Top 5 Teams in your County's History

Miami County

1. Troy 1971 10-0 pre playoffs
2. Piqua 2006 D-2 state champs
3. Troy 1985 12-1 D-1 state semis
4. Covington 1974 10-0
5. West Milton 1969 10-0

Brookfield team was tremendous and I thought about those Niles 60’s teams. All great teams.
1974 Harding team
21 out of the 22 starters or all 22 ran a 5.0 flat or below.
Ziegler Richburg, Hudson, and Valentine were well below a 5.0 flat.
Won the state championship game 40-8. Only reason they lost to Mckinley late in the season is I believe Jim Richburg the QB got hurt.
Oh I know my friend. I was there every week. If you are looking for a stiff rebuttal you won't get it from me.

The oldest of the national rating systems started in 1927, National Sports News Service (NSNS).
That year is very much in question. Here's what MaxPreps has to say about the one man organization, National Sports News Services -

Art Johlfs
National high school football rankings

A journalist, high school principal, basketball referee, coach and later real estate salesman, Johlfs wore many hats in his career, but his passion was always high school sports, particularly ranking the top teams in the country. Some websites list Johlfs as beginning his national football rankings as early as 1927, however archival newspaper research indicates that Johlfs began doing national football rankings in 1959 when he began operating as the "National Sports News Service" in Minnesota.

Johlfs did national football rankings only at the end of the season and he did so until he retired in 1978. He also retroactively selected mythical football champions back to 1927. Johlfs also did national rankings for boys basketball, girls basketball and ice hockey.

Mahoning

1. 2009 Cardinal Mooney 15-0 D3 State Champs
2. 2010 Ursuline 15-0 D5 State Champs
3. 2007 Cardinal Mooney 14-1 D4 State Runners Up
4. 1999 Poland Seminary 15-0 D3 State Champs
5. 2005 Canfield 14-1 D2 State Runners Up

Those are just the ones that I’m familiar with. A lot of people would say 1973 Mooney is #1, but that was way before my time. The State Championship Mooney teams of the 80’s were also before my time.
2007 Mooney and 2005 Canfield would probably be 1 and 2 if they had been able to stay unbeaten and complete their undefeated seasons with state championships.

Mahoning

1. 2009 Cardinal Mooney 15-0 D3 State Champs
2. 2010 Ursuline 15-0 D5 State Champs
3. 2007 Cardinal Mooney 14-1 D4 State Runners Up
4. 1999 Poland Seminary 15-0 D3 State Champs
5. 2005 Canfield 14-1 D2 State Runners Up

Those are just the ones that I’m familiar with. A lot of people would say 1973 Mooney is #1, but that was way before my time. The State Championship Mooney teams of the 80’s were also before my time.
2007 Mooney and 2005 Canfield would probably be 1 and 2 if they had been able to stay unbeaten and complete their undefeated seasons with state championships.
Mooney would've won D1 in '06 & '09. A healthy '07 Mooney squad would make things interesting, but X was very dominant that year.

Trumbull
1974 Warren Harding Panthers
1972 Warren Western Reserve Raiders
1990 Warren Harding Raiders
1971 Warren Harding Panthers
Tie: 1973 Warren Western Reserve or 2002 Warren Harding Raiders

'01 Harding is the most dominant team in school history. Just didn't finish the job. A matchup vs. '90 would be interesting though.

For Summit County, I'm sure that the 2018 and 2016 Hoban teams would be in the top 5 as well as the 2013 SVSM team. Tough to compare Mogadore because they are so much smaller, but some of their teams from the 1990s might have a case. SVSM teams from the early 1970s, and the Buchtel teams with Ricky Powers should be considered too. I believe Walsh Jesuit has a state title, and Barberton too (but way before the playoff era). 2015 Stow and 2014 Hudson both went 13-1 before losing in the Final 4 to eventual state champion St. Ed's. Lots of great teams to choose from.

For Summit County, I'm sure that the 2018 and 2016 Hoban teams would be in the top 5 as well as the 2013 SVSM team. Tough to compare Mogadore because they are so much smaller, but some of their teams from the 1990s might have a case. SVSM teams from the early 1970s, and the Buchtel teams with Ricky Powers should be considered too. I believe Walsh Jesuit has a state title, and Barberton too (but way before the playoff era). 2015 Stow and 2014 Hudson both went 13-1 before losing in the Final 4 to eventual state champion St. Ed's. Lots of great teams to choose from.
Barberton’s state title was in 1947. Great team.

Walsh won it in 1999 (div 2) ..Only loss was to Elder first game. I believe Dan Larlham was the QB. Pretty solid schedule also
1625423759342.png

Richland County, so far as the Joe Eitel era is concerned:

1. 2017 Shelby 13-1 Final Four, lost to 15-0 Steubenville after having a 4th quarter lead, had the highest avg. margin of victory in the entire state, regardless of division (roughly 50-5). From memory, at least 9 games began the 2nd half with a running clock. Led by the current University of Virginia QB, Brennan Armstrong.

2. 2019 Mansfield Senior 13-2 State Runner-Ups, lost to Trotwood-Madison in 2OT after blocking a PAT to force OT. Their star was Angelo Grose, who is a Michigan State cornerback currently. His younger brother is fielding several D1 offers at the moment.

3. 2019 Lucas Cubs 12-3 State Runner-Ups, lost to Marion Local, but kept the score reasonable. Using the ever reliable Transitive Property, they were just three degrees of separation from beating 9-3 Dublin Jerome.

4. 2008 Lexington 11-1, lost to 15-0 Sylvania Southview 38-24. Had big regular season wins, and a UMichigan recruit at QB (he didn't pan out spectacular at the next level, but hardly a slouch).

5. 2016 Shelby 11-2, lost to 13-2 Steubenville (state runner-ups). This game is characterized by Shelby fumbling the ball in Steubenville's redzone for a reverse TD as time expired. Turned a potential 14-7 halftime lead into a 7-15 deficit. Steubenville goes on to lose to Bishop Hartley, just *barely*.

Honorable mention for someone who is too young to recall: 1974 Shelby Whippets. This was the first year the OHSAA had a state playoffs. Norwalk won the state championship that year, but they went 9-1, with the lone defeat coming to 10-0 Shelby (who did not qualify under the much reduced field of playoff qualifiers). I imagine a team like this makes it up there in the top 5, but I don't have enough judgement to say where.

Mooney would've won D1 in '06 & '09. A healthy '07 Mooney squad would make things interesting, but X was very dominant that year.
2007 Mooney was probably the most dominant team I’ve ever seen. Even more so than 2006 and 2009. If Danny McCarthy had stayed healthy, they probably would’ve won state easily. Maybe not in D1 as you mentioned, but they would’ve made it interesting against St. X.
Which brings up the question, where does that 2007 St. X team rank on the all-time List of Hamilton county teams?
i’d imagine schools like St. X, St. Ed’s, and St. Iggy have produced some of the best teams in the entire state, regardless of county.

As for 2005 Canfield, They probably would have won the D2 state championship If Angelo Babbaro hadn’t gotten knocked out of the championship game against TCC.. They were dominating before he got hurt in the 2nd quarter. I was at that game.

YTOWN would have a really great list.

1. 2017 Shelby 13-1 Final Four, lost to 15-0 Steubenville after having a 4th quarter lead, had the highest avg. margin of victory in the entire state, regardless of division (roughly 50-5). From memory, at least 9 games began the 2nd half with a running clock. Led by the current University of Virginia QB, Brennan Armstrong.

2. 2019 Mansfield Senior 13-2 State Runner-Ups, lost to Trotwood-Madison in 2OT after blocking a PAT to force OT. Their star was Angelo Grose, who is a Michigan State cornerback currently. His younger brother is fielding several D1 offers at the moment.

3. 2019 Lucas Cubs 12-3 State Runner-Ups, lost to Marion Local, but kept the score reasonable. Using the ever reliable Transitive Property, they were just three degrees of separation from beating 9-3 Dublin Jerome.

4. 2008 Lexington 11-1, lost to 15-0 Sylvania Southview 38-24. Had big regular season wins, and a UMichigan recruit at QB (he didn't pan out spectacular at the next level, but hardly a slouch).

5. 2016 Shelby 11-2, lost to 13-2 Steubenville (state runner-ups). This game is characterized by Shelby fumbling the ball in Steubenville's redzone for a reverse TD as time expired. Turned a potential 14-7 halftime lead into a 7-15 deficit. Steubenville goes on to lose to Bishop Hartley, just *barely*.

Honorable mention for someone who is too young to recall: 1974 Shelby Whippets. This was the first year the OHSAA had a state playoffs. Norwalk won the state championship that year, but they went 9-1, with the lone defeat coming to 10-0 Shelby (who did not qualify under the much reduced field of playoff qualifiers). I imagine a team like this makes it up there in the top 5, but I don't have enough judgement to say where.
1974 was year #3 for Playoffs

Shelby went 9-1, lost to Columbian. Columbian, Norwalk and Shelby were NOL tri-champs. What put Norwalk over the top was beating SBC co-champ Clyde Fliers on Week 10. Shelby didn't get much with Madison.

The playoffs started in 1972.

The talk of a national championship is a joke. Those were being picked by one man, Art Johlfs, who ran National Sports News Service, his own one-man organization.
But he got to watch all the games on PPV so he could see just how good teams were all axross the country

I guess I need to check my history better, woof. I guess the memories of those that I've heard from in Shelby were more fallible than I trusted, or perhaps my own.

Last edited:
STARK COUNTY

1934 Canton McKinley
1940 Massillon Washington
1950 Massillon Washington
1961 Massillon Washington
1997 Canton McKinley
Note: all five of these teams were National Champions

Notable State Title teams not making list of Top Five: 1959 and 1961 Massillon Washington; 1981 Canton McKinley

STARK COUNTY

1934 Canton McKinley
1940 Massillon Washington
1950 Massillon Washington
1961 Massillon Washington
1997 Canton McKinley
Note: all five of these teams were National Champions

Notable State Title teams not making list of Top Five: 1959 and 1961 Massillon Washington; 1981 Canton McKinley
You mentioned the 1961 Massillon WHS twice. (On the list & Not making the list)

Yes, Maxie, you are right, my oversight. I intended to list the WHS team of 1970 as one of the "notable state title teams" which did not make the top 5 list. My top 5 list remains as listed.
Thanks.

Wasnt Mansfield and Lucas in 2019 the only two teams from richland county to make the championship game

Belmont County
1. 1995 Bellaire Big Reds
2. 2005 Bellaire Big Reds
3. 1996 Bellaire Big Reds
4. 2006 Bellaire Big Reds
5. 2004 Martins Ferry Purple Riders

Interesting that ‘05 and ‘06 Big Reds and ‘04 Riders were all bounced in the state semis by Youngstown Cardinal Mooney.
‘95 Big Reds lost state final game in double OT to Versailles. ‘96 Big Reds were defeated in the state finals by Germantown Valley View.
‘95 and ‘05 Big Reds were quarterbacked by Jose Davis and Nate Davis respectively. Very special talents.

Westmoreland County, Pa

1. 1927 Mt Pleasant Hurricanes- outscored opponents 615-0
2. 1968 Latrobe Wildcats- won last WPIAL championship played at Forbes Field
3. 1971 Kiski Area Cavaliers- no playoffs in Pa, ranked #1 in State, #5 nationally two slots behind T C Williams of Remember the Titans fame.
4. 2007 Jeanette Jayhawks- led by Terrell Pryor
5. 1965 Greensburg Central Catholic Centurions- undefeated and recognized as the county’s best by the Grensburg Tribune Review, 7 players earned D1 scholarship.

Pennsylvania didn’t have a statewide tournament till @1980.