Top Coaches In the State

Crusaders1

Who would you say are the best coaches in the state? Right away you’d have to go with the big 3, but is anyone on their level?

Erford is a top level coach, that's unquestionable
Tierney at Elder does very
nice things and has a deep program! They flip the switch when it comes tournament time

In the North Mihalic is top dog.. Doing good things with Hoban

East.. I like the man who doesn't have a head job.. Shawn Parsell, the man is a class act and his resume at Darby was second to none.. Especially considering there wasn't a truly established central Ohio club team yet!

All the coaches listed in this thread so far are catholic school coaches, except the two Darby coaches mentioned. The advantages of coaching at a catholic school are exponentially greater than coaching at a Public school, and that is not debatable. In other words it's much easier to sustain success at these schools so let's not crown all these coaches so quickly.

Having said that my favorite catholic coaches are:
Sean Tierney - Elder(Class Act)
Craig Erford - Alter(Most involved catholic coach, also coaches club)
Andy Feltz - Desales(Top one or two recruiter in the east)
Conor Martin - Ed's(Hard to believe someone more knowledgeable in the North)
Matt Mihelic - Hoban(Him and Erford most involved coaches)

Public School Coaches:
Is there anyone outside of Darby???
Monte Moser - Centerville?

Monte Moser has done very well with the Centerville program. They have always been a factor in the West and have made some pretty good runs in the past few years. Centerville always seems to have an average JV squad, but those players seem to jump way ahead in development when they get to Varsity. Great development there.

Also, regarding public schools, I would not pass up Chris Morman of Oak Hills. Yes, the Highlanders have not been as good as other Cincinnati teams, but that is what is keeping them in the dark. As a program, Oak Hills has only been around for 10 years (I think...) and to go from no shows every year, to a team with relevance come playoff time shows great development.

Tierney has to be named one of the best. He is a great role model for those kids, and gets them to perform at a high level. As a head coach, he has three state championships (08, 10, 14) and 2 Runner-up's (09, 13) since he took over in 2008. Some could argue he inherited a great program, but his results since have proven he is top-notch coach.

I would only consider him behind the former coach of Moeller, Greg Ulland, who has an impressive 4 state championships and 4 runner-up's in a 9 year span!

In the East, Darby's coaches (Webb, Parcel, etc) along with other coaches like Andy Feltz at DeSales) has done a tremendous job with making Vanguard a force, and increasing the overall level of play at their high schools. Getting kids to play at that high level, and to buy in to the belief that they can win is huge at the high school level.

Tierney has to be named one of the best. He is a great role model for those kids, and gets them to perform at a high level. As a head coach, he has three state championships (08, 10, 14) and 2 Runner-up's (09, 13) since he took over in 2008. Some could argue he inherited a great program, but his results since have proven he is top-notch coach.

Not to be 'that guy' but Tierney took over the Varsity position in 2003. He had to take a leave of absence in the 2007 season because of a health condition that he miraculously overcame and then continued back where he left off in the 2008 season.

But I do agree with everything that you said about motivation. Everyone can teach the physical skills, but the mental and emotional skills are hard to teach, but Tierney has that down pat.

The most important thing a varsity head coach can do to help the program is to hire quality assistants from the Freshmen team all the way up to Varsity, and that is exactly what Tierney has done. I may be wrong on this but I think between all of Elder's coaches they have around 4 former all state players

The most important thing a varsity head coach can do to help the program is to hire quality assistants from the Freshmen team all the way up to Varsity, and that is exactly what Tierney has done. I may be wrong on this but I think between all of Elder's coaches they have around 4 former all state players

Yup, 3 current, one previous.

Jake Neiheisel - Second team All State 2009
Joe Bianco - HM All State 1996
John Seaton - First Team All State 1996
Mike Wauligman (previous Varsity Assistant) - POY 2000, First team All State 2000 Second Team All State 1999

Craig Erford at Alter. I'm not overly involved in volleyball but I know Alter has won the state 3 out of the last 4 years in D2.