Top Central Ohio Team Mid July Update

7 on 7s have been played. Most have taken a look at what teams are bringing to the table this year. Here is my best guess through Mid July

1. Pickerington Central No one touches them.
2. Hartley Experience and everyone who has seen them says they are as advertised.
3. Olentangy Liberty
4. Upper Arlington Have heard very good things about them.
5. Marysville They will be so big and physical they will be tough to beat.
6. Gahanna Still hearing they look as athletic as they ever have
7. Olentangy Orange
8. Westerville South Need to replace a great QB but loaded at skill positions.
9. Dublin Scioto Another team loaded at skill positions
10. Big Walnut Expect a jump from year 1 to 2 under Page

This list is sure to change after scrimmage season.

7 on 7s have been played. Most have taken a look at what teams are bringing to the table this year. Here is my best guess through Mid July

1. Pickerington Central No one touches them.
2. Hartley Experience and everyone who has seen them says they are as advertised.
3. Olentangy Liberty
4. Upper Arlington Have heard very good things about them.
5. Marysville They will be so big and physical they will be tough to beat.
6. Gahanna Still hearing they look as athletic as they ever have
7. Olentangy Orange
8. Westerville South Need to replace a great QB but loaded at skill positions.
9. Dublin Scioto Another team loaded at skill positions
10. Big Walnut Expect a jump from year 1 to 2 under Page

This list is sure to change after scrimmage season.
I think Liberty is a tad high all due respect to their last 6-7 years of consistency. UA as I said a while back should have their best team in a longer while now . Marysville is due for a breakout after last years solid season. Gahanna needs to put it together . Need to see Westy South improve defense and QB ? Burg should be probably be here . Big Nut? Top 15 may be ? Scioto is talented and has the QB . Hartley just may be the number two team in CO . Been noticing their increased talent level for a while now . Better players and more of them.

Any updates after watching some teams 7 on 7 I’ve seen Westerville North has a good looking QB, Groveport has a ton of skill players & Gahanna has some athletes but the QB was very inaccurate

Last edited:
I’ve seen Hartley and Desales- can’t be better looking programs in d3. Those squads have everything you need to win a title

Its hard to take anyone seriously who puts Big Walnut in their top 10, this is just a laughable.

It's fine to predict "improvement" from a team based on your assumption that the coaching will improve them, but there also has to be talent in the program to develop if you want to talk about being a top 10 team. I could easily name 10 other team that might be in this top 10 ahead of Big Walnut. If you want an example of one, go to the Berlin/Big Walnut scrimmage in a couple weeks.

Big Walnut loses their top offensive threat at RB from last season, on a team that that didn't demonstrate much depth at that position beyond him.

While we are on the subject of coaching, I'm sure we can start a debate on how a coaches connections play into the teams' schedule and there will be some morons who try to chime in and say that it all has to do with the AD. Big Walnut took an INCREDIBLY cowardly approach to their schedule this year, reaching down to play two D3 below avg teams as part of an OOC lineup so full of tomato cans that Nick Saban is calling up for tips on how to schedule because his games against Samford and Florida Gulf Coast U no longer seem soft enough.

So please spare me the "I told you so" posts when Big Walnut starts the season 4-0 playing a schedule most teams in the OCC would also go 4-0 against. Let's check back half way thru the playoffs and see where we are.

Its hard to take anyone seriously who puts Big Walnut in their top 10, this is just a laughable.

It's fine to predict "improvement" from a team based on your assumption that the coaching will improve them, but there also has to be talent in the program to develop if you want to talk about being a top 10 team. I could easily name 10 other team that might be in this top 10 ahead of Big Walnut. If you want an example of one, go to the Berlin/Big Walnut scrimmage in a couple weeks.

Big Walnut loses their top offensive threat at RB from last season, on a team that that didn't demonstrate much depth at that position beyond him.

While we are on the subject of coaching, I'm sure we can start a debate on how a coaches connections play into the teams' schedule and there will be some morons who try to chime in and say that it all has to do with the AD. Big Walnut took an INCREDIBLY cowardly approach to their schedule this year, reaching down to play two D3 below avg teams as part of an OOC lineup so full of tomato cans that Nick Saban is calling up for tips on how to schedule because his games against Samford and Florida Gulf Coast U no longer seem soft enough.

So please spare me the "I told you so" posts when Big Walnut starts the season 4-0 playing a schedule most teams in the OCC would also go 4-0 against. Let's check back half way thru the playoffs and see where we are.
Damn, tell us how you really feel ?

Damn, tell us how you really feel ?
This board is littered with absolutely horrible homer takes from people who lack the ability to understand how their program relates to others or have blinders on for a certain coach. These need to be called out and hopefully everyone else reading will become more rational and better able to have meaningful discussions about what is actually going on in football.

I'd like for this board to be full of insightful conversation where we can learn things from each other, because it's hard to keep up with more than a few teams in any detail (and our Olentangy middle schools have been playing Big Walnut for years, even if the High School is afraid to still, so I know Big Walnut somewhat and pay attention to it).

Having a discussion with anyone who thinks Big Walnut might be in the top 10 in COH is a complete waste of everyone's time.

After seeing the great mirth of Harry's amusing nicknames for the "Lunkskter" schools, I'm working in the off season on an equally funny and clever moniker for Dublin Coffman. So far I've come up with only a few:
  • The DC Chamois (pronounced shammies). Though it looks like a high-falutin name, in the end it's just something you can count on to be soft and fold like a towel.
  • The DC Shamwows. Similar concept, but they come with an obnoxious pitchman hyping the team with an infinite series of infomercials for a product that isn't worth the price.
  • The DC Shammacs. A team that had already answered the question of what do you get when you bring a coach who had success at a lower level into a community with no football work ethic (except for a few tourists temporarily housed in the low rent district)? No titles.

2021 League Championship Predictions (this is from 7on7s & info from people so far this summer)
CCL- Hartley
OCC Buckeye- Pick Central
OCC Ohio- Gahanna
OCC Central- Orange
OCC Cardinal- Marysville
OCC Capital- Scioto

2020 OCC/CCL Conference Standings Below​

CCL​

DeSales 4-1
Hartley 3-2
Watterson 2-3
St.Charles 0-3

OCC Buckeye Division​

Pickerington Central 5-0
Groveport 3-2
Reynoldsburg 2-3
Central Crossing 2-3
Lancaster 2-3
Newark 0-5

OCC Ohio Division​

Pickerington North 5-0
Westerville Central 4-1
Gahanna 3-2
New Albany 2-3
Grove City 1-4
Westland 0-5

OCC Central Division​

Dublin Coffman 5-0
Olentangy Liberty 4-1
Olentangy Orange 3-2
Upper Arlington 2-3
Hilliard Bradley 1-4
Hilliard Davidson 0-5

OCC Cardinal Division​

Marysville 4-1
Olentangy 3-2
Hilliard Darby 3-2
Olentangy Berlin 3-2
Dublin Jerome 2-3
Thomas Worthington 0-5

OCC Capital Division​

Westerville South 5-0
Dublin Scioto 5-1
Westerville North 5-1
Big Walnut 3-3
Worthington Kilbourne 3-3
Canal Winchester 2-4
Franklin Heights 0-5
Delaware Hayes 0-6

Last edited:
2021 League Championship Predictions (this is from 7on7s & info from people so far this summer)
CCL- Hartley
OCC Ohio- Gahanna
OCC Central- Orange
OCC Cardinal- Marysville
OCC Capital- Scioto

OCC-Central- Orange. Your credibility is shot. lol

CCL- Hartley
OCC Ohio- Gahanna
OCC Central- Orange
OCC Cardinal- Marysville
OCC Capital- Scioto

2020 OCC/CCL Conference Standings Below​

CCL​

DeSales 4-1
Hartley 3-2
Watterson 2-3
St.Charles 0-3

OCC Buckeye Division​

Pickerington Central 5-0
Groveport 3-2
Reynoldsburg 2-3
Central Crossing 2-3
Lancaster 2-3
Newark 0-5

OCC Ohio Division​

Pickerington North 5-0
Westerville Central 4-1
Gahanna 3-2
New Albany 2-3
Grove City 1-4
Westland 0-5

OCC Central Division​

Dublin Coffman 5-0
Olentangy Liberty 4-1
Olentangy Orange 3-2
Upper Arlington 2-3
Hilliard Bradley 1-4
Hilliard Davidson 0-5

OCC Cardinal Division​

Marysville 4-1
Olentangy 3-2
Hilliard Darby 3-2
Olentangy Berlin 3-2
Dublin Jerome 2-3
Thomas Worthington 0-5

OCC Capital Division​

Westerville South 5-0
Dublin Scioto 5-1
Westerville North 5-1
Big Walnut 3-3
Worthington Kilbourne 3-3
Canal Winchester 2-4
Franklin Heights 0-5
Delaware Hayes 0-6
I don’t see Groveport losing to anybody in their division besides Pick Central

St. Charles, Zanesville, Beechcroft and Hayes isn't going to tell us much about Big 'Nut. Unless, of course, they drop a game to any of them (like they did against Johnstown a couple years ago.)

And nice, s et. V

This is pathetic.....but also extremely well done! HAHA LOL!!!. Hat tip to you VERITAS. Enjoyed it on a few different levels!
In my first month being in CO, I was corrected by a colleague when I incorrectly said 'Lancaster [ Just like it looks} as in PA . He said it's 'Lenkuhster" . I was also told early on that Newark Ohio was NERK , not " Nework" as it is in New Jersey . I had only flown out of Nework , for years , not Nerk lol .

Interestingly enough I was corrected a couple years later that Newark Delaware is pronounced 'NEW " ARK . To be honest Sappy loves to bash Coffman and Dublin in general but I don't know about that effort . Came out of nowhere without much context as he was trying too hard . Grade ? C.