Top 5 Teams in your County's History

2014 LaSalle was a great D2 team that beat some solid D1’s, but they lost a game and I think there are some others in Hamilton County history that would take their spot in the top five. I mean, the Faust Moeller teams were loaded for about a decade.
But this is for Hamilton County and the stars of Faust's teams weren't from Hamilton county ... heck some not even from Ohio.

2014 LaSalle was a great D2 team that beat some solid D1’s, but they lost a game and I think there are some others in Hamilton County history that would take their spot in the top five. I mean, the Faust Moeller teams were loaded for about a decade.

I agree. La Salle 2014 was Top 5 this century but not all time.

Trying to ignore the idiots posting on this thread. Here is my Top 5 for Madison County which consist of 4 schools: West Jefferson, Jonathan Alder, London & Madison Plains since the playoff era 1972 to current. Sorry I wasn't around to see the teams before 1972. For those teams that made the playoffs it gives us a idea of how they fared vs other quality opponents:

1) 1982 West Jefferson 13-0 Division IV State Champions
2) 1976 West Jefferson 10-1 Class A State Champions
3) 2006 Jonathan Alder 13-2 Division IV State Runner Up
4) 1994 London 12-2 Division IV (or III) State Semifinalist
5) Way too many to decide from each school...
* 1977, 1983, 1998, 2013 or 2019 WJ teams
* 2005, 2012, 2019 JA teams
* 1992, 2018 London teams

I'm sure I missed a few teams but I think the top 4 are about right.

Auglaize:

St Marys Memorial - 93 State Champ
St Marys Memorial - 90 State Champ
St Marys Memorial - 92 State Champ
Minster - 89 State Champ
New Bremen - 20 State Champ

Many from St Marys will say the 78 (or possibly 79, I can't remember which) should be second on this list. Minster 14 or 17 could replace New Bremen in 20 and I wouldn't argue too much.

Auglaize:

St Marys Memorial - 93 State Champ
St Marys Memorial - 90 State Champ
St Marys Memorial - 92 State Champ
Minster - 89 State Champ
New Bremen - 20 State Champ

Many from St Marys will say the 78 (or possibly 79, I can't remember which) should be second on this list. Minster 14 or 17 could replace New Bremen in 20 and I wouldn't argue too much.
I'd say when Seth Harmeyer was snapping the ball for the cats in '16 when they finished runner up was a damn good team, possibly better than their '17 year. He brought their line to that next level. That is another team that could make top 5.

No discredit to Massillon, but how in the world could some determine a national champ in the 30’s\50’s?? Teams didn’t travel across country like they do now, you couldn’t physically watch anyone but your own team play nor could anyone really scout out of state.
Because dummy there was ONE guy that determined that. Some were retroactive, so I guess on that anyone of us could go back and name nat champs retroactive?

I'd love to hear which teams @radiodaveagain would rank as his best from Mercer County. Dave, which teams have you seen recently that you would call the best from Mercer County?

Larlham was a year or 2 older than that. IIRC, Walsh QB was a kid named Allaburda (sp?) accompanied by a RB named Basch.
Thanks....and you are correct, wasn't sure about QB. Larlham did graduate the year before...I do remember Basch. QB was Justin Alaburda, I thought he came a year after.

Lol right... but yeah I think naming national champs in high school football is stupid and silly.
But he is right. Their "national championships" were decreed by National Sports News Service which consisted of one guy (Art Johlfs) initially doing research at libraries in the Minneapolis area.

Last edited:
Anyone going to take a stab at Cuyahoga?
cleveland.com did this back in the early 2000s and I could not find a link. I want to say #1 was one of the Iggy teams from the early 1990s, Benedictine 1957 was either 2 or 3, there were also the Shaw & Cathedral Latin Teams that were national champs pre WW II. I also want to say they had a Parma team from the 50s or early '60s in there.

Huron County

1a. 2009 St.Paul
1b. 1974 Norwalk
3. 1997 St. Paul
4. 1999 St. Paul
5. 2014 St. Paul

2009 Flyers and 1974 Truckers were State Champs and rest of Flyers, State Runner-up.

There were some really solid Bellevue Redmen squads, but for this purpose, it's a Sandusky County school

Miami County

1. Troy 1971 10-0 pre playoffs
2. Piqua 2006 D-2 state champs
3. Troy 1985 12-1 D-1 state semis
4. Covington 1974 10-0
5. West Milton 1969 10-0
Who did the 85 Troy team lose to? I'm pretty sure it was 87 when I watched Troy beat Westerville North and then should have beat Moeller at Welcome Stadium. Correct me if I'm wrong but that team was very good as well.

I know nothing of the Covington and WM teams but I can't see them beating that Troy team I watched and the 2000 Piqua team. Just my opinion, I'm sure you know alot more than I do about all of the teams I mentioned.