter in the North, but I would not have him as one of the top setters in the state.

So you want to base that argument on one match?They played Elder twice last year and X once which were the matches I was able to see. He is a very scrappy player with good hands. He plays the entire rotation even though he's a shorter player and last season they were a very young team. I'm not listing them as a favorite but they are my dark horse team and he, along with the freshman OH, is a big reason why.

Now in regards to your argument, he had to set the outside in the State Quarterfinal because the middles were getting owned. The one middle for Elder had over 25 blocks in 3 matches at the State Tournament including a several huge solo blocks on Schindler in the State Semifinal and Bruggeman in the State Final (two of the better, if not best, middles in the State). Ignatius must have done something right though as they were the only team to take a set from Elder all weekend. :shrug:

With the guys graduating throughout the state, I'm not sure how you can't have the returning#1 setter on a State Qualifying team in the list of "best setters in the state." Mustard (Moe), Malott (Elder), Clark (PN), one from Darby escapes me at the moment, but all of those guys are gone. Roberts from X is another returner who i'd have on my list, but outside of those who else is out there? The junior setter from Moeller?

With the guys graduating throughout the state, I'm not sure how you can't have the returning#1 setter on a State Qualifying team in the list of "best setters in the state." Mustard (Moe), Malott (Elder), Clark (PN), one from Darby escapes me at the moment Cowen, but all of those guys are gone. Roberts from X is another returner who i'd have on my list, but outside of those who else is out there? The junior setter from Moeller Luers?

At the top of my head, no order of some other names out there:

Luers - Moeller
Swabinsky - Westerville South
Chenoweth - Fairfield
Kuhlman - LE (will only be a sophomore)

Luers and Swabinsky (though I haven't seen him play) would probably make the short list along with the two I mentioned above.

I think that many of you are underestimating this Elder team. I do not believe they will take a step back and I feel they have a great chance to repeat as champions.

Here is my top 5

1. Hilliard Darby
2. Elder
3. Moeller
4. St. Xavier
5. St. I's

I think that many of you are underestimating this Elder team. I do not believe they will take a step back and I feel they have a great chance to repeat as champions.

Here is my top 5

1. Hilliard Darby
2. Elder
3. Moeller
4. St. Xavier
5. St. I's

They have a lot to replace. Lose both middles, an outside, an All-State opp, a libero and a setter.
I imagine they have a decent amount of juniors playing, and those guys will have to grow up fast and learn on the fly.

They have a lot to replace. Lose both middles, an outside, an All-State opp, a libero and a setter.
I imagine they have a decent amount of juniors playing, and those guys will have to grow up fast and learn on the fly.

I would tend to agree. Although, I would never discount Elder's coaching staff. I would bet Elder starts the year with a couple losses no one sees coming, but then is a top 5 team in the state at the end of the year. Elder's JV had 3 very good players (OH, MH, OPP). Who I would assume start, mix that in with Klusman, Koenig, and last years juniors and they will still be competitive. Passing could be an issue though...

I would tend to agree. Although, I would never discount Elder's coaching staff. I would bet Elder starts the year with a couple losses no one sees coming, but then is a top 5 team in the state at the end of the year. Elder's JV had 3 very good players (OH, MH, OPP). Who I would assume start, mix that in with Klusman, Koenig, and last years juniors and they will still be competitive. Passing could be an issue though...

At this point, passing will be their achilles heel. The libero spot is going to be up in the air with a couple players (Hofmeyer, Dirr). But then you have Koenig, who cannot play all the way around so there is another DS needed. Assuming the other outside will either be Albers or Conway, there is not great defense/serve receive right there either. They will need to improve there over the off season, or it will be tough for them to compete with the best.

Its a shame that Scheiner quit playing. He would have really helped this team out on the defensive end.

Top Players(Standouts in my opinion)

North
Danny Michals(OH)- St. Ignatius
Phil Catanzero(OH)- St. Ignatius
Austin Gerwig(OH)- Hoban
Dom Ticcone-(OH)- Walsh
Phil Margevicius(OH)- St. Eds

East
Deion Woodson(OH)- W. South
Roman Szwabinsky(S)-W. South
Mason Moldovan(M)-Darby
Bobby Bowling(OH)-Darby
Derek Topp(OH)- Scioto

West ?
Parker Mikesch(L)- Beavercreek
Andrew Rose(OH)-Alter

South ?

Top 5 Teams D1
1. Darby
2. St. Ignatius
3. St. X
4. Moeller
5. Westerville South/Elder

Top 5 Teams D2:
1. Alter
2. Dublin Scioto
3. Hoban
4. Walsh
5. Carroll

Top Players by Region:

North: Margevicius, Michals, Holzheimer, Gerwig, Ticcone
South: Goldschmidt, Pung, Roberts, Bowles, Beck
West: Mikesch, Rose, Kuhlman(s), Hascher, Sagan, Gustely, Bridenbaugh,
East: Szwabinsky, Woodson, Moldovan, Topp, Bowling, Brinkerhoff, Warren

Top Players by Region:

North: Margevicius, Michals, Holzheimer, Gerwig, Ticcone
South: Goldschmidt, Pung, Roberts, Bowles, Beck
West: Mikesch, Rose, Kuhlman(s), Hascher, Sagan, Gustely, Bridenbaugh,
East: Szwabinsky, Woodson, Moldovan, Topp, Bowling, Brinkerhoff, Warren

Roger Bacon?

Felt obligated to throw at least one D2 kid in there....

He is a good player, it is just a shame that they don't have a setter and are throwing him in that role. The kid can pass and should be playing predominately OH. But what can you do when you don't have the players..