Top Players 2015

Brambleberry

Looking ahead to 2015 high school season. My first thoughts:

1) Will anyone besides Talbot from X and Feltz from DeSales win DI and DII Players of the Year? Definitely the two favorites. Would be shocked if Feltz doesn't win it. Most likely competition will be Beer from X, and Luebbe from Elder

2) Will it be X vs Elder again in DI finals? Very likely in my opinion

3) Will it be Alter and Watterson in DII finals? Alter should be back, but I believe Watterson will be replaced by DeSales

1.) I never like picking who I think will be the POY too far in advance. I have some that in the past and the individual player broke his back and missed the whole season. Soooo... I will give my 'players to watch'..

Of course as BB said, Talbot and Beer will be the ones to watch out of X.
Out of Elder, yes, Luebbe will be a force. I would also look at the other Luebbe (opposite, I think he is a cousin).
Also, you have the Russell twins out of Davidson who put up a good showing throughout the year and at the state tournament.
I would also say that a couple of players to watch on some not as good teams would be Tim Liab from Oak Hills and Will Goldschmidt of LaSalle. Will is only a sophomore, but on a young team (and he played a bit of MH last year on varsity), he could be a threat.

Then in DII you still have to remember that Vandenbrock is a senior this year. He will lead the Knights to another successful year, and will most likely be relevant throughout the year.

2.) Probably, but im sure Moeller and Darby will be in the mix

3.) I would put Alter in the DII again. They had a very young team last year, so I see them only getting better. Who they play, that will be up for grabs.

My pick would be Vandenbrock for POY. Alter/Walsh should be an amazing final four match. Could say the same about Mt. Vernon/DeSales for the region.

The Russell's are great players, but did not play club this winter and Davidson has a new coach. Not sure how that will impact their play.
Other East Region players to watch include Gahanna's Nathan Mathews and Vino Cabiness, Darby's junior setter Ian Cowen, Pick North's junior Dejon Clark (probably highest recruited player in Ohio right now).

East Region DII will be a competition.
Will Eichel, St. Charles
Levi Rhoades, Mt. Vernon
Feltz, DeSales
All 3 are playing on the same club team and improving. Whichever school has the better season might dictate who is the leading candidate for East POY.

What are everyones' thoughts on this being the most talented year of boys volleyball in Ohio history? I would have to say with how things have been going at the club level this winter and the amount of high level players returning from last year, that 2015 will be the "best" volleyball Ohio has ever seen. Despite a couple typical powerhouse schools being relatively "down" to their high standards(Moeller and Darby come to mind), I think almost every other school in the state will have one of the better teams in each programs history

Interesting take Brambleberry. I do believe the overall talent level will be the highest ever. Mostly based on the success at the club level of so many teams across the state. Plus more kids in Ohio are playing club than ever before. I don't believe the very top level of talent is as good as say 2011 or 2012, but the overall play will be very high.
DI in the North is missing big time players like Powers, McAndrews, Granger, etc.
South doesn't have a Casey Pieper type player.
Some examples...

disher hit the nail on the head. You may see some programs that have not succeeded as much in the past, putting forward their best teams this year, but I would be willing to bet that there will not be those teams like the 2007 Moeller team or the 2008 Elder team that just absolutely dominated the state. I can easily see the state champions at the DI level having 5-9 losses over the course of the year.

I agree with disher in saying that the overall skill may be higher, but there is not that top tier of players that there has been in the past. But once the season starts, I am sure there will be some great players emerging.

From a team standpoint I don't think DII will be as deep as last year, but you could argue that the best players in the state are concentrated in that division.
That has to be an anomaly for 2015.

Eichel - St. Charles
Feltz - DeSales
(Only DI commits to date)
Vandenbrock - Alter
Leslein - Hoban
Luby - Walsh
Rhoades - Mt. Vernon

All could start for the majority of the best DI teams in the state

Cadf, you mentioned that Clark was the most recruited player in Ohio right now.. You have any word on who he's hearing from and any offers that he has?

Cadf, you mentioned that Clark was the most recruited player in Ohio right now.. You have any word on who he's hearing from and any offers that he has?

Letters from PSU and UCLA
Visits to Lewis, OSU, St. Francis

Roster offer to OSU (they don't give money to Ohio kids...)

Letters from PSU and UCLA
Visits to Lewis, OSU, St. Francis

Roster offer to OSU (they don't give money to Ohio kids...)

Good to hear, sounds like StFrancis is picking up the recruiting in Ohio

Sad to hear that at about OhioState... Just think of some of the players they've missed...

Owen Mcandrews
Sam Holt
Andy Sellan
Colin Hackworth
Jarrod Kelso

1.) I never like picking who I think will be the POY too far in advance. I have some that in the past and the individual player broke his back and missed the whole season. Soooo... I will give my 'players to watch'..

Of course as BB said, Talbot and Beer will be the ones to watch out of X.
Out of Elder, yes, Luebbe will be a force. I would also look at the other Luebbe (opposite, I think he is a cousin).
Also, you have the Russell twins out of Davidson who put up a good showing throughout the year and at the state tournament.
I would also say that a couple of players to watch on some not as good teams would be Tim Liab from Oak Hills and Will Goldschmidt of LaSalle. Will is only a sophomore, but on a young team (and he played a bit of MH last year on varsity), he could be a threat.

Then in DII you still have to remember that Vandenbrock is a senior this year. He will lead the Knights to another successful year, and will most likely be relevant throughout the year.

2.) Probably, but im sure Moeller and Darby will be in the mix

3.) I would put Alter in the DII again. They had a very young team last year, so I see them only getting better. Who they play, that will be up for grabs.

Brothers not cousins.

I'd look for an all-GCL Final, whether that's X-Moe or X-Elder. Streak of runner-up finishes to come back and win the Championship the next year is still in tact. X can be the next one to join that list.